I like how Hop is playing this | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I like how Hop is playing this

Anyone who has been around the team and Hop could probably tell you that when JB leaves, there is no one that the players will want to take over more than Hop. If it's about money, then SU should make it worthwhile for him to stay. If Hop really wants to be a HC now, then that's another story.

BC wanted Amaker because he's going to give them the most local buzz. He's an easy sell that they are looking to win games right away. The biggest issue that BC faced under Donahue was a complete and utter failure to keep D1 talent home. Imagine a BC team that featured Napier and Niang this year? I wonder if some of the HS/AAU coaches in NE suggested looking a lot closer at Hop before settling on a Skerry/Schmidt type.

Hop's greatest leverage is the threat of NOT returning.

And fans don't offer the contracts. Schools do.

He's doing nothing wrong. Playing it right and you can see the storyline no matter what happens.
He's doing something wrong by considering BC. He nearly got the USC job just last season. You wouldn't think he'd be so desperate.

He's doing something wrong by considering BC. He nearly got the USC job just last season. You wouldn't think he'd be so desperate.

It's a 7 figure job in a great city and ACc school. Everyone should be so desperate.

It's a 7 figure job in a great city and ACc school. Everyone should be so desperate.
Not everyone is as talented as Hop (IMO) nor has a deal to take over as the man at his dream school when the time is right. By going to BC not only would he be going into an extremely challenging situation but he'd be throwing all of his allegiances to SU away forever.

Not everyone is as talented as Hop (IMO) nor has a deal to take over as the man at his dream school when the time is right. By going to BC not only would he be going into an extremely challenging situation but he'd be throwing all of his allegiances to SU away forever.

He could be 50, there could be a new AD, lots of things can happen. Mike isn't a young guy...he's what, 44. His peer group is head coaching. At some point a guy cannot wait forever. And a very good school in a great city and conference is a hell of a get.

Nothing at all. But if he went there, chances are he just wouldn't be able to have much success. How could an elite school like SU hire a coach whose lone HC gig is doing poorly at BC?
That's why, IMO, it would be approaching career suicide for Hop to go there.

Career Suicide? It's not St Bonaventure. It's Boston College. It's career suicide to wait for JB to retire. He needs to get a HCing gig, IMO, and take his lumps.

I know he is the HC in waiting, but at some point it would be nice to know just how long that wait might be. How long does a guy keep hearing that his boss doesn't know how much longer he'll coach, unless that isn't the case and JB is telling Hop some approximate timetable. It's like telling your girlfriend you're going to marry her but aren't ready and aren't sure when you will be. Eventually she will move on...not that I know about that...but a guy I know...ah, never mind.

Nothing at all. But if he went there, chances are he just wouldn't be able to have much success. How could an elite school like SU hire a coach whose lone HC gig is doing poorly at BC?
That's why, IMO, it would be approaching career suicide for Hop to go there.
Bc is nowhere near as bad a job as people make it out to be. Tons of talent in new england - off the top of my head over the last couple years - noel, goodluck, niang, layman, kaleb joseph, vonleh. A good recruiter can win at bc and then parlay into a big job ala jim obrien or gary williams.

Bc is nowhere near as bad a job as people make it out to be. Tons of talent in new england - off the top of my head over the last couple years - noel, goodluck, niang, layman, kaleb joseph, vonleh. A good recruiter can win at bc and then parlay into a big job ala jim obrien or gary williams.
I think the fact that all those guys left the area says that even a great recruiter would be facing an uphill battle

I think the fact that all those guys left the area says that even a great recruiter would be facing an uphill battle
It isnt without its challenges but very few first time head coaches get better jobs than bc. In fact i cant think of any off the top of my head. Bill guthridge i suppose...

BC is in a terrible town for college sports, and they haven't won in ages.

They won under Skinner. It's a great school, reasonable sized gym. If they win people will show up, and there are a lot worse places to sell.
This can really happen, people need to get ready for a brave new world.
Yes, one where the heir apparent at Syracuse takes over BC and turns them into a power while the Orange go into a wandering in the wilderness phase themselves.

Yes, one where the heir apparent at Syracuse takes over BC and turns them into a power while the Orange go into a wandering in the wilderness phase themselves.

I hope I am wrong. It's hoops, take 2 to 3 good players a year and a system where they can win.

UNC had to go through two coaches before they got to Roy after Dean left

They won under Skinner. It's a great school, reasonable sized gym. If they win people will show up, and there are a lot worse places to sell.

I agree. One area where Hop can have an impact is breaking through to fans in Boston, which is not easy. His personality will really put the program out there, as I can imagine him charming the media and really marketing what they're doing. A similar personality to how Pete Carroll did it at USC (much bigger program, I know, just a comparison). Plus, with the Celtics in rebuilding mode for the next couple of years, he'll have a chance to get some attention if he gets things going a bit.

I think BC really lost a lot in going to the ACC. Even if they didn't have a huge following, enough Boston residents are from NE cities so they could follow the league.

Not saying it would be easy, but I'd give him as good a chance as any.

I agree. One area where Hop can have an impact is breaking through to fans in Boston, which is not easy. His personality will really put the program out there, as I can imagine him charming the media and really marketing what they're doing. A similar personality to how Pete Carroll did it at USC (much bigger program, I know, just a comparison). Plus, with the Celtics in rebuilding mode for the next couple of years, he'll have a chance to get some attention if he gets things going a bit.

I think BC really lost a lot in going to the ACC. Even if they didn't have a huge following, enough Boston residents are from NE cities so they could follow the league.

Not saying it would be easy, but I'd give him as good a chance as any.
They lost their rivals, which drives teams and fan bases. They have them back now.(Cuse, Pitt, ND).

IMO no coach will be able to have great success at BC. They cannot compete regularly for a conference title with programs like Duke, UNC, Louisville even leaving SU out of the equation. The best they can do is some years finish 4th, 5th and get a NCAAT bid. Compare that to say the Marquette job where it is very possible to be able to win the conference title regularly and be an annual top 25 program.

If they offer him the Job he should take it. He would have taken USC if offered.

IMO no coach will be able to have great success at BC. They cannot compete regularly for a conference title with programs like Duke, UNC, Louisville even leaving SU out of the equation. The best they can do is some years finish 4th, 5th and get a NCAAT bid. Compare that to say the Marquette job where it is very possible to be able to win the conference title regularly and be an annual top 25 program.

The three programs you mentioned have head coaches that are a combined almost 200 years old. Success is never a guarantee.

Yep. Sounds like what everyone was saying about UConn and the Big East years ago. If you don't think a young Calhoun or JB could win at B.C., I disagree. Hop may be just that. Only not so young.

The three programs you mentioned have head coaches that are a combined almost 200 years old. Success is never a guarantee.
But those coaches will all be there for at least the next 5 years which is the probable duration of the next BC coach's contract and the term he will be judged on.

But those coaches will all be there for at least the next 5 years which is the probable duration of the next BC coach's contract and the term he will be judged on.

Unless you're their doctor that's impossible to say for sure. None of em are young, and Roy has had real health issues.

Mike Hopkins will beat those guys , they're not gods you know.