I just want to remind everyone that UNC game planned | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I just want to remind everyone that UNC game planned

I’m just saying that I’ve had salespeople work for me who were reliable, always on time, crisp wordtracks, killed role plays, gave effort but couldn’t close. I saw all the behind the scenes, but at the end of the day, results matter.

I’d like nothing more than Dungey to heal up and be the QB we know he is, but until that happens, we need to go with the guy giving us results.

You prove my point. You take everything en toto and make a decision. We have not had the luxury of two very good QBs on the team in quite some time (3 if you count our other backups, but this is mainly about ED and TD). ED is a proven commodity and the coaches will give that consideration. TD has limited play to counter that point.

You have not stated* what you do with sales personnel that have a long record of producing (closing) but his a slump. That is the more parallel analogy.

* I am not assuming this was intentional but more likely that it was not your line of thought, nor others' line of thought, for that matter.

If you’re game planning for a RS freshman QB with less (or perceived less) scramble ability, it’s about bringing pressure and making his reads more difficult. And you hit him.

But his accuracy in this system makes that dicey.

Good problem to have.

ED has delivered over the last three years. TD has delivered twice.

I am as big a fan of Dungey as anyone but what exactly did he deliver the previous years? Not a bowl game. He was just a hell of a lot better than his walk on backup Mahoney which raised his stock ESPECIALLY when he was out injured. But the fact that during previous seasons and on completely different teams we sucked when he didn't play really shouldn't factor in to how we put the best team on the field in 2018.

Devito might struggle and lose the job but the gap today between the 2 quarterbacks was noticable seeing both go up against the same D in the same game.

The difference between Devito and Dungey today was the same as the difference between Dungey and Mahoney. Not even close who the better option is. Some of those throws were ridiculous.

I want to be clear, I’m not 100% sure what I would do without being there everyday.

My instinct would be to short lease Dungey. He might come out smokin this week with a fire under his arse.

I didn’t think he played as terrible today as most. The fumbles were bad, outside of that, they both missed balls.

With TD, we’re going to have to lean on the run, because teams are going to take away the pass. I’d imagine they’d go 2 high and try to create pressure and confuse through a variety of ways.

It will change how we run our offense.

Now he can fire the ball into tight windows, so that’s a plus, bc he’ll have to.

I think this is a very good problem to have... I mean we’ve got 2 qb’s who can move the ball.

I’m interested to see how the week plays out.
I think part of DeVito's success comes from the defense seeing Dungey's ducks, and then T-Shirt Time comes in throwing heat and the defense isn't quite ready for it.

What was the announced attendance?

I think part of DeVito's success comes from the defense seeing Dungey's ducks, and then T-Shirt Time comes in throwing heat and the defense isn't quite ready for it.
There’s no doubt they’ll prepare differently. We’re better off today for a variety of reasons.

Teams are going to have to gameplan for two distinctively different qb’s. Aaaand, of course we have two dudes who can get the job done.

I am as big a fan of Dungey as anyone but what exactly did he deliver the previous years? Not a bowl game. He was just a hell of a lot better than his walk on backup Mahoney which raised his stock ESPECIALLY when he was out injured. But the fact that during previous seasons and on completely different teams we sucked when he didn't play really shouldn't factor in to how we put the best team on the field in 2018.

Devito might struggle and lose the job but the gap today between the 2 quarterbacks was noticable seeing both go up against the same D in the same game.

The difference between Devito and Dungey today was the same as the difference between Dungey and Mahoney. Not even close who the better option is. Some of those throws were ridiculous.

I respect your opinion, but your response is likely proof you've not read the thread, or at least followed my posts in the thread. I am not defending ED,I have not taken a position on either, and I have conceded that DeVito may be the right answer. My point has been to keep things out of emotion (Can you say Rutgers fans? UConn fans?) and back where it belongs, based on information, stats and data, what coaches know, not what we see in 60 minutes of play on a Saturday.

I even addressed the fact that we have not had the luxury of debating QBs in some time. Your opinion that what ED has done in the past is not material to the present is just that, your opinion. I have an opinion, too, which if you read my posts will reveal that I think the staff has a better handle on things than we fans do.

You prove my point. You take everything en toto and make a decision. We have not had the luxury of two very good QBs on the team in quite some time (3 if you count our other backups, but this is mainly about ED and TD). ED is a proven commodity and the coaches will give that consideration. TD has limited play to counter that point.

You have not stated* what you do with sales personnel that have a long record of producing (closing) but his a slump. That is the more parallel analogy.

* I am not assuming this was intentional but more likely that it was not your line of thought, nor others' line of thought, for that matter.
I get it. It’s a tough situation for sure. In that situation though, I’d give leads to the guy who’s producing results. (Devito)

Dungey has been rough for 3 games. In a business cycle, that’s like 3 down months. That starts to get into the realm of questioning whether said salesperson should be working the best leads, or should I give them to the new guy who is producing results. (Give majority of reps to Devito)

If there’s extenuating circumstances, I’d look to change it up and find something they can excel at in the meantime until they get it together. (Give Dungey certain situational packages)

If we had not given up the last drive to Clemson would we be talking about changing QBs? If we didn’t give up over 220 yards rushing to Pitt and some god aweful big plays, would we be talking about TD? Syr has averaged 39.2 per game this year. The last 3 games 37 points. I get the TD love...he throws a tight ball and yes may be a better fit but for the most part ED has done enough on the offensive side of the ball to win most of this year. Granted he has had some bad plays, the WRs have had a few drops and there have been some three and outs. Those will happen with TD also. That is a fact. Keep ED starting, keep TD loose, rotate him in every third series and whomever shows the hot hand keep him in.

I get it. It’s a tough situation for sure. In that situation though, I’d give leads to the guy who’s producing results. (Devito)

Dungey has been rough for 3 games. In a business cycle, that’s like 3 down months. That starts to get into the realm of questioning whether said salesperson should be working the best leads, or should I give them to the new guy who is producing results. (Give majority of reps to Devito)

If there’s extenuating circumstances, I’d look to change it up and find something they can excel at in the meantime until they get it together. (Give Dungey certain situational packages)

And that is the analysis that HCDB will have to perform. I agree, 3 games/3months, or a full quarter of the season/year, is sufficient to start asking tougher questions. I have stated in other posts (I think in this and other threads) that we may see a two headed monster, where both get playing time. Playing time would be divvied up by performance against the then opponent, or in your scenario, different customers based on their needs/personalities/etc.

I liken it to what Butler offers the team. Yeah, we would all like to see him catch more balls downfield. However, the new kids are still learning routes, blocking downfield and other duties in the game that we may not see or appreciate as much as we should. Butler usually blocks downfield very well, something most kids do not do well coming out of high school. HCDB has to decide who to play because of the team needs, even though we only look at one factor, receptions.

Eric runs better, is more elusive. He’s got more experience.

Tommy is more accurate. He is a great fit for the offense.

With Eric it feels like everything is harder than it needs to be, but he wills the ball into the end zone.

With Tommy it’s like swimming with the current.

I dunno. It’s good that Dave Doreen has to think about both ;)

Eric runs better, is more elusive. He’s got more experience.

Tommy is more accurate. He is a great fit for the offense.

With Eric it feels like everything is harder than it needs to be, but he wills the ball into the end zone.

With Tommy it’s like swimming with the current.

I dunno. It’s good that Dave Doreen has to think about both ;)
Agree and just because Clemson beat State to a pulp does not mean that our game with them will be a gimme either. NC State has been a tough out for us. Anything to make their game prep for us tougher, I am all for. Hopefully no matter who the QB is, we can get the dub.

Agree and just because Clemson beat State to a pulp does not mean that our game with them will be a gimme either. NC State has been a tough out for us. Anything to make their game prep for us tougher, I am all for. Hopefully no matter who the QB is, we can get the dub.

They’ll be favored.

But they don’t run it like Pitt or Clemson. Might be a who can compliment their passing game with a better running game?

If we had not given up the last drive to Clemson would we be talking about changing QBs? If we didn’t give up over 220 yards rushing to Pitt and some god aweful big plays, would we be talking about TD? Syr has averaged 39.2 per game this year. The last 3 games 37 points. I get the TD love...he throws a tight ball and yes may be a better fit but for the most part ED has done enough on the offensive side of the ball to win most of this year. Granted he has had some bad plays, the WRs have had a few drops and there have been some three and outs. Those will happen with TD also. That is a fact. Keep ED starting, keep TD loose, rotate him in every third series and whomever shows the hot hand keep him in.
Dungey is far from the main reason Syracuse is averaging 39.2 ppg. Sadly, we've reached the point where he's holding the O back due to his poor passing ability. Opposing defensive coordinators have finally figured it out.

Even in the first four games, we would cringe at the passing offense and wonder when it would catch up to us. 7 of 17 passing against WMU. 7 of 15 against FSU.

Not only is Dungey seemingly incapable of consistently throwing an accurate pass at this point, but his mental game is shot as well. Once his first read is covered, he's a train wreck. Sacked four times today.

From a purely throwing standpoint, Dungey's regression reminds me a bit of Andrew Robinson. Suddenly his body just forgot how to throw the football.

Fortunately, Dungey can still contribute - just not as the full-time starter at QB. Put him in to run the read-option on a consistent basis. Get him some reps as H-Back/TE/RB. He's still a very talented athlete and can help. But he's way too limited as a passer to give him the majority of snaps from center when you have a better option on the roster.

staff will split reps in practice and for the game go w/ the hot hand. ED will be starter on the media guide but it wont matter. After NC state TD will be the offical starter, unless ED pulls it together for NC state

Last edited:
So basically...if SU O zigs and the opposing D starts to zig along with them they then zag?

Sorry, not to knock Dungey but what exactly has he delivered? Two 4 win seasons whee he didn’t finish the season. We had a great wins against Clemson and VaTech but one could argue that both were more due to the defense than anything Dungey did. I think Dungey is s great improviser and leader but I don’t think he’s a gray or even really good qb beyond crazy stats in a qb

His legacy is intact. He’ll be remembered for being a damn warrior who carried the team past #2 Clemson. We all understand his deficiencies.

Sorry, not to knock Dungey but what exactly has he delivered? Two 4 win seasons whee he didn’t finish the season. We had a great wins against Clemson and VaTech but one could argue that both were more due to the defense than anything Dungey did. I think Dungey is s great improviser and leader but I don’t think he’s a gray or even really good qb beyond crazy stats in a qb

Respectfully, I think you answered your own question. Dungey has delivered when he is in the game. DeVito has delivered when he is in. Both have faltered. Neither can be credited for bad performances when they did not play.

I have been consistent in stating the two must be compared equally, include all data, stats, practice, off field work, etc. That is what the coaches do. We, the armchair coaching staff, view the kids for 60 minutes (often drawn out over 3-4 hours) and have little to zero knowledge of the other information. If HCDB goes with DeVito, I am for it, if he choses Dungey, I am for it.

Ya know what i like? That i have no idea what HCDB is going to do. I am certain I know what every other SU coach would have done going back at least 35 years.

I just don't think Dino would let a QB with an injured throwing shoulder play in a pass happy offense not to mention with the RPO.
. I just don't think it's an injury. He looked fine on that bomb to Custis during the first series of the 2nd half.

I think it has to be an injury. . Please note, I'm not suggesting that it is something where his arm is about to fall off, just that he seems to be clearly impaired. Which is affecting his touch, velocity, accuracy, etc.

I don't think I said anything like that. I just wanted to point out that no one has game planned for TD yet.
Fair point, but it’s not like DeVito is Eli back there, he can run it.

This isn’t like baseball where u can go in the cage, turn it up to 100 and take your rips for that evenings starter then tomorrow turn it down to 85 and junk...and prepare for the next.

Dungey And DeVito seem to be pretty similar. One is a slightly more irresponsible runner and weaker passer, the other is not.

Fair point, but it’s not like DeVito is Eli back there, he can run it.

This isn’t like baseball where u can go in the cage, turn it up to 100 and take your rips for that evenings starter then tomorrow turn it down to 85 and junk...and prepare for the next.

Dungey And DeVito seem to be pretty similar. One is a slightly more irresponsible runner and weaker passer, the other is not.

Agreed, Devito is plenty athletic enough back there, he can run the ball when called upon to do so, but the threat of accurately thrown long balls will open this offense up. Receivers looked plenty athletic yesterday

Not ideal but I would play both of them. Then play the hot hand after 2nd quarter

we didnt do anything different gameplan wise when devito was in though

Unc is a bad team, possible bottom 5 p5, we got at home.
Bad team maybe, but their QB had a career day against us. Our offense is still underperforming, the question is why, I personnally think some of the plays called yesterday were just bizarre. Dungey for whatever reason is not playing up to his previous standard and abilty. We had a couple really bad turnovers. We were lucky to win that game. I will take it and be happy.