I don't understand the bashing of JB and Wildhack | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I don't understand the bashing of JB and Wildhack

Hmmm does the period of decline match when we moved to the ACC and started playing conference opponents that required travel to NC, GA and FL rather than more regional opponents in PA, NJ, NY etc.
We had trips to Depaul and Marquette and South Florida and Miami, etc. when we were in the Big East.

We had trips to Depaul and Marquette and South Florida and Miami, etc. when we were in the Big East.
Switch PC with BC. Check
We still play games at MSG over half the years we have been in the ACC. St. John’s check
We still play at Georgetown every other year. Check
We have played Villanova 3 times and just switched Nova for UVA. Check
We still play Pittsburgh and Louisville, Notre Dame check.

Essentialy we only lost games with Seton Hall , UConn and Rutgers.

We traded DePaul, Marquette, Cincinnati, South Florida, West Virginia for games with Florida State, Miami, Wake, NC State, Clemson, Ga. Tech, Virginia Tech

We switched UConn for Duke and North Carolina.

It’s amazing how when people try blaming the ACC they forget our home games are still in Syracuse and half the games.

We essentially lost NJ and CT for NC, VA, GA, FL.

Such garbage to claim its conference.

Travel is travel. Doesn't matter if I'm flying 4 hours or 1.5 hours.

And it's not like they're changing time zones constantly, which is the only reason travel could disrupt something.

yeah right. i also heard he was leaving when the boys left. that's clearly not the case either.

It still might be ...

It seems as though the fanbase is clustering into a couple of different groups with respect to this topic:
  • Those dissatisfied with the 8 year decline, and desire change to break the subpar trend of status quo
  • Those who are okay letting JB continue in perpetuity for as long as he'd like, because he's "earned" it -- even if the results don't measure up
  • Those who don't see anything wrong with program performance, and consider this year to be a one-off
  • Those who think that JB is going to hand pick his successor

I think the last 3 bullets are pretty much the same group of fans, and the first bullet are the rest. The last 3 bullets are all just degrees of acquiescence in the mediocrity that those 3 groups have all come to accept.

Like everyone on this board I am really disappointed in this season. But I really have a tough time understanding how this board has become nothing but a place to complain about JB and JW.

Since JW has been there SU has turned a tired looking facility into one of the best college stadium's in the country. The new Lally center is going to be a big boost to recruiting. The AD has a bit more to do than just hire and fire coaches.

The bashing of JB over the past two seasons is ridiculous, the entire country has been impacted by the Covid pandemic the past two years, why wouldn't we expect it to impact the the quality of play of everyone of our sports teams? This is not a bad team, it took them a while to figure out how to play together, but they fought every minute of every game this season and is capable of beating every team in the ACC except for Duke. IF JB is such a bad coach how did Jesse become such a force from his freshman season to his sophomore season? If we didn't loose him to the injury I believe we would have 3-4 more wins this year. Joe may not be the player that many thought he would, he was recruited by Duke and many other top programs, he decided on SU, he makes some mistakes but damn he plays hard and makes a lot of 3 pointers and I believe he will kick ass next year.

What really bothers me are people saying JB should retire because of his age, I listen to him speak and I don't see that he has lost any of his mental faculties, he appears to be in very good physical condition and he loves to coach. Why should he retire? We have one of our best recruiting classes in years coming in, Jesse should be coming back, next year will be another great year of SU basketball and I love that SU has one of the greatest of all time as its leader.
Thank you for saying what many of us think.

if you watched the coach k tribute from espn,jay told an amazing lie;1 that he knows is a lie,name the only coach with a winning record for 44yrs straight.know winning isnt the only thing but it helps,those whom have faith that leaving a much weaker big east in football and basketball doesnt influences wins and recruiting are either lying to themselves or delusional,

I don't understand the bashing of JB and Wildhack​

OIP.axH9YbeR_Bj3KhHAkC5OgQHaEw.jpeg

why did the band stop ? i love that song !

Hmmm does the period of decline match when we moved to the ACC and started playing conference opponents that required travel to NC, GA and FL rather than more regional opponents in PA, NJ, NY etc.
I'm pretty sure a jet to Raleigh NC is less demanding than a bus ride to South Orange (Seton Hall) NJ.

The template to get back is there for the next HC. They need to recruit four key areas:

Canada, NYC, Philly, DMV. Each of the assistants should be able to pull in recruits from those area. The HC should be able to get the local upstate NY kids if they come along.

JB has a job and, like any job, is obligated to perform to the best of his abilities. He turned that job into a very successful career and has justifiably been recognized as one of the premier performers in his field. But - and this is where we are now - when you fail or are unable to give everything to insure continued success in that job, as they say here in the South, it's time to "go to the house".

Like everyone on this board I am really disappointed in this season. But I really have a tough time understanding how this board has become nothing but a place to complain about JB and JW.

Since JW has been there SU has turned a tired looking facility into one of the best college stadium's in the country. The new Lally center is going to be a big boost to recruiting. The AD has a bit more to do than just hire and fire coaches.

The bashing of JB over the past two seasons is ridiculous, the entire country has been impacted by the Covid pandemic the past two years, why wouldn't we expect it to impact the the quality of play of everyone of our sports teams? This is not a bad team, it took them a while to figure out how to play together, but they fought every minute of every game this season and is capable of beating every team in the ACC except for Duke. IF JB is such a bad coach how did Jesse become such a force from his freshman season to his sophomore season? If we didn't loose him to the injury I believe we would have 3-4 more wins this year. Joe may not be the player that many thought he would, he was recruited by Duke and many other top programs, he decided on SU, he makes some mistakes but damn he plays hard and makes a lot of 3 pointers and I believe he will kick ass next year.

What really bothers me are people saying JB should retire because of his age, I listen to him speak and I don't see that he has lost any of his mental faculties, he appears to be in very good physical condition and he loves to coach. Why should he retire? We have one of our best recruiting classes in years coming in, Jesse should be coming back, next year will be another great year of SU basketball and I love that SU has one of the greatest of all time as its leader.
Agree with everything except next years recruiting class. Even if we play 3 guards we need a better than average ACC caliber foward. Symir is not a scorer and neither is Benny. When Frank comes in we are down to two scorers even assuming we get Judah, which is not a done deal. The recruits are having mostly unimpressive senior seasons.
Majority opinion is that the right coach can turn it around. I hope so but I am braced for the possibility that our salad days are over. Our problems are situational rather than managerial.
We will hire from within and if that does not work out we will go outside and if that does not help we could become a revolving door for coaches. One of our strengths has been stability. I would hate to lose it.

This is a results driven profession.

Over the last 8 seasons, JB's win percentage [overall] is 59%, and hovering closer to 50% in ACC conference play.

Prior to that, his winning percentage was 74%.

That's a tangible decline in performance over an extended period of time -- not a one-year blip. THAT's why a growing segment of the fanbase is expressing concern.

Bottom line is that if he posted a 59% win percentage from day one as a coach, there is no way he would have made it to year 46. The people who contend that regular season winning percentage doesn't matter because of the F4 and two Sw16s in that stretch also never acknowledge the total nothing-burger NCAA tourney failure of the other 5 years.

Kudos to JB for having that tourney success given the bubble status of each of those years; it is literally unprecedented in the history of the tourney and a true testament to his ability as a HOF coach. That said, the last time I ran the numbers (I think 3 years ago), 52% of all Final Four teams since 1985 were either 1 or 2 seeds so there is a direct statistical correlation between being a dominant regular season team and turning it into post-season success.

it's very possible that this year SYRACUSE could be looking at no BOWL GAME and no NCAA tournaments for men's basketball or lacrosse ? and you wonder about the WILDHACK hecklers ? jeezus throw us a bone john .the fans are starving.

Last edited:

I'm sure you make some good points but I stopped reading at "...the entire country has been impacted by the Covid..." Just stop. Or, maybe read what you are typing. If something affects everyone it isn't an excuse or reason for anyone.

it's very possible that this year SYRACUSE could be looking at no BOWL GAME and no NCAA tournaments for men's basketball or lacrosse ? and you wonder about the WILDHACK hecklers ? jeezus throw us a bone john .the fans are starving.
Yeah, Wildhack needs to make sure we revamp the football and lacrosse coaching staffs pronto.

Wait, I am being told that was already done.

Yeah, Wildhack needs to make sure we revamp the football and lacrosse coaching staffs pronto.

Wait, I am being told that was already done.
left out one barren tree. and i'll applaud when i finally get some fruit in my hand.

The template to get back is there for the next HC. They need to recruit four key areas:

Canada, NYC, Philly, DMV. Each of the assistants should be able to pull in recruits from those area. The HC should be able to get the local upstate NY kids if they come along.
Wish we could get a Detroit/Michigan presence again. Coleman and Bing are absolute legends. Devendorf was a stud and is very visible still. Guys like Burgan and Walton(yeah, I know). Would be nice to pull a star recruit out that area every once in awhile.

Switch PC with BC. Check
We still play games at MSG over half the years we have been in the ACC. St. John’s check
We still play at Georgetown every other year. Check
We have played Villanova 3 times and just switched Nova for UVA. Check
We still play Pittsburgh and Louisville, Notre Dame check.

Essentialy we only lost games with Seton Hall , UConn and Rutgers.

We traded DePaul, Marquette, Cincinnati, South Florida, West Virginia for games with Florida State, Miami, Wake, NC State, Clemson, Ga. Tech, Virginia Tech

We switched UConn for Duke and North Carolina.

It’s amazing how when people try blaming the ACC they forget our home games are still in Syracuse and half the games.

We essentially lost NJ and CT for NC, VA, GA, FL.

Such garbage to claim its conference.
Nothing do with switching conference’s . Programs under FBI Investigation have not skipped a beat. We sit here begging for an NIT invitation. No more excuses, win or leave . The CEO giving interviews about the tournament we are not good enough to play in? He should be out recruiting

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom