I hate Craft... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I hate Craft...

craft gets away with throwing his shoulder into the defender on every drive too

And MCW clears with his off hand nearly every time as well. Again, if the refs allow it, can't blame the player for using it.

If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin.

craft gets away with throwing his shoulder into the defender on every drive too

Nah, that's just good defense!

Funny thing is, Craft has this dickheaded smirk on his face when he's actually called for a foul, like he's in disbelief or something.

Is there any team out there that plays good defense that we here don't think gets away with fouls ? I have heard it now about Butler, Pitt, Georgetown, Louisville, Ohio State and probably others that I can't even remember. Just wondering if there is a team that we feel plays strong D that isn't viewed as "getting away with it" ?

Louisville != the others

dont compare actual athletes with the shove/push crew

Surprised he didn't fall to the floor rolling around in pain after that "bump."

Is there any team out there that plays good defense that we here don't think gets away with fouls ? I have heard it now about Butler, Pitt, Georgetown, Louisville, Ohio State and probably others that I can't even remember. Just wondering if there is a team that we feel plays strong D that isn't viewed as "getting away with it" ?

If fouls were called in accordance with the rule book, I don't think that Butler, Pitt (in the regular season, at least), Louisville and Ohio State would have enjoyed the same type of success that they've had recently.

This is a great question--I was just wondering this while watching the games yesterday. I came to the conclusion that it is difficult to truly answer the question because of the way the game is currently being officiated.

The refs are allowing players to play defense--both on the ball and off of it--with their hands rather than their feet. This promotes the "fouling" style of physical defense--clutching (especially with two hands on an offensive player) and chunking--that has become the defensive norm.

Additionally, the refs call far too many charges in today's game. Most of the charges called are not textbook charges--the defensive players are allowed to slide into position after the offensive player commits to his move. Go back and watch games from 15-20 years ago--defenders were not regularly rewarded for sliding into position late.

Ultimately, it is less about the coaches and players utilizing "cheating" defenses and more about the refs allowing the physicality to restrict offensive movement. When a team like Louisville is allowed to use this to its advantage (for example, Pitino coaching his players to foul every time knowing that the referees will choose not to call every foul), it further exposes the lack of proper officiating the game is currently experiencing.

However, for the purposes of full disclosure, if I was coaching DI basketball right now, I would be teaching an aggressive, physical defensive strategy, instructing my players to foul every time (a la Pitino) in order to disrupt the opponent--if the refs are going to allow a team to get away with it 60%-plus of the time, it's foolish not to take advantage of that. Put the onus on the officials to enforce the rules correctly.

Louisville != the others

dont compare actual athletes with the shove/push crew

Come on now. Louisville fouls every time as well.

Its the exact same thing as what I call the Bruce Bowen effect. If you are known as a hard-nosed defender, somehow the constant grabs of jerseys and arms become hustle play instead of actual fouls. Guys on the other team had to change jerseys yesterday because of Louisville tearing them. Especially Russ Smith.

This is a great question--I was just wondering this while watching the games yesterday. I came to the conclusion that it is difficult to truly answer the question because of the way the game is currently being officiated.

The refs are allowing players to play defense--both on the ball and off of it--with their hands rather than their feet. This promotes the "fouling" style of physical defense--clutching (especially with two hands on an offensive player) and chunking--that has become the defensive norm.

Additionally, the refs call far too many charges in today's game. Most of the charges called are not textbook charges--the defensive players are allowed to slide into position after the offensive player commits to his move. Go back and watch games from 15-20 years ago--defenders were not regularly rewarded for sliding into position late.

Ultimately, it is less about the coaches and players utilizing "cheating" defenses and more about the refs allowing the physicality to restrict offensive movement. When a team like Louisville is allowed to use this to its advantage (for example, Pitino coaching his players to foul every time knowing that the referees will choose not to call every foul), it further exposes the lack of proper officiating the game is currently experiencing.

However, for the purposes of full disclosure, if I was coaching DI basketball right now, I would be teaching an aggressive, physical defensive strategy, instructing my players to foul every time (a la Pitino) in order to disrupt the opponent--if the refs are going to allow a team to get away with it 60%-plus of the time, it's foolish not to take advantage of that. Put the onus on the officials to enforce the rules correctly.

Very nice post !

Always love your perspective Coach. Do you run any summer camps? I'd love to have my kid learn from you.

Always love your perspective Coach. Do you run any summer camps? I'd love to have my kid learn from you.

Thanks. I don't run any summer camps, though I did volunteer for a camp a few years back. It was a wonderful experience. I'd be glad to put a camp together if there was enough interest. I love working with kids to help them improve their fundamental skills. It's the teacher in me. :)

Not gonna lie, you have become one of my favorite posters in regards to actual basketball content.

welcome to homerville.

Nice FT shooting by the scrappy, gritty and gutty Craft.

FT to tie for ISU!!!

I read these forums and am lead to the assumption that most here have never played a competitive sport in their life (or if they did were never very good at it), or are just enormous hypocrits.

I dont disagree with the general sentiment that the clutching and grabbing is "illegal" and is really hurting the college game. I dont disagree that some teams benefit by overtly playing this style. But the reality is, it is up the the official's to make the calls. If they are unwilling to do so, a team puts themselves at a disadvantage by not employing the aggressive style.

Dont be pissed at Craft. Kid plays his ass off. The refs allow his shenanigans. It is incumbent on his opponents to find a way to deal with it. The coach should be working the officials every possession. They should run high ball screens with bigs to soften him up. They should actively bump him (aka throw a forearm into his chest/neck) every time he makes a pass and cuts to the whole. If you are unwilling to play that way, you are at a disadvantage.

Of course, this all comes back to Louisville and the BE championship. Instead of pissing and moaning about the lack of calls (i agree there were a lack of calls), ask yourself how our 6'6" lottery pick point guard, and our 6'4" built like a free safety four year-starter combo guard, got so bullied by two guys that are barely 6'0" tall and 170 lbs soaking wet?

Craft haters delirious right now. This game is on him at this point

It's too bad ISU dug themselves such a deep hole. They've expended a lot of energy clawing all the way back. I hope they have enough left in the tank to finish the job.

I read these forums and am lead to the assumption that most here have never played a competitive sport in their life (or if they did were never very good at it), or are just enormous hypocrits.

Sup, mike jordan.

Stopped reading after this first paragraph ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom