I just don’t understand Dino sometimes | Syracusefan.com

I just don’t understand Dino sometimes

Dcuse

All Conference
While I continue to support him as coach going forward he mystifies me. First it was pocketing the timeouts against Pitt. This game...he rightfully pulls Rex when the game is out of hand but why wouldn’t you have Jacobian try and move the team? The kid is one jammed finger, turned ankle, bell ringing hit,etc. away from having to come in and run the team. Why wouldn’t you let him see what that looks like in a low stress situation? To just have him stand there to the end of the play clock and hand the ball to Pierre or Lutz makes zero sense.
Terrific effort by the guys today.

While I continue to support him as coach going forward he mystifies me. First it was pocketing the timeouts against Pitt. This game...he rightfully pulls Rex when the game is out of hand but why wouldn’t you have Jacobian try and move the team? The kid is one jammed finger, turned ankle, bell ringing hit,etc. away from having to come in and run the team. Why wouldn’t you let him see what that looks like in a low stress situation? To just have him stand there to the end of the play clock and hand the ball to Pierre or Lutz makes zero sense.

So Wake won't have any film on him?

I hear you.

At the same time, I was rooting for the clock to tick twice as fast to get out of there without anything (more) freaking happening and Clemson held under 50.

Completely agree. Really loved the heart of the team today but when it got out of reach and Morgan went in you need to let him play. Ridiculous to put him in only to hand off. If Rex gets hurt Morgan comes in with no game throws. Did the same thing earlier in the season when Rex came in for TD. Dino acts like his offense is so complicated that you have to be in his system multiple years until you can move the team. Now I know why we have such a hard time recruiting qbs. Why would you come when you have to wait several years before you even have a opportunity to throw a pass in a game. Frustrating as a fan.

Completely agree. Really loved the heart of the team today but when it got out of reach and Morgan went in you need to let him play. Ridiculous to put him in only to hand off. If Rex gets hurt Morgan comes in with no game throws. Did the same thing earlier in the season when Rex came in for TD. Dino acts like his offense is so complicated that you have to be in his system multiple years until you can move the team. Now I know why we have such a hard time recruiting qbs. Why would you come when you have to wait several years before you even have a opportunity to throw a pass in a game. Frustrating as a fan.

Well, if that's the case, a GOOD coach would simplify the system, and get enough of it installed - these are your 3 reads - keep it simple, and let athletes use their instincts. Systems shouldn't be so complicated that kids over-think what they are supposed to do on a particular play.

Maybe, just maybe, Morgan doesn't know enough of the playbook to where they feel comfortable letting him sling it.

Maybe, just maybe, Morgan doesn't know enough of the playbook to where they feel comfortable letting him sling it.
So if Rex gets shaken up that is all we are going to see...handoffs to Cooper up the middle. That’s all the playbook they can handle?

So if Rex gets shaken up that is all we are going to see...handoffs to Cooper up the middle. That’s all the playbook they can handle?

This will be the second week that they will get actual reps in practice, so it will improve.

I think they were thinking we’re down 20+ and can’t afford more injuries if we want to play more games

He’ll get his chance. The whole season is just for experience anyhow.

Dino knows the 2 freshmen aren’t ready. He was only in to get Rex off with the game over. By his comments early in the week he does not have any plans for them unless Rex goes down . By the way , how long does it take to teach the triple option ?

It was correct to play Rex the last 2 games. QB play wasn't why we lost to Liberty and that would be an awful first game for a true FR given what the D did and Clemson was a confidence killer.

Wake is the correct first game. Not exactly expecting Morgan or Markewitz to keep the job rest of the way I kind of expect to see Rex return sooner than later.

It was correct to play Rex the last 2 games. QB play wasn't why we lost to Liberty and that would be an awful first game for a true FR given what the D did and Clemson was a confidence killer.

Wake is the correct first game. Not exactly expecting Morgan or Markewitz to keep the job rest of the way I kind of expect to see Rex return sooner than later.
Missing the point. Not necessarily saying that Rex should be replaced by either guy. But every opportunity to see game action will help for their development so why wouldn’t you let them try and run the offense while in? Again... they are just a tweek away from HAVING to come in and lead the team.

Dino knows the 2 freshmen aren’t ready. He was only in to get Rex off with the game over. By his comments early in the week he does not have any plans for them unless Rex goes down . By the way , how long does it take to teach the triple option ?
Well, it is interesting that Dabo played his freshman QB and he threw several passes. What does Dabo do to get his freshman ready that DB doesn't. I don't need an answer since I already know it. Dabo is a much, much, much better coach then DB. Knows the game better and has quality assistant coaches.

Well, it is interesting that Dabo played his freshman QB and he threw several passes. What does Dabo do to get his freshman ready that DB doesn't. I don't need an answer since I already know it. Dabo is a much, much, much better coach then DB. Knows the game better and has quality assistant coaches.

Dabo also has a 5 star talent at backup QB that is already ready to throw and could start at 90% of P5 programs

Last edited:

Besides the difference that one is a 5 star, the number one QB recruit in the entire country, and was brought in to back up and one was an after thought in recruiting and was supposed to be third string at best and took his first real practice reps last week. And you are right Dabo is a better coach who hired amazing assistants at absolute premium price tag. Its apples and......Oranges compare

Funny how Dino beat him while having maybe 1/20th of the talent.

Well, if that's the case, a GOOD coach would simplify the system, and get enough of it installed - these are your 3 reads - keep it simple, and let athletes use their instincts. Systems shouldn't be so complicated that kids over-think what they are supposed to do on a particular play.

What, exactly is going on out there that is complicated? Runs up the middle. Shots down the sideline. Oh, yeah, the wildcat and the reverse.

Look, I know there's more too it than a fan can see. But is there more to it than other team's offenses?

At least he's using the timeouts. Sometimes when there was just a timeout, like, for example, a quarter ending.

Can't recall if I've ever seen us use a timeout to start the 4th quarter.
I'm pretty sure Coach P burned a timeout or two coming out of a quarter break to avoid delay of game.

Besides the difference that one is a 5 star, the number one QB recruit in the entire country, and was brought in to back up and one was an after thought in recruiting and was supposed to be third string at best and took his first real practice reps last week. And you are right Dabo is a better coach who hired amazing assistants at absolute premium price tag. Its apples and...Oranges compare
You are pointing out difference that had nothing to do with the original post. In that post it was said that QBs won't be played because they are freshmen and if they do they won't be throwing. I was just pointing out it was the opposite for clemson.