I don't get it... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I don't get it...

We just deleted another Cooney-bashing thread -- probably the 50th such thread this week.

What is it with (alleged) adults that they feel a compulsive need to keep repetitively bashing a 20-year-old kid who works his butt off 12 months a year in an effort to get better so that he he can help his team and his school.

What more can be said about him? He didn't play as well as we (and he) would have liked; his shots were not falling; his three-point shooting percentage declined. Okay, I've said them -- the same things as the persistent Cooney-bashers here have said 100 times. It does not make you look smart or clever to keep repeating them.
since you brought it up, i thought it was pretty lame that this one got locked

http://syracusefan.com/threads/cooney-3-pt-stats-outlier-city.73106/

lots of players work hard, even the ones on the bench

I think the biggest thing Cooney could do to improve his game next year is not be afraid to show the pump fake and take a few dribbles for an open jumper. I thought when his shooting went south he turned himself into a one-dimensional player only content to shoot the three and he is capable of much more. Nothing wrong with going to the jumper to open up the three.

I'm not sure when it becomes excessive. I know these guys are better players than most individuals their age. I know they are certainly better than I am. I'm in agreement that what they do in their personal time (assuming they are abiding by laws and team rules) is their business. And of course family is off limits.

However, as this is a Syracuse basketball forum, I will critique them and it may not be constructive. After a player has a bad game, I'm probably not going to say "Player X is a fine individual as well as student athlete. He is more talented and works harder on his game than most others his age. His game today was below par, but I understand this will happen from time to time."

I'm probably just going to "Player X was awful today." If I thought he had was bad for the season, I would say that as well. As CTO stated, most of us did not see the deleted posts/threads. I don't know how the posters went to far. Was the content obscene? Or was it just that there have been so many threads on this topic?

you absolutely can not say anything about Trevor other than he is great and a 3 point assassin. There has never been a deeper love (although not even remotely warranted) then the love TC gets here. Its baffling. Life goes on, just gotta hope he is recruited over. He is a solid 5-10 min guy off the pine for a big time program.

I think the biggest thing Cooney could do to improve his game next year is not be afraid to show the pump fake and take a few dribbles for an open jumper. I thought when his shooting went south he turned himself into a one-dimensional player only content to shoot the three and he is capable of much more. Nothing wrong with going to the jumper to open up the three.
Good advice. Pump fake and draw a foul or pump fake and step to side for an open look. He exhausts me watching him run around. Also think we're more likely to run a secondary break next year which would provide prime opportunities for TC to spot up for open threes.

We just deleted another Cooney-bashing thread -- probably the 50th such thread this week.

What is it with (alleged) adults that they feel a compulsive need to keep repetitively bashing a 20-year-old kid who works his butt off 12 months a year in an effort to get better so that he he can help his team and his school.

What more can be said about him? He didn't play as well as we (and he) would have liked; his shots were not falling; his three-point shooting percentage declined. Okay, I've said them -- the same things as the persistent Cooney-bashers here have said 100 times. It does not make you look smart or clever to keep repeating them.

My 2 cents...bashing is questioning character, saying other things along those lines.

Discussing stats that are obviously public and what expectations should be from players in relation to stats and game performance are fair game at this level.

So this comes after the thread about giving up wins for another title is locked.

I was surprised that one got deleted - I didn't intend it to be insulting towards Boeheim in any way whatsoever. I was just asking what we would guess HE would do if given that hypothetical question.

I think the point is that it's not just the bashing, it's the bringing up of the same points over and over again. When people post multiple times that Cooney's a bench player or we're in trouble if Cooney's a starter, etc. we get the point. Say it once and be done with it. We get it, you don't think Cooney's a great player, and shouldn't start. Okay understood.

And one thread that got deleted brought up that Cooney's stats in the last 8 or so games of the year and used that as a reason for Cooney being a bad player. Sure you used stats, but could there be any more skewed data.

The point is, with any topic, there's no need to keep saying the same things over and over again. There's plenty of ways to have an intelligent discussion. No need for people to constantly overreact in threads when there's disagreement.

I did a statistical analysis to show that Trevor's slump coincided with the overall team slump, but I love Trevor's contribution to the team this year. Overall he really outperformed most peoples expectations. We had a thread at the beginning of the year where most people thought he wouldn't average 8 points a game. I think everyone agrees he played bad near the end of the season, but I do think their is a small faction of people who want to use his slump to prove to everyone that is the player he really is because they were so shocked at his hot start through the first 2/3rds of the season and were wrong about their predictions. Dude was literally the only guy capable of making jump shots on entire team. Nobody else has his skill set on the team.

Honestly it's bad practice to do this to one of our players. Recruits won't want to come here if they see fans abandon support of them if they struggle a little bit. It's not like the first time this has happened. Rautins, scoop, and Triche all faced similar difficulties the past few years. Instead of bashing a guy I think it's more constructive to talk about how a player can improve for next year, especially if he is going to be a cornerstone of the program the next two years. Cooney wasn't the only guy who played bad. Basketball is a team sport. Other players contributed to our downfall as well.

Guys like Trevor who work hard will be fine. I'm sure his goal this offseason is to improve as much as possible to prove all the bashers wrong. Until then it seems this horse has been beaten dead.

I'd say that it is pretty safe to assume that if you wouldn't say it to their face (understanding that they are most likely much bigger and stronger than you), Then you probably shouldn't be saying it in the first place.

Correct me, please, if I'm mistaken. As a board monitor, is it not your role to set the rules and then enforce them? Why not simply delete what you deem "bashing" without the schoolmarmish lecture of what or who looks smart or not? Obviously, by deleting the excessive Cooney-bashing threads and then posting about having deleted them you add to the commentary rather than simply letting it travel its natural course. My understanding of your moderator role is to delete posts that cross the line into personal attacks, not merely to close off what you think is unintelligent or consider repetitive, and then announce broadly that you've done so. That you know many, if not all, of the players and coaches and their families shouldn't afford you the path to defend them from suitable criticism apart from inappropriate personal attacks.

Am I mistaken?

As for young Cooney working his butt off, I assume every player on the roster would do the same. As Coach Wooden once sagely said, "Do not confuse activity for achievement." Just because Trevor works hard doesn't make him immune from appropriate criticism nor does it make him special. At this level, it's the price of admission for any player.

I was surprised that one got deleted - I didn't intend it to be insulting towards Boeheim in any way whatsoever. I was just asking what we would guess HE would do if given that hypothetical question.

eao, while I have much respect for you and think you are a valuable member of the board, you were throwing chum in the water there..

Considering Boeheim himself has said he's not a numbers guy and doesn't pay attention to all that, I'd bet he'd be willing to give up some of his wins for another title. After all, the goal at SU is to a title every year. We are lucky enough to have the players to do so, so I can't imagine him not giving up X number of wins to hoist another trophy.

you absolutely can not say anything about Trevor other than he is great and a 3 point assassin. There has never been a deeper love (although not even remotely warranted) then the love TC gets here. Its baffling. Life goes on, just gotta hope he is recruited over. He is a solid 5-10 min guy off the pine for a big time program.
If that was intended to parody the anti-Cooney viewpoint, it's pretty funny. But I don't think that was the case.

Correct me, please, if I'm mistaken. As a board monitor, is it not your role to set the rules and then enforce them? Why not simply delete what you deem "bashing" without the schoolmarmish lecture of what or who looks smart or not? Obviously, by deleting the excessive Cooney-bashing threads and then posting about having deleted them you add to the commentary rather than simply letting it travel its natural course. My understanding of your moderator role is to delete posts that cross the line into personal attacks, not merely to close off what you think is unintelligent or consider repetitive, and then announce broadly that you've done so. That you know many, if not all, of the players and coaches and their families shouldn't afford you the path to defend them from suitable criticism apart from inappropriate personal attacks.

Am I mistaken?

As for young Cooney working his butt off, I assume every player on the roster would do the same. As Coach Wooden once sagely said, "Do not confuse activity for achievement." Just because Trevor works hard doesn't make him immune from appropriate criticism nor does it make him special. At this level, it's the price of admission for any player.
So now it's a negative that I know coaches and players? I'll tell you what: the next time a poster wants a coach to visit someone in the hospital... or wants a coach to donate an item to a charitable fund-raising event ... or wants a specially autographed shirt for his son... or wants "good" game tickets for his father's 75th birthday or his dying friend ... I'll just say: "You better not ask me, because I'm not supposed to know coaches or players." ;)

And, PS, I was not the admin/mod who locked the two previous threads cited in posts above.

Last edited:
eao, while I have much respect for you and think you are a valuable member of the board, you were throwing chum in the water there..

But it never got that far. It was a very civil discussion that got locked because apparently we should just be satisfied with one title and a slew of Nov/Dec titles and were bad fans for thinking otherwise.

So now it's a negative that I know coaches and players. I'll tell you what: the next time a poster wants a coach to visit someone in the hospital... or wants a coach to donate an item to a charitable fund-raising event ... or wants a specially autographed shirt for his son... or wants "good" game tickets for his father's 75th birthday or his dying friend ... well, you better not ask me, because I'm not supposed to know coaches or players.

Anyone who bashes or is critical of someone like CTO knowing coaches or players is nuts. This woman bleeds orange as much as anyone. Don't we all want to hear the information people like jake, her, and other people in the know have to offer us. People like her are one of the reasons I lurked on the board for years until I joined in 2011. If you don't like what she this board provides it might be time for you to go to syracuse.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who bashes or is critical of someone like CTO knowing coaches or players is nuts. This woman bleeds orange as much as anyone. Don't we all want to hear the information people like jake, her, and other people in the know have to offer us. People like her are one of the reasons I lurked on the board for years until I joined until 2011. If you don't like what she this board provides it might be time for you to go to syracuse.com.

No one was.