I like how Hop is playing this | Syracusefan.com

I like how Hop is playing this

MadNY3

All American
Sends a Tweet quoting Steve Jobs about a big decision looming.

Unloads on a series of Tweets about loving Orange, his kids bleeding Syracuse...the day before heading to Boston for an interview.

I like how he is playing the game.

Curious on how this all goes down.

Played well regardless of his decision? Am honestly curious of your input.

MadNY3 said:
I would say so. I think he sincerely does love Syracuse...and a reminder of that helps drive up the price BC has to offer and/or sets a good PR tone for potential departure or staying equally.
It certainly helps Hop's value -- and I have no doubt he loves SU, or has the well-deserved right to move on. Just not sure I'd tell my wife I loved her before moving into my mistress's house.

It certainly helps Hop's value -- and I have no doubt he loves SU, or has the well-deserved right to move on. Just not sure I'd tell my wife I loved her before moving into my mistress's house.

This is business.

MadNY3 said:
This is business.
No doubt -- but there are a bunch of SU fans who don't want to played. And Hop's greatest leverage is in his ability to return.

No doubt -- but there are a bunch of SU fans who don't want to played. And Hop's greatest leverage is in his ability to return.

Hop's greatest leverage is the threat of NOT returning.

And fans don't offer the contracts. Schools do.

He's doing nothing wrong. Playing it right and you can see the storyline no matter what happens.

MadNY3 said:
Hop's greatest leverage is the threat of NOT returning. And fans don't offer the contracts. Schools do. He's doing nothing wrong. Playing it right and you can see the storyline no matter what happens.
He's absolutely not doing anything wrong -- and should in fact have probably been more cutthroat in the past. But his leverage against Syracuse is limited as long as JB wants to be the coach -- JB will not be pushed out, nor does DG want that fight.

The ball is certainly in Hop's court -- and he has the capacity to exact demands like, I can leave for Syracuse.

Long story short, there's always a downside to negotiating in public.

EDIT: I see BO has liked your last post, and he knows better than us. Hop's leverage against SU is either pushing JB out or more money. Neither option makes me like Orange basketball more.

Last edited:
Long story short, there's always a downside to negotiating in public.

Negotiating in public? Journalists come to him for the story. Leaks go out that schools are legitimately interested in him; he is not Tom O'Brien'ing.

He is putting out evidence - loves Syracuse, curious ReTweets...but he is not negotiating in public. He's getting looks from schools who legitimately are considering him for HC.

Good for him. Tough for ambitious people to have discipline with this stuff. He has it in spades.

MadNY3 said:
Negotiating in public? Journalists come to him for the story. Leaks go out that schools are legitimately interested in him; he is not Tom O'Brien'ing. He is putting out evidence - loves Syracuse, curious ReTweets...but he is not negotiating in public. He's getting looks from schools who legitimately are considering him for HC. Good for him. Tough for ambitious people to have discipline with this stuff. He has it in spades.
I'm commenting only on your view of his Tweets. I'm more bored now than invested in the outcome -- he's a good guy who will make the right decision. But to think that there'll be a unilateral "That went well" defies common sense.

Negotiating in public? Journalists come to him for the story. Leaks go out that schools are legitimately interested in him; he is not Tom O'Brien'ing.

He is putting out evidence - loves Syracuse, curious ReTweets...but he is not negotiating in public. He's getting looks from schools who legitimately are considering him for HC.

Good for him. Tough for ambitious people to have discipline with this stuff. He has it in spades.
Don't see it. First, he has no leverage with Syracuse. Jb isn't going to be pushed around or out. Period. So that leaves leverage with B.C.. He has little. He wasn't their first choice and he probably isn't their second. He is an assistant without any head coaching experience. B.C. can get Skurry and not miss a beat. Love Hop but if B.C. says we want you but first show us how high you can jump, Mike will be up in the air in no time.

Don't see it. First, he has no leverage with Syracuse. Jb isn't going to be pushed around or out. Period. So that leaves leverage with B.C.. He has little. He wasn't their first choice and he probably isn't their second. He is an assistant without any head coaching experience. B.C. can get Skurry and not miss a beat. Love Hop but if B.C. says we want you but first show us how high you can jump, Mike will be up in the air in no time.

Neither side has any leverage, If Bc really wants him that bad, they have to know that he will leave them to take the syracuse job when Jb retires.

Neither side has any leverage, If Bc really wants him that bad, they have to know that he will leave them to take the syracuse job when Jb retires.
that's just it. B.C. doesn't want him that bad. He wasn't interviewed first. They wanted Amaker. Now, I would take Hop over tommy all day long but B.C.'s first choice was Amaker.

Briancuse said:

I doubt that. He leaves, he's likely gone for good.

What was the reason Amaker turned it down? I thought he would gave taken that gig.

What is so great about the BC job?

He makes it one.

The reason for him to stay for us is continuity and him asically being the shadow boss. At BC he's nothing more than another candidate -and an HC in a rival conference school.

Hop's greatest leverage is the threat of NOT returning.

And fans don't offer the contracts. Schools do.

He's doing nothing wrong. Playing it right and you can see the storyline no matter what happens.

If he leaves it's doubtful he ever gets the job.

What is so great about the Bc job?
Nothing at all. But if he went there, chances are he just wouldn't be able to have much success. How could an elite school like SU hire a coach whose lone HC gig is doing poorly at BC?
That's why, IMO, it would be approaching career suicide for Hop to go there.

Do you think BC is going to hire him knowing the circumstances? They will have something in his contract making it impossible to come back to Syracuse.
Totally agree with this.

Also, worst case if he fails as an HC, do we really want him back? He has to be very careful with how he plays this out.

Hopkins has to make sure where he goes they are committed to winning. Once that is established he has more than enough faith in his own abilities to win and do his job because it will be on him with no one to blame. If he fails or is successful in X amount of years when Boeheim leaves then we'll see what happens. SU could have a hot shot assistant here (maybe Red) or another coach that they desire from another school. Also, would SU pony up the cash to get a high profile coach? Let's face it, SU is a I want to get the most bang for the buck school (some may say cheap) and over paying for a new coach after not paying Boeheim would be an interesting topic.