i have a bad feeling about this toledo request | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

i have a bad feeling about this toledo request

Toledo should . You cant change the out come of the game. SU plays differently defensively with a two point lead. for one we blitz like hell once they get in FG range

Here is the progression of the SU lost argument.

SU wins after a poorly called game for both teams.

Advocates who want SU to lose including some SU fans... "But they should not have counted the extra point :blah: :blah:"

Everyone else ... "Here we go again - calls went both ways all game ..." :bang: :bang:

Response by advocates who want SU to lose including some SU fans... "But they should not have counted the extra point :blah: :blah:"

Everyone else ... "OMFG - just already, we don't care" :bang: :bang:

Seriously, take your argument to the old scout board and have fun with the trolls from all the other schools who've taken over.

As in since both mac and be officials agree they will make an unprecedented change

You have to be !$%!#%$ kidding me...

There is no precedent--NONE--about removing wins based upon a botched call, at any level.

:bang:

and Major League Baseball did not give the Detroit pitcher his perfect game last year, even though the ump who made the call admitted that he was wrong

Why is he unprofessional?

44cuse
Why? I would expect an AD at a college at the D1 level would have the minimal brain capacity to realize that there isn't a single athletics game in the history of mankind that has been decided by one call by the referees or umpires. A game is decided by the combination of both what the teams do and don't do along with the decisions that the refs made.

There's no guarantee that up 29-27, SU's defense doesn't play differently and stop Toledo. And even besides that, Toledo had the ball inside the 10 and had every opportunity to score a touchdown and didn't. The botched call on the XP had nothing to do with that. The fact that he completely ignores that and chooses to make a now public fiasco out of this missed call amounts to sour grapes on his part, at best.

Game is in the final column...any change in status would be totally ground breaking and open up all the other missed calls that led to a game winner or change in the outcome. Start with this game and go back over a season...over a year...over all sports and you would be unable to think that you have won anything...I know, as a criminal lawyer and agent...let's sue the refs and replay analyst...they made a mistake...ohhh sh.t...how silly is this getting...and more specifically, f..k the BE

What win against Tenn are you referring too? Please don't tell me you are talking about the PI call. It was Pass Interference. 100%. And I don't care that the official closest too it did not call it.

It was called and it was PI.

44cuse

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I will hate you for 24 hours after this post. Lol

Why? I would expect an AD at a college at the D1 level would have the minimal brain capacity to realize that there isn't a single athletics game in the history of mankind that has been decided by one call by the referees or umpires. A game is decided by the combination of both what the teams do and don't do along with the decisions that the refs made.

There's no guarantee that up 29-27, SU's defense doesn't play differently and stop Toledo. And even besides that, Toledo had the ball inside the 10 and had every opportunity to score a touchdown and didn't. The botched call on the XP had nothing to do with that. The fact that he completely ignores that and chooses to make a now public fiasco out of this missed call amounts to sour grapes on his part, at best.
I don't think it's a big deal. To suggest that they would have won the game is asinine. So that piece of it I agree with. But to protest the game or to speak out against the call...they should do that. It was clearly the wrong call.

44cuse

As in since both mac and be officials agree they will make an unprecedented change

There was a time when this shoe was on the other foot. On a high profile national stage the 1961 SU/ND game ended with a very bitter aftermath.it was the major news on the sports pages for at least several days. The emotions were so high on both sides as memory serves me SU vowed not to ever play ND again in any sport...for infinity. That held true for many years until they finally met in BB..

Thhis article doesn't address this point but when the game films were avaiable, as I recall, there wasn't any roughing. That was the primary reason SU took issue with the loss. ND was very vocal in not forfeiting the game due to a bad call.

This game was a very big deal at the time. This is the first link I have posted here so I hope it works. It s a worthy read.

http://articles.southbendtribune.co...angemen-edmund-p-joyce-irish-football-program

I don't think it's a big deal. To suggest that they would have won the game is asinine. So that piece of it I agree with. But to protest the game or to speak out against the call...they should do that. It was clearly the wrong call.

44cuse
Don't get me wrong, he has every right to complain about a bad call an inquire about officiating. Demanding that the game be vacated or demanding Toledo be granted a victory is the unprofessional part. It's not ever going to happen so it's downright silly and reactive if you ask me.

Don't get me wrong, he has every right to complain about a bad call an inquire about officiating. Demanding that the game be vacated or demanding Toledo be granted a victory is the unprofessional part. It's not ever going to happen so it's downright silly and reactive if you ask me.
Granted the victory is totally ridiculous. Actually...no it's stupid. If that were the SU AD, I would be embarrassed. There is no way to know if they would have won or not. Bitching about the call...I would expect our AD to do that.

44cuse

If Toledo's AD didn't submit this request, toledo fans would be all over him. Regardless, it is not going to be reversed.

If Toledo's AD didn't submit this request, toledo fans would be all over him. Regardless, it is not going to be reversed.

Agree. The AD had to do this, but I think the pressure is probably coming from Toledo HC than the fan base. This is a good team but rough early schedule could mean that they've checked out come conference play. More than anything, this is a psychological ploy to work against that possibility. The quotes in the article said as much.

Reverse once missed call and then you will have a ton of requests every week to change the outcome of games based on missed calls

You have to be !$%!#%$ kidding me...

There is no precedent--NONE--about removing wins based upon a botched call, at any level.

:bang:

George Brett Pine Tar incident. Google it. But, even in that case, they resumed the game from that point at a later date. If they want to overturn the PAT, they should then bring both teams back and start with SU kicking off. I wouldn't be happy if they do this, but I don't know that I could complain about it either.

I don't see how awarding Toledo a win would be a fair outcome.

George Brett Pine Tar incident. Google it. But, even in that case, they resumed the game from that point at a later date. If they want to overturn the PAT, they should then bring both teams back and start with SU kicking off. I wouldn't be happy if they do this, but I don't know that I could complain about it either.

I don't see how awarding Toledo a win would be a fair outcome.
It's different though. You change crowd, emotion, fatigue, everything that are HUGE factors in football. Doubtful if they replayed it you'd get 25-30k back for the last couple minutes. That's a big factor and can't be replicated. You also can't replicate how tired certain people were or how pumped up certain players were at that point. I think those factors are much greater in football than other sports. If they were to set up something like that where they replay from that point on, it would set a VERY dangerous precident. Everytime someone had a bad call late, they'd point to Syracuse/Toledo and say "we need to replay it from that point on." It could get out of hand really fast. I think they have to leave it as is.

Reverse once missed call and then you will have a ton of requests every week to change the outcome of games based on missed calls
Not to mention, if they reverse that call, they are saying that was the only call that effected the score. Which simply is not the case. The non-PI call on Lemon in the endzone effected the score as well. If you start reversing calls, don't you have to go back and reverse EVERY bad call in the entire game and see what happens? It's a dangerous precident to set, and I seriously doubt it will be done.

It's different though. You change crowd, emotion, fatigue, everything that are HUGE factors in football. Doubtful if they replayed it you'd get 25-30k back for the last couple minutes. That's a big factor and can't be replicated. You also can't replicate how tired certain people were or how pumped up certain players were at that point. I think those factors are much greater in football than other sports. If they were to set up something like that where they replay from that point on, it would set a VERY dangerous precident. Everytime someone had a bad call late, they'd point to Syracuse/Toledo and say "we need to replay it from that point on." It could get out of hand really fast. I think they have to leave it as is.

I agree. I was only saying that if they do anything other than uphold the ruling, that this is the only way they could do it with the realization that you can't replicate the situation other than concrete things.

But, for the record, emotion, fatigue and intangibles can play large roles in baseball as well. It's just different than in football. If you've played a lot of baseball, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, it's hard to understand or to explain.

The thing is that it wasn't SU who made a mistake, it was the officials. There is no way in hell they can overturn this, thereby penalizing us for something the refs botched. It's not Syracuse's fault that the ref screwed up, so why punish Syracuse?

As the Toledo coach said, they shouldn't have given up the touchdown in the first place, so it should be moot. Additionally, they could have gone down the field and scored a touchdown, but they didn't.

It was a crappy call, but there is absolutely no way they can make us vacate the win for something that was 100% out of our hands.

and Major League Baseball did not give the Detroit pitcher his perfect game last year, even though the ump who made the call admitted that he was wrong

Yeah, um... that was a live call on the field.

Saturday's incompetence included a botched video review. Are the people who make this comparison even really sports fans?

Stay classy, Syracuse.

mac fan, are suggesting that the game result should be reversed?

No. It most definitely should not be. Too may what-ifs that can't be determined if the extra point had missed (SU plays different defense, SU uses timeouts and gets the ball back, etc).

Nope. Just tired of reading the apple and orange comparison with Jim Joyce's bad live call from MLB last year.
In this case, I happen to know the Toledo AD, so I know why he made the request. Rock and a hard place.

As a fan, I would have been ok with the first bad call, as long as a video replay wasn't also called bad. There's nothing that can be done, but I think that it's a hollow, non-victory for Syracuse. Having watched the game, I honestly think that Toledo had a greater than 50% chance of winning if it had not gone to OT. But hey... I watched the OSU game too, so bad calls in close non-conference play are fresh in mind.

If UT really wanted a bunch of free wins, they wouldn't start the season with top non-conference teams. I mean, Boise State and Kellen Moore?
So, the crowd shows their blind allegiance and abject ignorance. It is to those folks that I direct my "stay classy."

I will always understand bad live calls. I will never understand having them backed up by bad video review.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom