i have a bad feeling about this toledo request | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

i have a bad feeling about this toledo request

Nope. Just tired of reading the apple and orange comparison with Jim Joyce's bad live call from MLB last year.
In this case, I happen to know the Toledo AD, so I know why he made the request. Rock and a hard place.

As a fan, I would have been ok with the first bad call, as long as a video replay wasn't also called bad. There's nothing that can be done, but I think that it's a hollow, non-victory for Syracuse. Having watched the game, I honestly think that Toledo had a greater than 50% chance of winning if it had not gone to OT. But hey... I watched the OSU game too, so bad calls in close non-conference play are fresh in mind.

If UT really wanted a bunch of free wins, they wouldn't start the season with top non-conference teams. I mean, Boise State and Kellen Moore?
So, the crowd shows their blind allegiance and abject ignorance. It is to those folks that I direct my "stay classy."

I will always understand bad live calls. I will never understand having them backed up by bad video review.

They had a greater of 100% chance of winning if they scored a TD on the final drive but couldn't punch it in from the one...

Well, I don't understand it. If I were an A.D., I wouldn't do it. In my opinion, that is not staying classy.

Nope. Just tired of reading the apple and orange comparison with Jim Joyce's bad live call from MLB last year.
In this case, I happen to know the Toledo AD, so I know why he made the request. Rock and a hard place.

As a fan, I would have been ok with the first bad call, as long as a video replay wasn't also called bad. There's nothing that can be done, but I think that it's a hollow, non-victory for Syracuse. Having watched the game, I honestly think that Toledo had a greater than 50% chance of winning if it had not gone to OT. But hey... I watched the OSU game too, so bad calls in close non-conference play are fresh in mind.

If UT really wanted a bunch of free wins, they wouldn't start the season with top non-conference teams. I mean, Boise State and Kellen Moore?
So, the crowd shows their blind allegiance and abject ignorance. It is to those folks that I direct my "stay classy."

I will always understand bad live calls. I will never understand having them backed up by bad video review.

Here's what you do, go ask your coach if he would have made every play call the exactly the same if he needed a FG to win instead of a TD to win and a FG to tie. I know one person that asked an SU staff member and they said they would have been more aggressive on defense. So that alone says that the outcome of your drive may not have been the same. We'll never know. You got screwed out of 1 point so that makes it 29-27, but there is no way of ever knowing if you would have in fact gone down field and kicked the winning FG.

Like I said, I don't think that the game should be vacated.

I do think that there are some really stupid comments on here, like "banning UT" over the AD's comments, telling people to , etc.

It's fun following a team that will virtually play anyone, anywhere, regardless of rank and conference. No sour grapes.

But the official who watched the video and confirmed the live call should find a new gig.

I do think that there are some really stupid comments on here, like "banning UT" over the AD's comments, telling people to , etc.

It's fun following a team that will virtually play anyone, anywhere, regardless of rank and conference. No sour grapes.

But the official who watched the video and confirmed the live call should find a new gig.

Just so you know, which is still the officials fault upstairs, the reason they botched the replay is because they only watched the replay from the side angle and not the one that keeps getting replayed from behind the kicker. The side angle one does appear that the kick went through. Why they only watched that one angle I have no idea.

Just so you know, which is still the officials fault upstairs, the reason they botched the replay is because they only watched the replay from the side angle and not the one that keeps getting replayed from behind the kicker. The side angle one does appear that the kick went through. Why they only watched that one angle I have no idea.

I'd like to see that side angle shot. It too should have shown the ball outside of the upright.

I'd like to see that side angle shot. It too should have shown the ball outside of the upright.

If you taped the game you can watch it there and slow it down, replay it over and over, etc. But it seems nobody is showing that shot. Would like to know why the officials didn't use the other angle also which we have all seen a thousand times.

Yeah, um... that was a live call on the field.

Saturday's incompetence included a botched video review. Are the people who make this comparison even really sports fans?

Stay classy, Syracuse.
Classy programs understand that bad calls are part of the game. Intelligent people understand you can't arbitrarily pick one call out of 1000 made during a game, identify it as bad and demand to have an outcome decided on the field to be reversed.

There was a bunch of bad calls on Saturday. Some favored Syracuse. Most did not. I could argue that the blown PI call on Lemon cost Syracuse lead directly to costing Syracuse 7 points, for instance. But I won't.

Respect the game. Respect the rules. Respect that officials are human and make mistakes. Understand that good teams overcome bad calls and find a way to win. Toledo had a great opportunity to win that game and was unable to do it. They could have overcome a bad call but whether you can man enough to admit it or not, they didn't. That is the difference between Syracuse and Toledo. SU overcome a bunch of awful calls in that game to get a well deserved win. Toledo did not.

Good luck in the rest of the season. I have no respect for the Toledo AD, who is a laughingstock for what he has done, or for the Toledo fanbase, who did not come to a game only games away from campus.

But I have great respect for the Toledo players, who played very hard, as they have all season. I wish them the best for the rest of the year.

If you taped the game you can watch it there and slow it down, replay it over and over, etc. But it seems nobody is showing that shot. Would like to know why the officials didn't use the other angle also which we have all seen a thousand times.

That is curious.

I have to say that I've never seen an official blow a call like this. Did he get dizzy looking upward? Either the ball goes to the right of where you're standing or the left.

I'm sorry, but UT has made this a national story because of their absurd request. While I can sympathize with the tough loss and wish the officials had gotten it right, I don't believe that conduct should be condoned and/or rewarded. This is embarrassing to everyone, most of all, a fine Toledo football program that should be focusing on their next game.

No rule would allow it and it would be a huge can of worms for the reasons stated here. I don't think the last 2:07 would have gone any differently but that's beside the point. The USC-Utah ruling may have broken the precedent used in the past that you can't change the score after a game has ended, (which was the ruling in the 1961 SU-Notre Dame game), but I can't believe that the NCAA or the conference, (even if they don't like us anymore) would establish a precedent that the final score of a game can be changed based on an officiating mistake that wasn't the on the last play.

If Toledo's AD didn't submit this request, toledo fans would be all over him. Regardless, it is not going to be reversed.

I would be embarrassed if Gross reacted this way. But I know he wouldn't because he understands the bigger picture here. This whole scenario just makes Toledo and their AD look petty, and if that's what they want then so be it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom