I have a few questions... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I have a few questions...

You can say that about a million coaches though. Again, I do like Marrone so I am not arguing against him, I just dont get this argument that is used all the time.

Maybe G-Rob just needed a few more years. He was God-awful for his tenure but oo maybe just maybe he leads us to a National Championship this year if still here. (sarcasm) For every coach like Beamer that you pimp these stats, theres probably 50 like G-Rob who actually just flat out...sucked.

It was obvious there was no progress under G-Rob. Anyone that says the same thing about Marrone doesn't watch the games or doesn't know anything about football. Some people on here seem to think that since we one a bowl game last year we should automatically be an 8-4 team this year and a 10 win team next year and it doesn't necessarily work that way. Some people seem to think that since we've had one winning season we should be nabbing stud recruits that have huge impacts as freshman. I'd suggest that those guys are rare and even established programs don't always get them. We may have some studs now but we won't know that for another year or two. I stated something similar in a post prior to the one you quoted.

Year 3 people, skill guys can make an immediate impact, he is running Bailey right into the ground as well, if we had a qb who could move it would mask a ton of issues on o line.. In addition, one thing about the teams that run an NFL system, their o lines are good, damn good, even a ucf type team

I think that some people have lost perspective on how abysmally bad we were three years ago, and how big of a reclamation project [in every sense of the world--personnel, facilities, culture of losing, etc.] the Syracuse University football program was.

There's been an upward trend every year. Year one was frustrating, but the players bought into the program and played much more competitively. We also saw an inept defense under GRob transform into an athletic, hard hitting one with most of the same personnel.

Year two, we get to 7 regular season wins, actually win some road games, get to a bowl, and defeat a team that this season was undefeated [until last night] and ranked in the top 10.

This year, 5-3.

I'm not going to make excuses for Marrone. I think recruiting needs to improve. And I think that the offense seems inept more often than they seem productive. But I feel like last year's bowl appearance was fool's gold in a sense--not because we didn't deserve to be there [we did], but because it made a large portion of the fanbase prematurely think that we were back, and that we'd take another colossal leap forward.

The discussion above about how long it will take is interesting to me. We're about at the point where we FINALLY will be working with a full roster again. Next season [barring the unforeseen], we'll be returning 9 starters on defense / 7 on offense. The recruiting class we've lined up for 2012 looks very solid, and getting back to another bowl game [no matter how minor] will help lay the foundation for the class of 2013 this offseason. I'd expect us to eke out the win or two needed to qualify for bowl participation, and that next season projects to be even better.

It was obvious there was no progress under G-Rob. Anyone that says the same thing about Marrone doesn't watch the games or doesn't know anything about football. Some people on here seem to think that since we one a bowl game last year we should automatically be an 8-4 team this year and a 10 win team next year and it doesn't necessarily work that way. Some people seem to think that since we've had one winning season we should be nabbing stud recruits that have huge impacts as freshman. I'd suggest that those guys are rare and even established programs don't always get them. We may have some studs now but we won't know that for another year or two. I stated something similar in a post prior to the one you quoted.

And I do agree, I just dont think Marrone's resume (while pretty decent so far) is above scrutiny. Especially when you have a team like Louisville in a similar situation and yet they seem to have players that can do things we can't. Hell, they lost 4/5 of their o-line last year and started a freshman QB and still took us to the woodshed.

And I do agree, I just dont think Marrone's resume (while pretty decent so far) is above scrutiny. Especially when you have a team like Louisville in a similar situation and yet they seem to have players that can do things we can't. Hell, they lost 4/5 of their o-line last year and started a freshman QB and still took us to the woodshed.
Fair enough.

Yes, obvious progress under Marrone -- we still have a shot at 7 wins and a bowl.
But look at the contrast with Louisville. Their record this year will be about the same as SU. But Strong brought in and started several frosh -- at skill positions. Some of our posters say we are "young" (as an excuse), but Louisville's starting team was younger. Louisville fans can have some confidence that their young skills guys (struggling this year) will carry the team in the next 2 or 3 years. SU fans have to worry that Marrone's recruits at skill positions haven't had much impact in 3 seasons.

It could work out over time. Broyld is the real deal; we might have a legit RB in Smallwood or the RB on the commit list. If Sales returns, we are solid at WR (but without a true #1 WR). We aren't declining; we just need our Joe Morris, Chris Gedney and Marvin Harrison.

At some point, you should get over your dislike for Marrone. If you can't do that, maybe you should stick to watching pro football until the Orange are good enough to meet your expectations again. Talk about a bandwagon fan. You do realize how bad we sucked for so many years, don't you? You do realize we made a bowl game last year, and likely will do so again this year, right ?

Yes, obvious progress under Marrone -- we still have a shot at 7 wins and a bowl.
But look at the contrast with Louisville. Their record this year will be about the same as SU. But Strong brought in and started several frosh -- at skill positions. Some of our posters say we are "young" (as an excuse), but Louisville's starting team was younger. Louisville fans can have some confidence that their young skills guys (struggling this year) will carry the team in the next 2 or 3 years. SU fans have to worry that Marrone's recruits at skill positions haven't had much impact in 3 seasons.

It could work out over time. Broyld is the real deal; we might have a legit RB in Smallwood or the RB on the commit list. If Sales returns, we are solid at WR (but without a true #1 WR). We aren't declining; we just need our Joe Morris, Chris Gedney and Marvin Harrison.

Charlie Strong brought in a great class last year. We knew it was rated way higher than ours. A couple things we need to keep in perspective is that their success as a program has been far more recent than ours, they have better facilities at this point, and their location makes it easier to grab southern more ready made recruits. All of that leads to more immediate recruiting impact.

Let me start by stating that I really like Marrone as a head coach so before the jergens crew gets to heated up, I just have a few questions because we are in year 3 here and year 3 seems to be when most offensive coaches feel their systems can really start to take off.. ( leach, Rodriguez, etc)

1. At what point does one ask the question if Marrone and Hackett know how to be productive on offense in the college game.. Is it soon? If so please provide me with a time frame so I know that I am not overeacting or being a dink about it

NEITHER MARRONE OR HACKETT HAS ANY TRACK RECORD OF RUNNING A SUCCESSFUL COLLEGE OFFENSE.

GIVEN THE NUMBER OF GAMES THAT THIS OFFENSIVE SYSTEM HAS BEEN COMPLETELY STONED, YOU ARE RIGHT TO QUESTION WHETHER THESE GUYS CAN GET IT DONE OFFENSIVELY. WATCHING THIS TEAM GO BACK TO THE BIG 2-TE SINGLE BACK SETS WAS VERY DISAPPOINTING. I AM WAITING UNTIL YEAR 5 TO MAKE A JUDGMENT ON THEM BECAUSE WE DO NOT HAVE EXPLOSIVE PLAYMAKERS AND NASSIB MISSES SO MANY BIG PLAY OPPORTUNITIES.

AT SOME POINT THOUGH, YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO MOVE THE BALL AGAINST GOOD DEFENSES, AND NOT JUST WEST VIRGINIA AND KANSAS STATE. PART OF IT IS TALENT - BUT WEST VIRGINIA WAS ABLE TO PUT UP 450 YARDS AGAINST AN OVERWHELMINGLY TALENTED LSU DEFENSE AND SYRACUSE STRUGGLED TO MOVE THE BALL AGAINST RHODE ISLAND THIS YEAR.

2. The playmaker and recruiting issue?how long do we have to wait until this shows up as a failure on Marrone's part to recruit one. Are we saying the reason we haven't is because that The deck is so stacked against Marrone at Syracuse that he couldn't possibly have recruited a couple of difference makers at this point in year 3? I want to know so again I am not perceived as an , I am not looking for Reggie bush here, this is the big east

BOTH AMEEN-MOORE AND KOBENA WILL BE PLAYMAKERS FOR THIS TEAM. IT IS DISSPOINTING THAT NONE OF THE RECEIVERS HAVE MADE MUCH OF AN IMPACT BECAUSE THE STARTERS ARE NOT VERY GOOD. WATCHING THE RUTGERS-WEST VIRGINIA GAME - I AM NOT SURE ANY OF OUR RECEIVERS EVEN SEE THE FIELD FOR EITHER OF THOSE TEAMS

3. Offensive line.. If Adkins and Marrone are offensive line coaches how is that we still can't handle pressure after we were exposed over a year ago, is this a talent or scheme thing, when is this Marrone's issue and not a talent one.. Year 4

THE OFFENSIVE LINE HAS BEEN PRETTY GOOD FOR THE MOST PART. THE LINE DID NOT GIVE UP A SINGLE NEGATIVE PLAY AGAINST WEST VIRGINIA. IMO - LOUISVILLE HAS AN EXCELLENT DEFENSIVE LINE THAT IS JUST COMING INTO ITS OWN.

AS FOR RUNNING PLAYS - YOU CAN'T EXPECT A TEAM TO GO HAT-ON-HAT WHEN DEFENSES ARE PLAYING 8 OR 9 IN THE BOX. IT IS A NUMBERS PROBLEM AT THAT POINT AND NOT A SCHEME OR TALENT PROBLEM. IF YOU CAN'T MAKE BIG PLAYS AGAINST THOSE FRONTS YOU ARE NOT GOING TO RUN THE BALL.

4. Nassib... Why can't he connect with a deep ball? He is like 0-15 this year even the dynamic duo of Tim lane and perry Patterson hooked up for a couple. His body of work at best is an average college qb and that is fine but we can and need to do better

FIRST, YOU BETTER HOPE PATTERSON'S GRANDMOTHER DOES NOT SNIFF THIS POST OUT.

SECOND, NASSIB JUST DOESN'T THROW THE DEEP BALL WELL. HE IS GOOD ON THE INTERMEDIATE PASSES AND SHORT PASSES BUT HE JUST DOESN'T HAVE GOOD TOUCH ON THE DEEP PASSES. PATTERSON ACTUALLY THREW A BETTER DEEP BALL BUT WAS AWFUL ON THE SHORT RANGE AND INTERMEDIATE PASSES.

5. I hope we start working in anew qb with some zone read type stuff next year for a few series

HARD TO BELIEVE THAT KINDER DID NOT GET A SERIES IN THE LAST TWO MINUTES OF THE GAME WHEN WE WERE DOWN 3 SCORES

Like I said, I just have seen these posted for 3 years and its as if people are still speaking as if Marrone just showed up... It's like rich rod, he was an offensive guy and sure his system struggled the first year, improved year two and by year 3 he was scoring points a lot of them at michigan, his defense, his scheme, and his horrible d coordinator cost him his jong.. My point is this, if Marrone was really a good oc or offensive coach for a teaching and scheme point we would be much further along on offense at this point, at least average, it's not just one playmaker. Marrone is a good head coach but he has been really really bad as an oc so far but I guess it may still be too early in year 3 to declare that.

Charlie Strong brought in a great class last year. We knew it was rated way higher than ours. A couple things we need to keep in perspective is that their success as a program has been far more recent than ours, they have better facilities at this point, and their location makes it easier to grab southern more ready made recruits. All of that leads to more immediate recruiting impact.

great bunch of excuses-looserville hasnt had success in quite a while-thats why they have a new coach-
facilities arent that much better if better at all
they have no history as a program

what they do have is a coach who can recruit the sock's off marrone-

At some point, you should get over your dislike for Marrone. If you can't do that, maybe you should stick to watching pro football until the Orange are good enough to meet your expectations again. Talk about a bandwagon fan. You do realize how bad we sucked for so many years, don't you? You do realize we made a bowl game last year, and likely will do so again this year, right ?

My dislike for Doug? I started my post by saying I like Doug but his offense is still really bad and that his recruiting hasn't made a difference to help the offense in year 3 and that is a concern.. Marrone would tell you the same thing. I like Marrone and he has done a good job getting us back to respectable but can we get to the next level. Not with this offense and not the way he is recruiting

I dont understand why people are getting so mad. Most everyone is saying they like Marrone and have confidence in him. Many are just pointing out obvious kinks in his armor at the moment. Our recruiting while maybe underrated, hasnt been that great. Our offense is seriously bi-polar. Our offense has barely looked D-1 worthy for most of the year, no im not exagerrating, its been that bad. We have no playmakers. Our QB cant throw a pass over 15 yards. Its not like these are minor issues.

• 12 penalties - focus issues, typical of a young team and yet our more experienced players are often the culprits.
  • experienced QB who still holds the ball too long and lacks accuracy on long throws with no promising back-up to go to when Nassib is having a bad day; like yesterday.
  • Good RB's but none who are game changers.
  • We couldn't match the emotional energy of a team whose injured teammate makes an appearance on game day.
  • DB's who are still letting WR's get behind them; along with missed assignments.
  • being outplayed by an OL that was struggling in previous games and made our more experienced OL look lost, at times.
  • our inability to apply D pressure on their 1st year QB who looked like the more seasoned player of the 2 QB's.
  • We were out-schemed by their staff.
I like Doug Marrone and his overall philosophy for running our program; these things above must be addressed and fixed for this program to move forward.

great bunch of excuses-looserville hasnt had success in quite a while-thats why they have a new coach-

Really? As recently as 2006 they had a 12 win season, 9 in 2005, and 11 in 2004, 9 in 2003. That is more recent success. They never dropped to the depths that we did as they didn't have any 10 loss seasons in that period. They've had only two losing seasons since 2003 (that's as far as I went back). How many did we have? Their number of loses during those seasons were 8 and 7. The national perception of their team is not nearly as bad as our. I know because I live in the south. That makes it harder to recruit.

Let me start by stating that I really like Marrone as a head coach so before the jergens crew gets to heated up, I just have a few questions because we are in year 3 here and year 3 seems to be when most offensive coaches feel their systems can really start to take off.. ( leach, Rodriguez, etc)
YEAR #3- WHAT OTHER COACH STARTED

YEAR #3- WHAT OTHER COACH STARTED IN DECEMBER AND BROUGHT IN A STRONG FULL CLASS BY LETTER OF INTENT DAY?

1. At what point does one ask the question if Marrone and Hackett know how to be productive on offense in the college game.. Is it soon? If so please provide me with a time frame so I know that I am not overeacting or being a dink about it IF YOU THINK WE ARE NOT BETTER THAN LETS REALIZE WE ARE GETTING TOP 25 VOTES, AND A SEAT IN A STABLE BCS CONFERENCE.

2. The playmaker and recruiting issue?how long do we have to wait until this shows up as a failure on Marrone's part to recruit one. Are we saying the reason we haven't is because that The deck is so stacked against Marrone at Syracuse that he couldn't possibly have recruited a couple of difference makers at this point in year 3? I want to know so again I am not perceived as an , I am not looking for Reggie bush here, this is the big east WE WERE SO BAD WHEN HE STARTED, WHY DON'T YOU START A NEW 3 YEAR TIME TABLE... SAY MAYBE FEBUARY 5, 2011! EVALUATE THIS RECRUITING CLASS AS HIS FIRST CLASS.

3. Offensive line.. If Adkins and Marrone are offensive line coaches how is that we still can't handle pressure after we were exposed over a year ago, is this a talent or scheme thing, when is this Marrone's issue and not a talent one.. Year 4 SAME AS ABOVE, CUPBOARD WAS BARE, HE WAS HONEST WITH PLAYER, WHEN HE CAME, AND MANY LEFT, EVERY ONE WANTS TO REDSHIRT PLAYERS AND WE ARE REDSHIRTING LONEMEN NOW. (HICKEY'S INJURY HURT THIS YEAR).

4. Nassib... Why can't he connect with a deep ball? He is like 0-15 this year even the dynamic duo of Tim lane and perry Patterson hooked up for a couple. His body of work at best is an average college qb and that is fine but we can and need to do better MAYBE NEXT YEAR SOME OF THE YOUNG RECEIVERS AND NEW PLAYER ARE ABLE TO CREATE BETTER SEPARATION .

5. I hope we start working in anew qb with some zone read type stuff next year for a few series

Like I said, I just have seen these posted for 3 years and its as if people are still speaking as if Marrone just showed up... It's like rich rod, he was an offensive guy and sure his system struggled the first year, improved year two and by year 3 he was scoring points a lot of them at michigan, his defense, his scheme, and his horrible d coordinator cost him his jong.. My point is this, if Marrone was really a good oc or offensive coach for a teaching and scheme point we would be much further along on offense at this point, at least average, it's not just one playmaker. Marrone is a good head coach but he has been really really bad as an oc so far but I guess it may still be too early in year 3 to declare that.​

I am still a Marrone fan and not ready to lose hope on him but there are many improvements he can make as a coach. I'm not talking recruiting but game day coaching. As a young coach you can give him a pass on somethings if he learns from those mistakes and improves them. Some problems I would like to see addressed.

The last 2 games there were opportunities to get Loeb some snaps. In garbage time last week our coaching staff decided it was a better move to give Bailey a shot at completing a pass instead of Loeb. What? This could really come back to bite this team if Nassib goes down and we don't have a QB ready to go in for him. It's also not fair to Loeb who EARNED the opportunity to be a second string QB just to never get a chance to call a play. What keeps him ready and pushing hard? Yesterday, Nassib probably could have learned alot from sitting on the sideline and watching the offense play a series without him. Maybe he could get a better idea of what they were doing. Maybe it would have given him the kick in the ass he needed.

I also hate game clock management, he has to learn to use his time outs better. Also, when there's 9 minutes left and your down by 3 scores the team has to play with some sense of urgency. Players walking/jogging back to the line on every play. I don't care how good or bad a recruit you were you can hustle your ass off and get ready to play the next play. Kiffin exposed our defense by not being ready multiple times. We had the opportunity to expose Louisville's defense many times yesterday, but the offense wasn't ready to run a play. Part hustle, part slow getting the play in. Part confusion on everybody.

I also think the play calling is very predictable and conservative. Yes, he tried to take some shots down field a couple times on first and second down. When do you ever see that on 3rd down? It's the best down for a QB like Nassib to throw down field on. Just throw it up there and let the receiver make a play, if it gets picked it's as good as a punt. The defense plays to protect the first down marker on 3rd down because it knows SU doesn't throw long in those situations.

I know it's easy to bash Marrone after a game like this and don't mean to but I just hope he can improve some of these things and learn from his mistakes. If he doesn't he's just another hard headed coach who will keep getting the same results. We had that with P.

Really? As recently as 2006 they had a 12 win season, 9 in 2005, and 11 in 2004, 9 in 2003. That is more recent success. They never dropped to the depths that we did as they didn't have any 10 loss seasons in that period. They've had only two losing seasons since 2003 (that's as far as I went back). How many did we have? Their number of loses during those seasons were 8 and 7. The national perception of their team is not nearly as bad as our. I know because I live in the south. That makes it harder to recruit.

5 years ago is a long time when it involves kids-like i said they havent been good in a while-they also have no brand name like su-even when we are bad su is still a known item-just how did our 8-5 record help us out recruit them last year?

plain and simple looserville has a better recruiter than we do-heck we all though the great guru couldnt recruit,yet his players are the only ones who contribute-what do we do when they are all gone?

No, what they have is a more southern school and a head coach with strong [pun intended] southern ties.

I don't agree with your assessment at all--frankly, this class of 2012 our coaching staff has put together looks solid as hell. And if we close strongly, I expect it to be a top 35-ish class.

people act like UL went up and down the field.. they had 350 yds.. the first drive was a blown coverage on a bootleg that if the safety does his job its a sack and likely a punt from the endzone and we start at midfield for what would have been the only time of the game. The throw was terrible but completed.. they had 95 on that drive and 60 on the late run. 200 the rest of the game and avg 2.5 a carry on the other 30 carries and the Qb had 100 yds passing after that drive.. hardly showed a lack of effort by the D. even the long run never happens if the blatant holds was called or thomas plays the angle better as he read the play well.

the offense is what it is, people blame play calling, yet Nassib missed at least 3 td passes that had tons of room to be at worst big plays. its been the story all year, good calls that not only took pts off the board but never change the D from being able to attack us cause we never make them pay. we are probably looking at 10+ td passes that at worst should have been 5 or more. one more per game and 50+ yards.

the running game sucks most of the time, but without a play maker at rcvr you need to run enough to give you the chance to throw, and you cant argue it has given us the shots for plays that Nassib has just not handle well.

just like Baileys long run yesterday, a better back waits for harris to make a real block not a cut block and then probably scores on that play. if bailey was the 2nd back we would be much better, I think in reality smith and moore are both going to be better backs, add in Gulley to be the change up next year and we will be improved, but will probably no home run hitter.

from what i have heard we probably have 3-4 better linemen off the field this year because of injuries and RS. It would not shock me at all if we replace at least 3 guys next year. Pugh is the only one who is playing solid.

the rcvrs are catching the ball, for a couple years we couldn't even do that.

Going into the year and looking at history, DM beats the teams we have more talent then, goes 50/50 against teams we are about even with and has stolen a couple games from teams that have more talent.

so far this year

we beat RI/Tulane/Toledo who we should have.
We beat wake and lost to rutgers/UL in our 50/50 games
we lost to USC and beat WV against teams who have more talent.

by averages we should be 4-4 or 5-3 which is right where we should be, the rutgers loss is killer but we could have screwed up one of the should haves too and stole the WV game its awash..

we have uconn in the 50/50 games
we have USF/Cinci in probably more talent games
and dont know where to put pitt.

7-8 was our goal. still sitting there with all winnable games with solid efforts.

people act like UL went up and down the field.. they had 350 yds.. the first drive was a blown coverage on a bootleg that if the safety does his job its a sack and likely a punt from the endzone and we start at midfield for what would have been the only time of the game. The throw was terrible but completed.. they had 95 on that drive and 60 on the late run. 200 the rest of the game and avg 2.5 a carry on the other 30 carries and the Qb had 100 yds passing after that drive.. hardly showed a lack of effort by the D. even the long run never happens if the blatant holds was called or thomas plays the angle better as he read the play well.

the offense is what it is, people blame play calling, yet Nassib missed at least 3 td passes that had tons of room to be at worst big plays. its been the story all year, good calls that not only took pts off the board but never change the D from being able to attack us cause we never make them pay. we are probably looking at 10+ td passes that at worst should have been 5 or more. one more per game and 50+ yards.

the running game sucks most of the time, but without a play maker at rcvr you need to run enough to give you the chance to throw, and you cant argue it has given us the shots for plays that Nassib has just not handle well.

just like Baileys long run yesterday, a better back waits for harris to make a real block not a cut block and then probably scores on that play. if bailey was the 2nd back we would be much better, I think in reality smith and moore are both going to be better backs, add in Gulley to be the change up next year and we will be improved, but will probably no home run hitter.

from what i have heard we probably have 3-4 better linemen off the field this year because of injuries and RS. It would not shock me at all if we replace at least 3 guys next year. Pugh is the only one who is playing solid.

the rcvrs are catching the ball, for a couple years we couldn't even do that.

Going into the year and looking at history, DM beats the teams we have more talent then, goes 50/50 against teams we are about even with and has stolen a couple games from teams that have more talent.

so far this year

we beat RI/Tulane/Toledo who we should have.
We beat wake and lost to rutgers/UL in our 50/50 games
we lost to USC and beat WV against teams who have more talent.

by averages we should be 4-4 or 5-3 which is right where we should be, the rutgers loss is killer but we could have screwed up one of the should haves too and stole the WV game its awash..

we have uconn in the 50/50 games
we have USF/Cinci in probably more talent games
and dont know where to put pitt.

7-8 was our goal. still sitting there with all winnable games with solid efforts.
i give you a hard time for fun but this is a good post. glad you and jersey orange posted because I was starting to wonder if i was nuts (not really)

Tell Johnny Unitas, Tom Jackson, etc...you're not doing a good job here.

IMO the O system is a mess and won't work. We have heard that this isn't his real system. In which case I say that is asinine. Why not run your goddamn system? Cuz this isn't working. There is no way we would be worse running his system.
That's really the crux of it, yeah.

We need to keep some perspective - last year the offense could not even manage a shotgun snap. 4 years ago they were painful to watch. The team is making steady progress in the Marrone era, don't throw out the baby with the bath water after a disappointing loss.

:bang::bang::bang:

They're still painful to watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom