I don't get it... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I don't get it...

Don't quite know how that's relevant to this thread, but it made my smile because I love anything by Buddy Holly!
I just thought it was appropriate. And it's a great song. :)

Reactions: cto
Heck just ban them from the board. If they don't like the rules here, then go to syracuse.com forum board as that is such a joy and so well monitored.

eao, while I have much respect for you and think you are a valuable member of the board, you were throwing chum in the water there..

Thank you, I appreciate the compliment. But you could apply that hypothetical scenario to anyone. For example, Karl Malone… 2nd all-time scorer in NBA history, but how many career points would he trade for one title? I think it's just harmless and fun fan banter.

I think the point is that it's not just the bashing, it's the bringing up of the same points over and over again. When people post multiple times that Cooney's a bench player or we're in trouble if Cooney's a starter, etc. we get the point. Say it once and be done with it. We get it, you don't think Cooney's a great player, and shouldn't start. Okay understood.

And one thread that got deleted brought up that Cooney's stats in the last 8 or so games of the year and used that as a reason for Cooney being a bad player. Sure you used stats, but could there be any more skewed data.

The point is, with any topic, there's no need to keep saying the same things over and over again. There's plenty of ways to have an intelligent discussion. No need for people to constantly overreact in threads when there's disagreement.

Couldn't you just merge those threads though? Is that an option on this forum for the admins?

thats the Fn problem slappy, people dont KNOW THE RULES and they DONT KNOW HOW TO POST.

without a lecture, nobody would know.

i missed the entire thread, so without cto out here reminding everyone that if you have your head up your arse, you shouldnt be posting...i and others wouldnt have known and couldve started something else stupid. so its a good thing.

if it stops 1 moronic arsehole kid know-nothing from posting a stupid-arse bash thread because he cant control himself, then consider that a victory for the admins/mods.

as you were.
image.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, the moderators here have more than established their credibility running this board. If any individual wishes to know why a thread was locked or deleted, ask a mod. Don't like it? You don't have to like it. Either comply or leave. I have posted in threads that have vanished, accepted it and moved on. Like a parent to their children, simply assume that the mods know what is best for the board. Start your own "anything goes wild-west message board." Watch to become a festival of mud-slinging.

As far at Trevor is concerned, nobody wants him to succeed more than Trevor Cooney. I expect him to work harder than his peers this offseason and come back next year in beast mode. Kid is going to be excellent.

I was surprised that one got deleted - I didn't intend it to be insulting towards Boeheim in any way whatsoever. I was just asking what we would guess HE would do if given that hypothetical question.

i cant believe that got deleted

i cant believe that got deleted
Hey, guys, it was NOT deleted It was locked when another Mod decided it was time to lock it. It's there for anyone who wants to read it.

I don't get all the bashing either. The kid was run into the ground all season. Of course his shooting would hit the skids.

I hope he gets the chance to be more of a catch and shoot guy next year instead of constantly running off screens to get his looks.

Cooney cannot be our only shooter. Say what you will about him, but his lack of production seemed to start when team realized we had NO ONE else who could hit a shot outside the paint consistently. Any idiot can come up with a defense to frustrate and defend a single shooter. If he is our only shooter that teams have to defend he won't have much success next year. We seem to be the only D1 team that only has one guy who wants to shoot threes. Ennis made some, but rarely shot them. Gbinjie had a short stretch when he was making them. Fair shot like crap from outside most of the year. Cooney was forced to rush his shots because teams were defending him well and unfortunately, but no unexpectedly, ended up rushing all his shots even in the rare occasion he was open.

Cooney cannot be our only shooter. Say what you will about him, but his lack of production seemed to start when team realized we had NO ONE else who could hit a shot outside the paint consistently. Any idiot can come up with a defense to frustrate and defend a single shooter. If he is our only shooter that teams have to defend he won't have much success next year. We seem to be the only D1 team that only has one guy who wants to shoot threes. Ennis made some, but rarely shot them. Gbinjie had a short stretch when he was making them. Fair shot like crap from outside most of the year. Cooney was forced to rush his shots because teams were defending him well and unfortunately, but no unexpectedly, ended up rushing all his shots even in the rare occasion he was open.

True. Ennis' style of play did him no favors either - he was just too easy to guard. Ennis' inability to push the ball up the floor meant we were almost always going against a set defense.

There were very few occasions where Cooney was able to sprint out and because of mismatches had the chance to spot up before the defense settled in (i.e. a guard was late getting back to cover him, or someone was forced to play off a bit to cover two areas while other defenders were coming back).

That being said, kid was pretty awful down the stretch. Even the open jumpers weren't falling. He has to be less one-dimensional going forward. Hope he makes the adjustments!!!

I can understand bashing the paid adults - coaches, refs, admins, president, whoever

Bashing the kids is just wrong.. As if Trevor doesn't know he missed a shot.

Right or wrong it comes with the territory. He's a division 1 athlete in a major sport televised nationally.

The easy way to avoid being subject to this type of scrutiny is playing for Colgate instead.

SU2NASA said:
Right or wrong it comes with the territory. He's a division 1 athlete in a major sport televised nationally. The easy way to avoid being subject to this type of scrutiny is playing for Colgate instead.

Not this territory.

I do not know what post was deleted, but I did not contribute to the board today.

With all due respect, and I'm sure the admins had good reason, but I think threads like this damage the board in a similar fashion as whatever post it was that was deleted. "somebody" was bad about "something" and all the deputy admins are now thirsting for blood because of something they likely never read. It is certainly as negative. Each deputy admin will spout off with their own interpretations of the unwritten rules. Some of the key respondents are the same people whom hide after a loss, don't contribute, but 2 days later show up and crap on the people who do. It just creates more negativity, rather than a clear discussion about what is desired. IMO.

20 years ago slashdot.org had a great forum moderation concept. Contributors and lurkers could easily vote on posts. Popular posts showed up in an expanded mode and by default would be listed higher. Unpopular posts would be collapsed and would slowly sink down the list. I've suggested it before and still think it is a good model. To this day, I have not heard a consistent definition of "bashing". Bayside's is pretty good.

Here's another idea. Have a dunce corner. Suspend the offending poster and post by hanging them at high noon in the dunce corner. Only let them come out after a week or if voted out early by their peers. It'd be interesting to see what posts are deemed that offensive.

Last edited:
I do not know what post was deleted, but I did not contribute to the board today.

With all due respect, and I'm sure the admins had good reason, but I think threads like this damage the board in a similar fashion as whatever post it was that was deleted. "somebody" was bad about "something" and all the deputy admins are now thirsting for blood because of something they likely never read. It is certainly as negative. Each deputy admin will spout off with their own interpretations of the unwritten rules. Some of the key respondents are the same people whom hide after a loss, don't contribute, but 2 days later show up and crap on the people who do. It just creates more negativity, rather than a clear discussion about what is desired. IMO.

20 years ago slashdot.org had a great forum moderation concept. Contributors and lurkers could easily vote on posts. Popular posts showed up in an expanded mode and by default would be listed higher. Unpopular posts would be collapsed and would slowly sink down the list. I've suggested it before and still think it is a good model. To this day, I have not heard a consistent definition of "bashing". Bayside's is pretty good.

Here's another idea. Have a dunce corner. Suspend the offending poster and post by hanging them at high noon in the dunce corner. Only let them come out after a week or if voted out early by their peers. It'd be interesting to see what posts are deemed that offensive.
We do suspend people for varying amounts of time. We don't publicize suspensions to anyone except the suspendee. We also ban people when they choose not to learn from a suspension. Any other suggestions?

My favorite ice cream is cookie dough
We do suspend people for varying amounts of time. We don't publicize suspensions to anyone except the suspendee. We also ban people when they choose not to learn from a suspension. Any other suggestions?
hack their computers to take their money. It can be used to make the pay side free

Depends on what your goals are. If you want people to like each other then treat poster bashing the same way you treat Cooney bashing.

If you want to continue cleaning up a lot of garbage, then delete posts and don't provide examples.

If you want people to understand what is desirable then at least publicize examples of posts that led to deletions and bans. Strip it of the posters name if you want. Tag it with a rationale such as negative and repetitive, character assassination, etc. I understand the admins would not want to have to defend your decisions. So don't. You're not doing it anyways, so don't do it with a little more transparency. The "we know it when we see it" angle doesn't come off well. Most of us here are adults with college educations.

Add a "disagree" tag. View the agrees and disagrees in the OP without having to open a sub-thread. Give people easy options to make their vote without writing a thesis.

Personally, I want to wade through a bunch of JB / Cooney bashing about as much as I want to read through a bunch of "state of the board" and Igor bashing. The scary thing is that the amount of actual discussion after a game feels like it is shrinking. We're a week removed from our tourney loss and it feels like we've barely talked about it. We've shouted each other down about it, but there hasn't been a lot of idea sharing. Millhouse's stats threads generated a lot of discussion so they don't count.

I skim the board. So, I miss a lot of the garbage. In thread view it was easier to read more.

Seems like we are starting to bash each other here. Including bashing those with good intentions.

I like the idea of a "dislike" button as Swish just mentioned. If people get a lot of "dislikes", maybe they will get the idea that their post was not a good idea.

Quote the post or respond to it with a comment if you have something to "add" to it such as a new point or something else that substantiates or repudiates it but hasn't already been mentioned several times. Otherwise use the "like" or "dislike" button to support or show your opposition to a poster's point.

It is all right to respectfully disagree with a poster and to back it up with facts or even opinion stated in a nice manner. There has to be some discourse on here but keep it respectful and civil. That includes the players, the coaches, their families and each member of this forum. Even people in the public eye have feelings, and they deserve respect.

Try to read through the thread before posting to make sure your thoughts have not already been mentioned. If they have then you just "like" or dislike" that post.

I think this will make the threads more concise and more readable to all of us. When I see that there are already 5 pages of remarks it is hard to get through it. Of course some threads warrant 5 pages or even more. For example if Hopkins were to take another job I am sure that thread will be quite long. But I think the problem here is that there were 4 or 5 different threads about Cooney's shooting issues.

Oh and stay on the subject of the thread. Maybe we need an off topic "jokes" thread for all of the silly stuff that seems to go way off topic and hijack the thread. And silly meaning boobies, and things that may make some of us a little uncomfortable.

Just some thoughts to try to keep thing pleasant around here.

Some of the comments on here lately have been very upsetting.

And we need to thank the mods here because they put a lot of time into this place. And because of them we have this place. This is more their forum than ours. They developed it, and they run it, and they have a right to set a direction for it. We all came in here, and like anything else we can abide by the direction they have set for this forum or we can try another forum if this one is not for us. They are very flexible with the posters, but lines get crossed.

And most importantly...LET'S GO Orange!!!!

Time heals all. I have chosen not to participate or read anything as of late. It's my coping mechanism when we lose at this time of year. I'll slowly get back into it.

Re: Cooney. I think the community gets hyped when we hear statements from coaches about his incredible ability during the preseason. The bar gets set fairly high for the kid and anything less than 50% from 3 as the year goes on, we get upset.