I guess im watching Duke vs Mich St | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I guess im watching Duke vs Mich St

Izzo is 2-22 against Duke/UNC/Syracuse at Michigan State.

I didn’t realize he beat them once. MSU is overrated this year. Not that impressed with their talent. Duke will be tested more in the ACC.

Yeh. Should have been an automatic disqualification and possible suspension. The ball was on the other end of the court.
You can't be serious. Their feet got tangled & he flailed his arm backward without even looking because he thought he was being tripped from behind. I thought it should've been a Flagrant 1 but your take is absurd.

Michigan State is never a strong team in the beginning of the season. They always seem to put it together during the tournament.

Do they still play like 8 really good teams before Christmas and lose to like 6 of them, while basketball meatheads applaud them for losing to so many good teams so early in the season?

I honestly don’t know because they bore me and I don’t pay as much attention to them anymore. And I wanted to take another shot at basketball meatheads.

I didn’t realize he beat them once. MSU is overrated this year. Not that impressed with their talent. Duke will be tested more in the ACC.
Only Michigan State win over Duke was the 2005 Sweet 16 game when Michigan State made the Final Four and lost to UNC.
Izzo is owned by K and Roy.

Was a good game. Anytime State got ahead, duke made a play or refs called a questionable foul in duke's favor, imo. If State touched a duke player, even with just a fingernail, it was a foul.

The Allen flop on a 3pt attempt was entertaining.

Gotta feel bad for Tucker(okay, not really), he didn't get a minute. Kid should transfer after the season, with the top 2 SF's recruits in the nation coming in next year.

It really amazing how unlikable Duke is. I turned the game on hoping they would win because we play them and it would help the conference. After like 5 minutes I’m annoyed and actively rooting against them. My wife was like I thought we wanted Duke to win why are you rooting for MSU. I just told her I don’t know why, they are just such punks I can’t do it.

Was a good game. Anytime State got ahead, duke made a play or refs called a questionable foul in duke's favor, imo. If State touched a duke player, even with just a fingernail, it was a foul.

The Allen flop on a 3pt attempt was entertaining.

Gotta feel bad for Tucker(okay, not really), he didn't get a minute. Kid should transfer after the season, with the top 2 SF's recruits in the nation coming in next year.
Maybe Tucker and Quade will transfer to SU after this season. Bazely and Carey need back ups.

It really amazing how unlikable Duke is. I turned the game on hoping they would win because we play them and it would help the conference. After like 5 minutes I’m annoyed and actively rooting against them. My wife was like I thought we wanted Duke to win why are you rooting for MSU. I just told her I don’t know why, they are just such punks I can’t do it.

That’s one of the nice things about being in a brutally tough league - the strength of the conference always takes care of itself. I never root for anyone else in our league. I don’t really root against most of them either though because in hoops I pretty much hate everybody else.

You can't be serious. Their feet got tangled & he flailed his arm backward without even looking because he thought he was being tripped from behind. I thought it should've been a Flagrant 1 but your take is absurd.
I agree. Looked like he tried to swipe backward with his hand, it was incidental that the elbow is what made contact. Flagrant, but not intentional.

Watching Cal at half of the second game. Going on and on about how impressed he is with his team being a bunch of freshman.

Ok, I get it, but that's kind of your thing so... don't need to hear you talk about this every year.

Well, I am serious. No hot take here. I remember this happening to us and our player got the flagrant. I remember that the excuse used was that the refs are not allowed to interpret the situation or intent. The fact that the player swung his arm at another player and connected with the other player's head is all that matters. I think my take is pretty on base. Was there a rule change this season that I am not aware of?

Well, I am serious. No hot take here. I remember this happening to us and our player got the flagrant. I remember that the excuse used was that the refs are not allowed to interpret the situation or intent. The fact that the player swung his arm at another player and connected with the other player's head is all that matters. I think my take is pretty on base. Was there a rule change this season that I am not aware of?

Yep. Kristof was ejected in 2009 for elbowing a Georgetown player at the dome.

Last edited:
Do they still play like 8 really good teams before Christmas and lose to like 6 of them, while basketball meatheads applaud them for losing to so many good teams so early in the season?

I honestly don’t know because they bore me and I don’t pay as much attention to them anymore. And I wanted to take another shot at basketball meatheads.

Boring, how? Compared to what we do on offense? They always improve which is impressive and I think those early tests will help them. They have a good league too to test them. They were sort of meh last year but then ended up just slaughtering Miami in that 8/9 game last year. Two years ago it was that MTSU game of their lives with the upset in what was a pretty dominant team all season. They’re good.

If Boeheim had the same record against coach K as Izzo does this board would say he has zero clue how to beat good coaches, but since board favorite Izzo has this record our fans will make excuses and say it’s because he schedules “tough”.

I agree that the Duke player should've been called for a Flagrant 1. He blindly swung his arm backward while running up the court & made relatively minimal contact with the MSU player's head. The elbow grazed his head, it was hardly violent or excessive. I just think that an ejection would've been quite egregious & a suspension would be laughably absurd. I suspect a dislike for Duke may be clouding your judgement. You tell me, what better describes the incident?

A flagrant 1 foul involves excessive or severe contact during a live ball, including especially when a player, :...swings an elbow and makes illegal, non-excessive contact with an opponent above the shoulders..."

A flagrant 2 foul involves unsportsmanlike conduct that is extreme in nature, or excessive or severe contact during a dead ball, including, "...when a player swings an elbow excessively and makes contact above the shoulders..."

Yep. Kristof was ejected in 2009 for elbowing a Georgetown player at the dome.
The Kristof elbow occurred 2 years before the NCAA adopted the Flagrant 1 & Flagrant 2 policy. It used to just be an intentional foul or a Flagrant (ejection). By the current rules, Kristof would've likely received a Flagrant 1 (2 shots & ball, no ejection)

I agree that the Duke player should've been called for a Flagrant 1. He blindly swung his arm backward while running up the court & made relatively minimal contact with the MSU player's head. The elbow grazed his head, it was hardly violent or excessive. I just think that an ejection would've been quite egregious & a suspension would be laughably absurd. I suspect a dislike for Duke may be clouding your judgement. You tell me, what better describes the incident?

A flagrant 1 foul involves excessive or severe contact during a live ball, including especially when a player, :...swings an elbow and makes illegal, non-excessive contact with an opponent above the shoulders..."

A flagrant 2 foul involves unsportsmanlike conduct that is extreme in nature, or excessive or severe contact during a dead ball, including, "...when a player swings an elbow excessively and makes contact above the shoulders..."

The Kristof elbow occurred 2 years before the NCAA adopted the Flagrant 1 & Flagrant 2 policy. It used to just be an intentional foul or a Flagrant (ejection). By the current rules, Kristof would've likely received a Flagrant 1 (2 shots & ball, no ejection)

If the player was on MSU instead of Duke would they have been ejected?

If Boeheim had the same record against coach K as Izzo does this board would say he has zero clue how to beat good coaches, but since board favorite Izzo has this record our fans will make excuses and say it’s because he schedules “tough”.
Sparty's non-conference schedule is tougher than ours every year & I'd take his tournament record over Boeheim's in a heartbeat. Izzo is a very good coach, his teams almost always improve & maximize their potential over the course of the season & his players over the course of their careers.

If the player was on MSU instead of Duke would they have been ejected?
Um, no...it would've been called exactly the same, though a Duke player likely would've theatrically withered in pain a bit more. Again, I think he deserved a Flagrant 1 but the call for an ejection...& then a suspension...is purely irrational Duke dislike & a lack of understanding the rules.

Last edited:
Um, no...it would've been called exactly the same, thought a Duke player likely would've theatrically withered in pain a bit more. Again, I think he deserved a Flagrant 1 but the call for an ejection...& then a suspension...is purely irrational Duke dislike & a lack of understanding the rules.

Yeah that’s why Bilas was even shocked at the outcome. He has zero understanding of the rules right?

BTW since Izzo went to 4 final fours in his first 7 years he’s lost in the first round 5 times. I didn’t say he isn’t a good coach, but he’s living off a lot of success he had early in his career and I think this board overrated him a bit. I purposely made that post because I knew it would tick people off and you just proved my point. Thank you.

Watching Cal at half of the second game. Going on and on about how impressed he is with his team being a bunch of freshman.

Ok, I get it, but that's kind of your thing so... don't need to hear you talk about this every year.
He's really got it made. If they struggle throughout the season, especially pre-conf., it's "well they're all freshmen, there will be growing pains". If he's successful, it's "amazing that he can get Freshmen to gel & buy in so quickly". At least those are the ESPN analyst narratives.

Last edited:
Yeah that’s why Bilas was even shocked at the outcome. He has zero understanding of the rules right?
Bilas was surprised that it wasn't a Flagrant 1, as I've stated it should've been 3x in this thread. Not a single announcer even mentioned a Flagrant 2/ejection that you're calling for, let alone the suspension that the original poster I quoted thought was warranted.

BTW since Izzo went to 4 final fours in his first 7 years he’s lost in the first round 5 times. I didn’t say he isn’t a good coach, but he’s living off a lot of success he had early in his career and I think this board overrated him a bit. I purposely made that post because I knew it would tick people off and you just proved my point. Thank you.
He went to 3 FFs & won a title in his 1st 7 years (random, arbitrary time period btw). He's also been to 4 FFs & a title game since then, the most recent being 2015 so your bolded assertion is false. You didn't "tick me off" at all, I enjoy some good CBB banter/debate with my morning oatmeal...though you seem pretty ticked that the Duke player wasn't ejected ;)