I don't get it... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I don't get it...

So now it's a negative that I know coaches and players. I'll tell you what: the next time a poster wants a coach to visit someone in the hospital... or wants a coach to donate an item to a charitable fund-raising event ... or wants a specially autographed shirt for his son... or wants "good" game tickets for his father's 75th birthday or his dying friend ... I'll just say: "You better not ask me, because I'm not supposed to know coaches or players." ;)
I don't think he was saying anything along those lines at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who bashes or is critical of someone like CTO knowing coaches or players is nuts. This woman bleeds orange as much as anyone. Don't we all want to hear the information people like jake, her, and other people in the know have to offer us. People like her are one of the reasons I lurked on the board for years until I joined in 2011. If you don't like what she this board provides it might be time for you to go to syracuse.com.

I honestly think some posters have come from Syracuse.com. So many "juvenile" poster have shown themselves lately.

Correct me, please, if I'm mistaken. As a board monitor, is it not your role to set the rules and then enforce them?

Are you suggesting that churlish behavior is acceptable because moderators have the ability to delete it all? So it's okay to behave like a dork because a handful of volunteer moderators can police it? Are you serious? That's syracuse.com level of thinking.

What's wrong with expecting adult behavior from adults? All cto did is remind posters there's a certain standard to be observed and respected, and frankly, it should not have been necessary. We are not the s who turned syracuse.com into a raging looney bin - dumpster fire is another term I've seen succinctly applied :) - in fact, many of us came here just to get away from that crap. It's like I told the kids in my classroom, "If you want to be treated like an adult, act like one."

So now it's a negative that I know coaches and players? I'll tell you what: the next time a poster wants a coach to visit someone in the hospital... or wants a coach to donate an item to a charitable fund-raising event ... or wants a specially autographed shirt for his son... or wants "good" game tickets for his father's 75th birthday or his dying friend ... I'll just say: "You better not ask me, because I'm not supposed to know coaches or players." ;)

Where exactly did I say or even imply it was a "negative" that you knew coaches and players? You seriously got that out of what I said? Really? And, you followed it up with a "forget about getting my help from now on?" Really? Wow, now that's a doozie. What I said, and I said it pretty clearly, was by broadcasting your closing off Cooney-bashing you added to it. That's pretty obvious. And, I suggested that apart from personal attacks on the young man, simply closing off discussion because it was repetitive wasn't really a suitable reason. That's also pretty obvious. And, I suggested that your lofty position in SU basketball, with all due respect I might add, shouldn't extend to lecturing "compulsive" posters about trying to look smart or clever by being repetitive. That should be equally as obvious.

You've previously threatened to withdraw your largesse from the board. Tell me please how that adds to any discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you suggesting that churlish behavior is acceptable because moderators have the ability to delete it all? So it's okay to behave like a dork because a handful of volunteer moderators can police it? Are you serious? That's syracuse.com level of thinking.

What's wrong with expecting adult behavior from adults? All cto did is remind posters there's a certain standard to be observed and respected, and frankly, it should not have been necessary. We are not the s who turned syracuse.com into a raging looney bin - dumpster fire is another term I've seen succinctly applied :) - in fact, many of us came here just to get away from that crap. It's like I told the kids in my classroom, "If you want to be treated like an adult, act like one."

No I'm not saying churlish behavior should be acceptable. I'm saying the moderators have set the rules and should enforce them without the lectures. Everyone by now knows the rules.

What's wrong with expecting adult behavior from adults?
Here's the thing that concerns me - obviously we haven't seen some of the really terrible threads that have been deleted, but from the sound of things some of the threads that have been deleted contained adult behavior from all parties, and did not actually "bash" anybody. I've authored some of them, and some others with threads that have been locked or deleted have stepped forward, and those threads didn't at all contain the content that is being suggested, or would seem to merit deletion.

I have no doubt that a lot of things go way over the top and are inappropriate and the moderators do a really good job of keeping that type of riff raff off the board. But it does sound like there are some things that people might be somewhat over sensitive to, and some conversation is being eliminated because of that.

My understanding of bashing matches what Bayside mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm not sure why that's unreasonable.

jvbj01 said:
We need a pay side where the juvenile comments by juvenile posters are limited. I love this board, but it seems to be getting worse day by day. It is like middle school...
Agreed. Unless you lump me in as one of the juvenile posters, then I vehemently disagree! Please let me know my lump-status.

No I'm not saying churlish behavior should be acceptable. I'm saying the moderators have set the rules and should enforce them without the lectures. Everyone by now knows the rules.

Yeah, because they're paid such exorbitant salaries for the time they put in and for their services. :confused:

Where exactly did I say or even imply it was a "negative" that you knew coaches and players? You seriously got that out of what I said? Really? And, you followed it up with a "forget about getting my help from now on?" Really? Wow, now that's a doozie. What I said, and I said it pretty clearly, was by broadcasting your closing off Cooney-bashing you added to it. That's pretty obvious. And, I suggested that apart from personal attacks on the young man, simply closing off discussion because it was repetitive wasn't really a suitable reason. That's also pretty obvious. And, I suggested that your lofty position in SU basketball, with all due respect I might add, shouldn't extend to lecturing "compulsive" posters about trying to look smart or clever by being repetitive. That should be equally as obvious.

You've previously threatened to withdraw your largesse from the board. Tell me please how that adds to any discussion.
I didn't "threaten" to do anything. And there is no "largesse" ("generosity in bestowing money upon others") to withdraw from the board. I simply expressed my frustration at the rampant negativity that has engulfed this place which, in the immediate instance, had been personified by un-ending repetitive bashings of a particular player. The fact that so many people "liked" my original post suggests that I may have struck a nerve here.

Last edited:
thats the Fn problem slappy, people dont KNOW THE RULES and they DONT KNOW HOW TO POST.

without a lecture, nobody would know.

i missed the entire thread, so without cto out here reminding everyone that if you have your head up your arse, you shouldnt be posting...i and others wouldnt have known and couldve started something else stupid. so its a good thing.

if it stops 1 moronic arsehole kid know-nothing from posting a stupid-arse bash thread because he cant control himself, then consider that a victory for the admins/mods.

as you were.

I didn't "threaten" to do anything. And there is no "largesse" ("generosity in bestowing money upon others") to withdraw from the board. I simply expressed my frustration at the rampant negativity that has engulfed this place which, in the immediate instance, had been personified by un-ending repetitive bashings on a particular player. The fact that so many people "liked" my original post suggests that I may have struck a nerve here.

I legit want to thank you for defining "largess" I stared at it for a good 30 seconds, and had no clue what it meant. I was going to google it, but then got distracted.

I'm going to see if I cant squeeze that into a conversation today somehow. I'll keep ya posted.

What does "bash" exactly mean?
bash-brothers.jpg

thats the Fn problem slappy, people dont KNOW THE RULES and they DONT KNOW HOW TO POST.

i missed the entire thread, so without cto out here reminding everyone that if you have your head up your arse, you shouldnt be posting...i and others wouldnt have known and couldve started something else stupid. so its a good thing.

if it stops 1 moronic arsehole kid know-nothing from posting a stupid-arse bash thread because he cant control himself, then consider that a victory for the admins/mods.

as you were.

;)

I didn't "threaten" to do anything. And there is no "largesse" ("generosity in bestowing money upon others") to withdraw from the board. I simply expressed my frustration at the rampant negativity that has engulfed this place which, in the immediate instance, had been personified by un-ending repetitive bashings on a particular player. The fact that so many people "liked" my original post suggests that I may have struck a nerve here.

I've been a highly visible business and technology journalist for 35 years and have written for most every major publication in the IT industry. If anything, I know how to use words, I do so every day. I'm glad you got out your dictionary to check the definition and use of "largesse." I already knew what the word meant when I used it. As you've said, we will have to agree to disagree. No problem there.

as you were.

Who you calling Slappy? You talkin' to me? LOL. Seriously, people don't know how to post without regular lectures and reminders? Ok, if you say so.

Cooney cant hit non of them there three pointers and it makes me wanna hulk smash my kids! raaarwwwww. grrrrrrrr.

idk. I'm bored to death at work.

OT but reminded me of this. We have foam squares/blocks that I build into cubes for my 2 year old. He promptly breaks them over his head and says Hulk Smash! but says N instead of M so it's "Hulk Snash!". It's fantastic

You can call it whatever you like, but when you have a discussion about someone's struggles over and over again, it becomes rather pointless. Considerate people that actually have feelings would know that talking about a person that someone else may care about could be hurtful. A lot of the posters on this board actually care about the players on the team due to their love for the university that they've probably been rooting for since they were a kid. Seeing people comment on the same topic over, and over, and over again can get really tiresome and actually pretty sad.

These kids that play for the team that we all say we care about get picked apart by a lot of the posters here. A lot of whom I would argue seem to have an agenda towards certain players. In my opinion, the relationship that is developed by some people with the players on the team (although not actually on a personal level), makes it really hard for them to allow someone to talk about someone they care about. Although it can be considered constructive criticism or whatever you want to call it, I can't stand to see someone repeatedly talked bad about. These kids are 17-22 years old for the most part and some random angry person sitting on their computer is consistently stating the obvious.

And, for those of you who say that Cooney playing at a large D1 school asked for this couldn't be further from the truth. Maybe in your preconceived notion of what society tells you it might be okay, but that doesn't make it right.