I don't get it... | Syracusefan.com

I don't get it...

cto

Administrator
We just deleted another Cooney-bashing thread -- probably the 50th such thread this week.

What is it with (alleged) adults that they feel a compulsive need to keep repetitively bashing a 20-year-old kid who works his butt off 12 months a year in an effort to get better so that he he can help his team and his school.

What more can be said about him? He didn't play as well as we (and he) would have liked; his shots were not falling; his three-point shooting percentage declined. Okay, I've said them -- the same things as the persistent Cooney-bashers here have said 100 times. It does not make you look smart or clever to keep repeating them.

Last edited:
They need Brandon back so they'd have to think who they'd like to bash more.
It is so immature to keep the same old comments coming. I'd guess most of them are from posters who couldn't even keep up with Cooney when they were in their prime.

The Cooney bashers are just as annoying and obnoxious as the Cooney lovers.

Thus the Cooney War of 2014 was started.

The Thugs (Cooney Lovers) vs. the Bashers.

They need Brandon back so they'd have to think who they'd like to bash more.
It is so immature to keep the same old comments coming. I'd guess most of them are from posters who couldn't even keep up with Cooney when they were in their prime.

Cooney's a division 1 athlete playing for Syracuse.

I'm 20 years old and probably couldn't run 2 miles.

Easy way for attention seekers to gain attention is to post something negative or controversial.

I'm sure what Boeheim says to Cooney after he goes 1/12 is way worse than the things posted on this board.

He's 20 years old playing D1 basketball for a top 10 program. He is an adult first of all, and he didn't get to where he is today by everyone holding his hand telling him how great he is. I also doubt he reads these forums.

And soon as he starts hitting them again they'll be saying things like shaky potatoes.

I think we have a REALLY soft definition of bashing rolling right now.

Some of mine have been deleted. The content of the posts were numbers from the box scores. That's not bashing. They didn't even include an interpretation of the numbers that could be construed as bashing.

[qote="skurey, post: 1008702, member: 727"]Do you want answers or is this one of those threads where open discourse is not allowed?[/quote]

I imagine it's up to you depending if you offer new relevant talking points or if it's just a repetitive tiresome constant rehash of negative observations, projections etc aimed at a player. Not too difficult to determine really if one wants to take the time to think before posting.

I don't think anyones really been "bashing".

I mean there's been some...slightly harsh at worst...criticism of Cooney.

I'm all in when it comes to deleting player bashings and would suggest also a week of time out for persistent bashers. Please, let's not be syracuse.com...

You haven't seen what's been deleted.
I am curious why some of mine have been lumped in with threads that have been considered "bashing" threads.

So this comes after the thread about giving up wins for another title is locked. I'm trying to figure out how much (if any) criticism is warranted, or if we should just talk about how awesome it is we underachieved in the tournament (again), no one could shoot straight, and our only pg just declared after one year.

Our players knew what they were getting into when they signed a LOI for a major D1 program. I think criticism is fine as long as it doesn't degenerate into personal stuff ie "he sucks," "wasted schollie," etc.

And that goes double for the guy who gets paid millions to coach a game.

[qote="skurey, post: 1008702, member: 727"]Do you want answers or is this one of those threads where open discourse is not allowed?

I imagine it's up to you depending if you offer new relevant talking points or if it's just a repetitive tiresome constant rehash of negative observations, projections etc aimed at a player. Not too difficult to determine really if one wants to take the time to think before posting.[/quote]

There have been many great posts on Cooney's struggles that have been either deleted or called out for bashing. These people go into great detail breaking down the numbers showing the extent of his poor play. These posts are very informative, despite the results not being sunshine and rainbows.

We just deleted another Cooney-bashing thread -- probably the 50th such thread this week.

What is it with (alleged) adults that they feel a compulsive need to keep repetitively bashing a 20-year-old kid who works his butt off 12 months a year in an effort to get better so that he he can help his team and his school.

What more can be said about him? He didn't play as well as we (and he) would have liked; his shots were not falling; his three-point shooting percentage declined. Okay, I've said them -- the same things as the persistent Cooney-bashers here have said 100 times. It does not make you look smart or clever to keep repeating them.
Thank you, cto. Kid works so hard on his game, made huge leaps from last year...and does anyone have that Cooney prediction thread? I think we'd all be surprised. He's coming around, and imagine if he improves as much as he did from last year.