I hate to say it | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I hate to say it

Worst case is that we are just an NIT level team. The program has bounced back from that before, and rather quickly at times.

Beaker.gif

btw - Saint John's is not a "mid-major."

What are they then?

Heck, Kentucky had a stinker under Calapari a couple of years ago when they lost in the first round of the NIT.

Best player got injured but they still ended up with 20+ wins. We're looking at 2 sub 20 win seasons in a row.

But this program is in a dark place and basically turning into a joke.

Losing today's game to an awful mid-major is just another step towards irrellavance. I've never been so down on the program but today is getting there.

I'm not seeing how this team can turn it around this year or over the next few. Defense and the interior on both ends continues to be downright bad. And can Hop coach? 4 games into his tenure and he's not looking too hot. St. John's just abused the D, a team that scored 48 against Niagara earlier this week. Without kids that can play it or are willing to play it well, the 2-3 is more hindrance than help. The team just doesn't look capable of defending well or rebounding out of it.

The Bahamas games were an aberration, something that appears pretty apparent at this point. Last year was bad, but the r st of this season looks to be getting worse than that.

What exactly can be done? Where is the hope?

Get ahold of yourself, man! Good god this post absolutely reeks of teenage girl snubbed for the prom drama. I'm embarrassed for you as I read it.

IthacaMatt said:
Then you add in Matthew Moyer, who is 6-8, versatile, talented and has a killer attitude.

Moyer starts.

The Bahamas games were an aberration.

When you see the wins as an aberration, then the losses define the team.

This team will disappoint and surprise and sometimes, thrill. It's certainly not the time to write them off.

Might as well say it here... JB is trending towards Bowden and dean smith sunset territory... minus all the titles of course.

I'm past panicking and in full on acceptance. Very sad.

Dean Smith??? He made the final four in 2 of his last 3 seasons. His final W came at the Carrier Dome in the '97 Regional Finals against Louisville.

Yeah, maybe it was a bit overdramatic, but right now, we're going to end up with another under 20 win team in all likelihood. We are still without 2 schollies per year. I don't see any offensive threat on the interior next year. Chukwu will be a great addition to the D, but I doubt he scores more than 6-8 ppg. From where the program was leading up to the past couple of years to where it's at now, it's pretty bleak.

Next year's team is probably going to be nasty, and I'm betting my board life right now that they finish the season in the Top 25.

We heard that about this team and how loaded it was supposed to be. Until we find quality PG play (hopefully it's Battle) and an interior scoring threat, while improving rebounding and the D, which is a ton of things that need to improve, how can we expect to be where we want this program to be? Hopefully, a lineup w/Chukwu at the 5, Lydon at the 4, Roberson at the 3, and Mal and Battle at Guard will provide more than enough size to improve the defense and rebounding.

We didn't have an offensive threat on the interior in 2012 either, when we went 34-3.

We had some "dark days" from 2006-08 too, and followed it up with a great 2009-14 stretch. You get a flop of a class(the Wrights) and one that's just decent instead of great(Nichols, Roberts, Watkins, McCroskey), and it can happen. Recently it's been Johnson/Patterson/Roberson where two guys are gone and the 3rd is decent but not as good as we thought he'd be yet. Throw in guys leaving early(Ennis, McCollough) that we thought would still be here, Coleman's injuries and lack of development. We have a lot of talent in the program. If Chukwu, Moyer, and Battle are as advertised we should be loaded next year.

Last edited:
Heck, Kentucky had a stinker under Calapari a couple of years ago when they lost in the first round of the NIT.
Roy's had a couple NIT years too. The only teams that are at a pretty high level every single year are Kansas and Duke

Moyer starts.

Your going to sit a senior Roberson? He'll never have any confidence that way. Even if he's a token starter, if you put Moyer and Roberson out there, you are going to miss the spacing that Lydon will offer as a three point threat.

Your going to sit a senior Roberson? He'll never have any confidence that way. Even if he's a token starter, if you put Moyer and Roberson out there, you are going to miss the spacing that Lydon will offer as a three point threat.

But I don't see Lydon / Roberson being an effective tandem at forward.

Roy's had a couple NIT years too. The only teams that are at a pretty high level every single year are Kansas and Duke
And even they've experienced round of 64 flameouts that almost certainly sent their respective fan bases into epic meltdowns.

IthacaMatt said:

Never said who'd he'd start for or why because I don't know. But he'll start.

But I don't see Lydon / Roberson being an effective tandem at forward.

Why not? Lydon rebounds and blocks shots well. He certainly can shoot the three, and he has more athleticism than most people suspected. Or is your concern Roberson?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom