I like the over, but I might be delusional... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

I like the over, but I might be delusional...

It was also year 6, so close might not be good enough for some people at this point. That being said,, I'm resigned to the fact that Dino is more than likely getting another season with the new staff unless this season is a total disaster, so I'm sure you'll be happy about that. Hopefully it's a good one.
Happy isn’t how I’d describe it. Sometimes people equate my hope/optimism in the Syracuse HC as a stamp of approval for Babers or Shafer or whomever - when really I’m trying to be pragmatic.

In this case, like I said if that 1 win season happens without Covid playing a role, I’d have been on board with starting over. That’s the one year it made sense. If folks want to argue something different, make the argument.

There are things I like and things I don’t like. Lots of people harp on the things they don’t like, so I carry the torch for the other side. Don’t assume I don’t share in some of those same thoughts.

Happy isn’t how I’d describe it. Sometimes people equate my hope/optimism in the Syracuse HC as a stamp of approval for Babers or Shafer or whomever - when really I’m trying to be pragmatic.

In this case, like I said if that 1 win season happens without Covid playing a role, I’d have been on board with starting over. That’s the one year it made sense. If folks want to argue something different, make the argument.

There are things I like and things I don’t like. Lots of people harp on the things they don’t like, so I carry the torch for the other side. Don’t assume I don’t share in some of those same thoughts.
It’s a fair take. We all are critical the way the program has flatlined in past 4 years. I love Tucker and GS. Hope they win 7 this year

There are positives but I wonder what the expectation is for the program in this new football world. If the school is ok w a good guy running a mediocre program than Dino shouldn’t lose his job ever and hope we fall into occasional bowl seasons

Marrone was a typical football guy who wasn’t a good guy by all accounts. Seemed to be difficult in hindsight. Not sure JW wants that type of guy if the result is incremental progress in wins and losses vs Dino who seems to be easier to work with and a great rep of the program

It was also year 6, so close might not be good enough for some people at this point. That being said,, I'm resigned to the fact that Dino is more than likely getting another season with the new staff unless this season is a total disaster, so I'm sure you'll be happy about that. Hopefully it's a good one.
Yeah, my fuse was basically exhausted last year. Admittedly, I’m not JW so it doesn’t really matter.

And it’s not just W’s & L’s that got me to that point.

Regardless, the off-season hires were phenomenal. At that point, hope returned bc I think the coaches will be allowed to coach and DB can be the CEO. Which lets be honest, I think most here would agree that’s his strength.

Tony White was already a gem on the staff, we solidified that with a couple of highly respected, proven, coaches on the offensive side and a very experienced ST Coordinator.

If the expectation isn’t to be better this year, even though this is year one for some of these coaches, then our goals don’t align. Getting to 6 is the minimum. And I’m confident we get there.

#GetTo6

Yeah, my fuse was basically exhausted last year. Admittedly, I’m not JW so it doesn’t really matter.

Regardless, the off-season hires were phenomenal. At that point, hope returned bc I think the coaches will be allowed to coach and DB can be the CEO. Which lets be honest, I think most here would agree that’s his strength.

Tony White was already a gem on the staff, we solidified that with a couple of highly respected, proven, coaches on the offensive side and a very experienced ST Coordinator.

If the expectation isn’t to be better this year, even though this is year one for some of these coaches, then our goals don’t align. Getting to 6 is the minimum. And I’m confident we get there.

#GetTo6

That's my logical syracuse fan opinion too. I just don't know what the appetite is for Syracuse AD to cut bait if we win 3 games this year with this new offense. If this offense sputters, I have no idea where we go from here. I would hope JW would holistically look at things and try to fix it all but maybe the school has decided that it's not worth it.

#GetTo6
This is where I was. I had nothing against Sterlin but after 1-10 in Covid something wasn't right. His time at UT and USF was erratic.

The new offensive coaching staff should at least keep the offense functional at worst. The special team's blunders last year is on Dino and his ridiculous STs by committee. They could have easily won 7 games with better execution. Assuming that gets fixed we have 3 solid coaching legs. I totally agree that Dino as a CEO plays to his strengths.

My rock bottom expectation is 5 wins but if everything clicks and the injuries are minimal 8 or 9 wins is attainable.

We'll know where we stand after three home games vs Louisville, Purdue and Virginia.

This is where I was. I had nothing against Sterlin but after 1-10 in Covid something wasn't right. His time at UT and USF was erratic.

The new offensive coaching staff should at least keep the offense functional at worst. The special team's blunders last year is on Dino and his ridiculous STs by committee. They could have easily won 7 games with better execution. Assuming that gets fixed we have 3 solid coaching legs. I totally agree that Dino as a CEO plays to his strengths.

My rock bottom expectation is 5 wins but if everything clicks and the injuries are minimal 8 or 9 wins is attainable.

We'll know where we stand after three home games vs Louisville, Purdue and Virginia.
It seems most everyone agrees Dino as CEO , but keep out of calling plays is a good thing. Now if someone can just make Dino realize that.

but of that top 25 list..

Clemson kid. He has talent but he sure hasnt play to that level yet
Pitt kid.. Did well at USC.. But one thing Pitt had last year was a QB that saved plays and the best WR.. will he play at that level?
BC. We know we can beat BC
Virg lost a ton
NC state. He played well
Wake. We know we can beat them and should have last year
Purdue we need to beat them to get to 6 I suspect
Lou.. we suck vs them anyway much of the time

It starts and ends with Shrader. There really isn't another option with Lamson out for the season. Morgan and Villari are not realistic options.
Villari was barely here for the Spring game...if he is needed next Fall...he'll have a better understanding of the offense by then. He was a 3rd string QB at Michigan...at worst I figure he is a serviceable 2nd string QB here.

I love Tucker but this isnt 1980s or 90s football anymore

A proficient QB is so much more valuable than a RB today.

Just look at how the Heisman trophy shifted to being won by RBs to QBs
Agree...it is important...1300-1500 rushing yards still counts and is significant. However...not same as say when Tony Dorsett played...Today game is QB/WR dominated. Pass happy. I like more offensive balance myself.

It will happen. Among elite players
I'll go a step further...say an incoming senior prep schooler is 5 star...in great demand...why not sit out the entire final HS year?...don't play at all...have agent negotiate all upcoming NIL deals for freshman college season...and you start Year 1 healthy and also very, very rich.

It is going to happen. Now will it be with everyone? No...but the top guys? Yeah, the 5 stars...its going to happen.

Really, we are watching a battleship...college football...take on water and start to sink. There has to be regulation. Or the battleship is going to inevitably sink. I think in 2-3 years. By 2024-2025 tops...if not regulated...this sport will be a complete mess. Not sustainable.

Many very serious CFB fans nationally will start to question why they should even bother to watch...I think it could be this bad.

Last edited:
I'll go a step further...say an incoming senior prep schooler is 5 star...in great demand...why not sit out the entire final HS year?...don't play at all...have agent negotiate all upcoming NIL deals for freshman college season...and you start Year 1 healthy and also very, very rich.

It is going to happen. Now will it be with everyone? No...but the top guys? Yeah, the 5 stars...its going to happen.

Really, we are watching a battleship...college football...take on water and start to sink. There has to be regulation. Or the battleship is going to inevitably sink. I think in 2-3 years. By 2024-2025 tops...if not regulated...this sport will be a complete mess. Not sustainable.

Many very serious CFB fans nationally will start to question why they should even bother to watch...I think it could be this bad.

my interest in the entire sport went from very high to ghoulishly curious now (and that includes Syracuse). I pay attention, will post here but won't rearrange my weekends for college football anymore. it's a bizarre frankesnsteinian sport with zero rules and zero equality.

it'll collapse on itself unless red states (who will end up eating themselves) decide they want regulation in the sport. I think Saban spitting at Jimbo was the first shot across the bow

my interest in the entire sport went from very high to ghoulishly curious now (and that includes Syracuse). I pay attention, will post here but won't rearrange my weekends for college football anymore. it's a bizarre frankesnsteinian sport with zero rules and zero equality.

it'll collapse on itself unless red states (who will end up eating themselves) decide they want regulation in the sport. I think Saban spitting at Jimbo was the first shot across the bow
Yep...I won't watch those CBS SEC games anymore. That's for sure. ...plus a lot of national games that I formerly watched...I'll just go with the NFL. Like you said...zero rules or at least no rules that are enforcable...so what does that leave you with on practical basis? No rules!...no competitive balance at all...strict pay to play...no connection anymore with the university. It was tenuous in SEC anyway..educational attainment and SEC FB never really belonged in same sentence...gone completely now, NIL ended all this..this is Pro sports on college level...Texas A&M is the equivalent of a law firm hiring a bunch of 5 star BB players for the mail room...and the company basketball team.

Its really a joke. WWE without Vince McMahon.

Last edited:
I think you can justify keeping Dino with 5 Ws as long as we end strong. Can't have games like Louisville, NC State, Pitt to end the year.

It can't be under 4 wins this year, can it?

Well, we won five last year, and if it weren't for the uncertainty about the DL, I'd feel pretty good about getting to a bowl this year. Especially with the new blood on the coaching staff.

Dino has been to 1 bowl game in 6 years. Is there any other team with such a record of not qualifying for a bowl this poor in ACC? Perhaps Duke? I don't know. Anyway, very tough schedule, but Dino has to get 6-6...bowl game is mandatory IMO.

Tucker might not be here in 2023...he could opt out for NFL. You can't give an extension to Dino without a bowl game in 2022. Is there any team in P5 which has 1 bowl apperance in 7 years if we fell short again in 22'?..I haven't checked, but doubt it...But you also can't let him twist in wind for one last year of his contract cause this impacts recruiting. How do you sell recruits that you will be the head coach?

So lets go all out for bowl in 2022...its a must that bowl is achieved

I agree with your sentiment. What bothers me is we haven't gotten a couple big bodies for the line from the portal or JUCO grads. I don't see us surviving late into the season with a JV sized defensive line

Not to be that guy but this staff hasn't coached 1 game together yet, not sure how you could label them "exceptional". I think we all like bringing in the UVA guys and they seem like massive upgrades but in 2022/2023 not sure you can sell a fanbase on bringing back a HC who has 1 winning season in 7 years if SU is again under .500 this season. Attendance was already abysmal for multiple games last season, add in a major price hike for most seats this season and your at a point where SU has to get to 6 games or blow it up.

Well, don't forget that White is doing a great job with the D, moving Achuff to D Line is where he has spent most of his career and has excelled, coaching Chandler Jones in the pros, IIRC.

The offensive line coach, Mike Schmidt, is the best we've had since Marrone, and honestly even longer. We have a proven NFL special teams guy with 100 years of experience.

Plus the UVA guys, and a whole new analytics program that they are bringing with them.

What's not to like about this staff? Yes, they haven't coached a game with the UVA guys and Ligashesky, but the O Line coach, D Line coach and D Coordinator were all here last year, and all did a great job. We have a lot to build on.

I agree with your sentiment. What bothers me is we haven't gotten a couple big bodies for the line from the portal or JUCO grads. I don't see us surviving late into the season with a JV sized defensive line
We wont.

I generally agree, although I still watch Syracuse and my parents 2 alma maters. Other than that, I'm not sure I watched a full game this past season.

I generally agree, although I still watch Syracuse and my parents 2 alma maters. Other than that, I'm not sure I watched a full game this past season.
I didn't watch more than 2 quarters of all the CFP games. None of the other bowl games.

National games? Almost nothing...anyone remember the old big national games that were once must watch events...Alabama-LSU, Ohio State-Michigan, Oklahoma-Texas, USC- ND, USC-UCLA, Florida-Georgia, FSU-Miami...

I watched none. Not a minute. I don't care. Yet I watched a tedious Thanksgiving Day Game between the Lions and Bears. The NFL has rules...the NFL has parity...competitive balance...a salary cap so the Rams and Guants can't always outbid Packers and Bills

...I did watch Army-Navy. Legit student/athletes. Hard to find in today's college FB.

As I said, we are talking 2-3 year window. P5 has to break away. Have rules...honest to goodness rules...with some ekement of fairness or equity. Or this sport is done. Finished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom