I like Wildhack a lot but the AD's office overall is clueless | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I like Wildhack a lot but the AD's office overall is clueless

Yup Pitt travels like a G5 team
Never saw Pitt play a football game in NYC but based on the dozen fans that show up at games at JMA, or the 250 Pitt fans people that used to show up at MSG for the BET, I would not expect them to have a good turnout.

That’s the one thing they aren’t doing. 6 home games year after year is a disadvantage. Moving home games is a disadvantage. I know the ACC isn’t doing us any favors with the schedules but in 2025 we are playing Tennessee on a neutral field and @ND, @Clem and @FSU. Nuts. In consecutive years we’ll be playing non cons vs Tennessee, ND, ND, PSU. All on the road. When do we play Georgia?
Sure but to me the one game vs a a heavy weight does provide some buzz for the squad nationally. I used to hate over scheduling but let’s be real we aren’t a perpetual 8-9 win team but for one more cupcake. We are a 4-6 win team. We need to make hay in our conf where we are already punching above our weight for most part

There seems to be 2 different conversations going on here:

1) Moving the Pitt game to NYC. It sucks, IMHO. It'll be 45 miles from my house and it's probably 30/70 that I bother to go. Yankee Stadium sucks for football (and is an antiseptic mausoleum in general). A regular season game between what's likely to be 2 very mediocre teams is not much incentive to battle traffic in the Bronx.

2) SU football ticket prices. They're dirt cheap relative to practically every other P5 program. I just paid more for four, 8-game season tickets at the new Sacred Heart University hockey arena than a lot of people pay for SU football season tix.

1) Moving the Pitt game to NYC. It sucks, IMHO. It'll be 45 miles from my house and it's probably 30/70 that I bother to go. Yankee Stadium sucks for football (and is an antiseptic mausoleum in general). A regular season game between what's likely to be 2 very mediocre teams is not much incentive to battle traffic in the Bronx.

2) SU football ticket prices. They're dirt cheap relative to practically every other P5 program. I just paid more for four, 8-game season tickets at the new Sacred Heart University hockey arena than a lot of people pay for SU football season tix.
The moving of one game to Yankee stadium is much ado about nothing.

BC moved a game to Ireland against Tech a few years back. It’s a one off. This isn’t a meadowlands deal.

The moving of one game to Yankee stadium is much ado about nothing.

BC moved a game to Ireland against Tech a few years back. It’s a one off. This isn’t a meadowlands deal.
Apples and oranges, IMHO. I grew up a BC fan and, as you well know, there's a certain affinity to the Emerald Isle from a big chunk of their alumni base.

It's not nothing when you piss off your fanbase, which is what SU seems to have done with the Pitt game. And the lack of response about it is a terrible look.

I think there would be more local interest in a Syracuse - Pitt game if we moved it to Ireland.

Perhaps better field conditions too.

The thing is I don't think Larry from Mattydale who has two $199 season tickets cares about the Pitt game whatsoever, just the psychos here. And hey I get it but things here get blown out of proportion because that is what we do, including myself. We wouldn't have anything to talk about in the off season.

don't go to the pitt game or do, Wildhack took some low hanging fruit and is going to cash a check. There is a business component to this as well. Just have to live with it. Hey cancel your tickets if you are that pissed off. I certainly will not.

Apples and oranges, IMHO. I grew up a BC fan and, as you well know, there's a certain affinity to the Emerald Isle from a big chunk of their alumni base.

It's not nothing when you piss off your fanbase, which is what SU seems to have done with the Pitt game. And the lack of response about it is a terrible look.

We have a fan base here that bemoans no Blarney Rock in March (to jump over the rats). Don't think NYC should be a bridge too far.

Last edited:
The cost of fast food is out of control.

I say that as a dad whose 8th grade son hits up Roy Rogers as an after school hangout with his buddies. My problems with this lie deeper than the cost (Roy Rogers, that’s gong to attract the girls?!?!?!), but still, the cost…
Any self respecting man would at least post up in Burger King

I guess the counter to this counter is: what DO you want John Wildhack to do with the Athletic Dept in spite of these existential challenges.

The school is at a challenge being northeast full stop. There's two programs that matter up here: Penn St and ND. The rest are rotating chairs. To me its hard to compete with that, moreso now with the Big 10 being multiples ahead revenue wise going into the next decade.

Hoops will be fixed shortly once Boeheim retires. Fixed as in there will be a path forward to the future. Nothing against Jim but once you have a coach in his 80s essentially, it's an actuarial table of issues.

I think JW has done a nice job all things considered and the fact that he didn't hire either hoops or football coaches being on the job for this long now. I doubt there are many other ADs in his position without that choice being made.
I have a problem with him waiting for JB to retire. He is responsible for making the best decisions for SU athletic programs not for JB longevity. It is past time to tell him thank you for your wonderful service but the program needs to move into its future. We do not know what that future will be however you have run the great race and it is time for the program to move on.

Season Tickets are ridiculously cheap

And there’s still limited growth in demand. You need to capitalize on a winning season by maximizing the attractiveness of season tickets.

Moving a pitt game, which in good years draws 38,000 and up, is NOT that.

Games are assets, if they made a deal that increases their net on the game, go for it.
I know our upside is limited, which is why I get annoyed we're making it harder on ourselves scheduling wise.

I'm better with it for non-conf games. I think the issue is giving up a home conference matchup against a rival. Those are the games we have to win. making it harder to win is doing a disservice to the program and coaching staff. If we end up going 5-7 or 6-6 instead of 7-5 or whatever, you end up hurting the net of the program long term.

And the assumption here is it's NOT a one off deal.

I have no issues on season ticket price -- it's why i have season tickets five hours away.

The thing is I don't think Larry from Mattydale who has two $199 season tickets cares about the Pitt game whatsoever, just the psychos here. And hey I get it but things here get blown out of proportion because that is what we do, including myself. We wouldn't have anything to talk about in the off season.

don't go to the pitt game or do, Wildhack took some low hanging fruit and is going to cash a check. There is a business component to this as well. Just have to live with it. Hey cancel your tickets if you are that pissed off. I certainly will not.

You are beyond wrong on this.

The university has been hearing non stop from season ticket holders about this move.

This is a terrible terrible move by the AD…. Especially after he said he would never move a home football game while he was at Syracuse. Yikes

You are beyond wrong on this.

The university has been hearing non stop from season ticket holders about this move.

This is a terrible terrible move by the AD…. Especially after he said he would never move a home football game while he was at Syracuse. Yikes

Meh, I am sure Larry is outraged!

Last edited:

Larry from Mattydale only gets $99 season tickets. BTW the sideline 300s are the best deal IMHO at $125. Note: you have to walk up 20 rows closer to midfield. Larry might not care but Tom from Liverpool is pissed as he was expecting 7 games for $650 and now has 6 games for $650. His parking just got more expensive per game too!

We have a fan base here that bemoans no Blarney Rock in October (to jump over the rats). Don't think NYC should be a bridge too far.
Eh, hoops and football are different animals.

I just think it’s dumb. Yankee Stadium stinks and football in baseball stadiums stinks. The Cross Bronx and Major Deegan are two of the circles of hell.

If we wanted to work with Pitt to make a game neutral that’s one thing, but selling it off to the Yankees is another. We’re not in the Big East anymore. If we need the money we have big problems, IMHO.

So why not sell three of them off? Four?

I really want to hear what the financial upside is here. If it’s not something that blows you away, it’s a terrible decision.

We should have the players attended classes in Mahattan (or remotely in NJ), then play all home games at Metlife. It would help recruiting and make us more money. Win win.

I don't know how ticket prices came up but as the OP my point was that SU having no 7 home game schedules for 6 years is ludicrous. If they want to move the PItt game for a big pay day I don't have an issue but you can't then have 24, 25, 26, 27 all be 6 game home schedules as well.

Eh, hoops and football are different animals.

I just think it’s dumb. Yankee Stadium stinks and football in baseball stadiums stinks. The Cross Bronx and Major Deegan are two of the circles of hell.

If we wanted to work with Pitt to make a game neutral that’s one thing, but selling it off to the Yankees is another. We’re not in the Big East anymore. If we need the money we have big problems, IMHO.

That's a diff argument and I agree. Yankee Stadium blowwwws for football. That's definitely a yuck factor to this. However, if the game was in a real football stadium i'd complain less especially since it's a November game when the attendance peeters out anyway (usually due to the performance on the field and lack of interest).

I've gone to the Ireland game for the ND/Navy and BC/Tech games. It's a fantastic take. Someone with a historical wink and a nod should have considered SU/ND for the Ireland game to have the Orange vs the Irish. It's a fantastic event and worthy of a loss of a home game for sure (since it's usually played in August when it's splendid in Dublin at the Aviva)

That's a diff argument and I agree. Yankee Stadium blowwwws for football. That's definitely a yuck factor to this. However, if the game was in a real football stadium i'd complain less especially since it's a November game when the attendance peeters out anyway (usually due to the performance on the field and lack of interest).

I've gone to the Ireland game for the ND/Navy and BC/Tech games. It's a fantastic take. Someone with a historical wink and a nod should have considered SU/ND for the Ireland game to have the Orange vs the Irish. It's a fantastic event and worthy of a loss of a home game for sure (since it's usually played in August when it's splendid in Dublin at the Aviva)
It's funny because back in the day, November is when our attendance peaked. Granted that was when we were good.

But if people check out our game-by-game attendance in the 90s they'll see that our top games were November tilts with BC, Pitt, WVU and Miami.

Times have changed, obviously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom