I like the over, but I might be delusional... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

I like the over, but I might be delusional...

I think you can justify keeping Dino with 5 Ws as long as we end strong. Can't have games like Louisville, NC State, Pitt to end the year.
How is this acceptable? 5 wins and you lose Tucker too as far as NFL Draft? This is acceptable? Can the bar be set any lower?

UL became an annual rival for UVa because they replaced Umd when the Terps took the money and ran out on the ACC.

So those programs have been playing each year for a long time.

Thought it would be interesting to see how that game went last year.

It was a really interesting game. UL got out to a big lead but UVa did not panic and slowly closed the gap. They ended up with the ball late and a chance to win. Had a crazy late drive to get the winning touchdown where a TD was called back repeatedly. But they ended up scoring the TD anyway.

UL drove down the lead late and actually had a chance to win but their crappy place kicker missed a FG and UVa won 34-33. UL was outscored 21-3 in the fourth quarter.

Armstrong threw for 48 yards on 60! attempts. Looks like they mostly focused on intermediate routes 10 yard or so downfield. I think it would have been an easier win if not for a cheap shot from a UL punk safety near the start of the game that took UVA’s best WR out of the game early.

I don’t think we will throw it that much but it is nice to see the UVa offense have a lot more success moving the ball and scoring points than our offense did last season.

Here is a video of the game:

Here is a box score:

When they show the UVa offense driving late, note that director opts to focus on Coach Beck, with his sunglasses on, instead of Coach Anae. Coach Beck looks cool and composed.

I suspect we will see similar scenes late in Syracuse games this season.

If our passing game progresses I don’t see how we don’t hit the over. O line is seasoned and we have the best running back in college football. As long as Garrett takes a step forward throwing the ball our offense should be hard to stop.

If our passing game progresses I don’t see how we don’t hit the over. O line is seasoned and we have the best running back in college football. As long as Garrett takes a step forward throwing the ball our offense should be hard to stop.
That's the big IF.

That's the big IF.
Of course it is, but the way I look at it is our passing attack can’t get worse from last year, so the only direction to go is up, Passing game doesn’t even have to be electric, just functional enough to get the safeties out of the box and and the linebackers to have a thought about having to drop back, that’ll open up things even more for Tuck.

It will happen. Among elite players
in bball you sign before a season starts. in fball you dont, but who knows if someone would bail on a season take an nIL and then not get a scholie.

Of course it is, but the way I look at it is our passing attack can’t get worse from last year, so the only direction to go is up, Passing game doesn’t even have to be electric, just functional enough to get the safeties out of the box and and the linebackers to have a thought about having to drop back, that’ll open up things even more for Tuck.
A couple caveats... the players are learning a new system and it may take some time to gel. Plus, the improvement has to be substantial if we hope to overcome the schedule.

I think we have the talent and coaches this year to pull off a game or two in the schedule no one really expects us to win. Kind of like Clemson at home at Virginia Tech at home the first 2 years of Dino here. Not saying it will be of the magnitude of Clemson but I think this is the best coaching staff we’ve had here since Coach P and I think this is one of the more talented teams we’ve had in awhile. If we are playing a ranked team anywhere ranked from 15-25 I feel like we have a better shot to beat them than years past and it’s definitely doable. When you start getting in the top 10 then it’s a bit re difficult. But I think this year we compete a lot better than years past. We significantly upgraded our coaching and upgraded our talent at most positions and we almost went bowling last year. Granted not as tough a schedule last year as this year but really no one in the ACC scares me. Even Clemson isn’t the same until they have their QB situation figured out

A couple caveats... the players are learning a new system and it may take some time to gel. Plus, the improvement has to be substantial if we hope to overcome the schedule.
I don’t think I agree that it has to be “substantial” to hit the over on the win total. Our schedule is more difficult than last years for sure, but we hit 5 wins with little to no passing threat at all. Our ground game will be one of the best in the country again this year with a more experienced offensive line and another year matured best running back in the country Sean Tucker. I really think if we can even have a threat of pushing the ball down the field it’ll open alot of avenues for our offense, as long as teams can’t stack the box as aggressively as they did last year that in itself should make our offense harder to stop than last year and i don’t personally think that task will require substantial improvement.

I don’t think I agree that it has to be “substantial” to hit the over on the win total. Our schedule is more difficult than last years for sure, but we hit 5 wins with little to no passing threat at all. Our ground game will be one of the best in the country again this year with a more experienced offensive line and another year matured best running back in the country Sean Tucker. I really think if we can even have a threat of pushing the ball down the field it’ll open alot of avenues for our offense, as long as teams can’t stack the box as aggressively as they did last year that in itself should make our offense harder to stop than last year and i don’t personally think that task will require substantial improvement.
It's so hard to say. This is the time of year when we all think that anything is possible and that THIS will be the year when we turn it around. Throw in the new coaches , interesting transfers, and maybe some growth in the passing game and who knows how big a jump we could make.

That being said, we did win 5 games but Ohio, Albany, and Liberty aren't walking through that door again. We struggled mightily at the end of the year against real teams.

It might need to be "substantial" in certain areas, given the step up in weight class that we will be facing. I don't know; I watched the Spring game and thought "sure they are facing the second and third string, but man some of those guys look good!" I think it will be a year where there will be growth during the season and the starting units will have some different names by mid-year. What final record that results in, I have no clue.

It's so hard to say. This is the time of year when we all think that anything is possible and that THIS will be the year when we turn it around. Throw in the new coaches , interesting transfers, and maybe some growth in the passing game and who knows how big a jump we could make.

That being said, we did win 5 games but Ohio, Albany, and Liberty aren't walking through that door again. We struggled mightily at the end of the year against real teams.

It might need to be "substantial" in certain areas, given the step up in weight class that we will be facing. I don't know; I watched the Spring game and thought "sure they are facing the second and third string, but man some of those guys look good!" I think it will be a year where there will be growth during the season and the starting units will have some different names by mid-year. What final record that results in, I have no clue.
For sure, definitely a wait and see no matter where you stand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom