I like how Hop is playing this | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I like how Hop is playing this

Terrible job, but that doesn't mean he's making a bad decision. Plenty of coaches have won in terrible job situations.

Didn't / Doesn't BC have a tougher athletic admission standard than many? Seem to recall that, and if so, it's an obstacle.

Who was the last great recruit/player that decided to go to BC?

Didn't / Doesn't BC have a tougher athletic admission standard than many? Seem to recall that, and if so, it's an obstacle.
B.C. will have to relax their standards. Harvard did. If not, they will never be successful.

They won under Skinner. It's a great school, reasonable sized gym. If they win people will show up, and there are a lot worse places to sell.

This can really happen, people need to get ready for a brave new world.

But BC canned Skinner anyways. They do have a poor rep and history with coaches in their programs - maybe they are open to change now? Dr Tom Davis left after just a few successful years (and a point shaving scandal), Gary Williams also left after a fairly successful 4 years, then of course Jim O'Brien had his public battles with BC over support even filing suit for breach of contract and slander which was settled out of court before also leaving for Ohio St, and Al Skinners' successful tenure also ended with hard feelings over BC's tactics. Last of course is Steve Donahue's tenure.

The last year BC was in the Big East (2004-2005), they came in 1st with a 25-5 record and averaged only 6,275 for their home games in their small 8,600 Conte forum. In 2008-2009 when BC had their most recent successful season in the ACC with a 22-12 record and a berth in the NCAA's, their attendance averaged only 5,548. They are a hockey school and their basketball team playing in the same season has to fight tradition for attention. Maybe SU and the ACC are trying to give BC a boost to become more relevant in a large tv market area while Hop gains valuable head coaching experience???

BC basketball with the exception of Al Skinner has always been a stepping stone program, not a destination, so even if Mike Hopkins took it, I wouldn't expect him to exceed the normal 4-5 year tenure. He certainly would be a breath of fresh air at BC with his energy, recruiting prowess and engaging personality but I'm an SU fan not a BC fan so I worry about the possibility of this loss and its effect on our program.

Last edited:
B.C. will have to relax their standards. Harvard did. If not, they will never be successful.
The ex Harvard coach is a family friend. He says there is no way he could've gotten the current players into school when he was coach. It may be a little bit of sour grapes but clearly some truth to it too...

Re BC I sort of think they just use that as a convenient excuse. Sean Williams was not a scholar, nor was Craig Smith. Or the Curley brothers...

Who was the last great recruit/player that decided to go to BC?
Truly elite HS player? Probably Billy Curley. Or Chris Herren. But they have had lots of solid top 50-75ish types - Scoonie Penn, Troy Bell, etc. Just not lately as Skinner got really stale and Donahue couldn't recruit. The Noel's of the world may always be out of reach, but kids like Pat Connaughton and Jake Layman aren't.

BC is in a terrible town for college sports, and they haven't won in ages.

BC hoops is behind the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins, NFL draft, MLB hot stove, BC hockey, and BC football in terms of interest in that town.

kirbivore said:
BC hoops is behind the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins, NFL draft, MLB hot stove, BC hockey, and BC football in terms of interest in that town.

USC and UCLA are second fiddle to everything else in LA.

the real fear is that if Hopkins leaves and the good doctor makes a bad hire after boeheim we could have games in the dome with like <10k butts in the seats. i'll guarantee you right now that season tickets for next year won't be close to this year, if Hopkins leaves and the staff screws the pooch for a couple years and boeheim retires, look out things could get ugly.

Truly elite HS player? Probably Billy Curley. Or Chris Herren. But they have had lots of solid top 50-75ish types - Scoonie Penn, Troy Bell, etc. Just not lately as Skinner got really stale and Donahue couldn't recruit. The Noel's of the world may always be out of reach, but kids like Pat Connaughton and Jake Layman aren't.

Bc isn't landing top level guys, first of all the academic standards there are tough, and no big recruits want to play in the conte forum in front of 50 people.

Bc isn't landing top level guys, first of all the academic standards there are tough, and no big recruits want to play in the conte forum in front of 50 people.
top level? maybe not. top 50-75 types? they can definitely land them.