I love the off season banter with regard to transfers coming and going, coordinators leaving | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

I love the off season banter with regard to transfers coming and going, coordinators leaving

Clemson lost both coordinators 2 years ago. Both up to HC but still, coaches move.

TCU lost their OC to a lateral move yesterday.

Those teams were experiencing the top of the mountain. TCU will never see another championship game, in all likelihood. So of course that guy is going to take another job. The iron will never be hotter.

Same thing with Clemson coming off a national championship. Of course their coordinators are going to get offers to head their own programs. Of course they're going to move.

You've said it can't be Alabama or Georgia and it has to be TOP assistants, whatever that means. You're literally trying to frame your argument to deny that this happens everywhere to everyone.

Why don't you go look up for us how many other of the 130 teams in the Bowl division lost both coordinators since the season ended? Why don't you go look up how many times it has happened in the last 5 or 10 years, if the head coach isn't being fired?

"Top Assistants" isn't hard for people to understand - your coordinators, your best recruiter(s), maybe your QB coach. Those are your TOP ASSISTANTS.

Teams who win championships often have coordinators leave to become head coaches elsewhere. That is the nature of things. That's what everyone is referring to, which you seem to have such difficulty understanding. You win a championship, you go get a better job. You get a promotion, you get a raise.

We have NOT been winning championships. That's the freaking point. We seem to be getting cleaned out of assistants this off season.

You seem to want to disagree just to be disagreeable, but you can't bother to hit the Google Machine to prove your point. It's all just too much work to back up your opinion, I guess.

Losing 2 all conference caliber starters to big schools and pulling in 2 RF’s that were well recruited but haven’t played from big schools isn’t the same thing.

Yes, but it's better than plugging in 2 3-star high school kids, isn't it? At least they were ranked highly and recruited to better schools out of HS. That says something to their measurables (at a minimum) and their upside.

I agree and I think people are missing the bigger threat..that the football focused schools tell the schedule filling league partners who eat up TV money, to ride on. We will figure out our place and how to survive, my belief is that it will be in a totally different stream than the 30-40 big spenders.

While I sort of agree with this, will fans really care about college football if there are only 30 or 40 teams? That's like having an NCAA tournament only among P-5 schools. It would change the very nature of its appeal.

if the NCAA doesn't come in and make some significant changes it WILL become the new normal, but we'll lose so many interested fans that we won't be discussing it because we'll be off to other pursuits or as chip says above finding a better hobby. In my case more hs, div. 3, FCS games without the wholesale dedication to all things SU, and the big huge financial committment associated with it all.

Now I hope, truly hope that the glass half full views that what we get through the portal back are true and those kids work out to keep us at the level we currently are right now at a min. But to go glass half empty again, what's to stop those players (once they get established/good here as "star" players) from Portaling out themselves for bigger $/fame/name schools? This will most definitely happen if unless the NCAA does as I say above and reign in the insanity as it currently stands. As bagger said it's a time of transition and remains to be seen.

But as for anomander hes appropriately looking at things as they are NOW, today. Think he's just thinking ahead, and the reality of the current situation (and life in general as we all follow the better $ trail when we can) suggests he isnt wrong. At all.

The problem with "hope" about the new reality is just look at what they did to the whole bowl system. Nobody watches anymore. I haven't watch a New Year's Day bowl game since literally they moved the National Championship game to the weekend after New Years. I'll bet I'm far from the only one - except degenerate gamblers, of which many are football fans - who really cares about 90% of the bowls now.

Why don't you go look up for us how many other of the 130 teams in the Bowl division lost both coordinators since the season ended? Why don't you go look up how many times it has happened in the last 5 or 10 years, if the head coach isn't being fired?

"Top Assistants" isn't hard for people to understand - your coordinators, your best recruiter(s), maybe your QB coach. Those are your TOP ASSISTANTS.

Teams who win championships often have coordinators leave to become head coaches elsewhere. That is the nature of things. That's what everyone is referring to, which you seem to have such difficulty understanding. You win a championship, you go get a better job. You get a promotion, you get a raise.

We have NOT been winning championships. That's the freaking point. We seem to be getting cleaned out of assistants this off season.

You seem to want to disagree just to be disagreeable, but you can't bother to hit the Google Machine to prove your point. It's all just too much work to back up your opinion, I guess.
So it's my responsibility to supply information because other posters tell me to?

I believe in every word I post here. There are also words I feel strongly about right now that I cannot post because they will get me banned.

The problem with "hope" about the new reality is just look at what they did to the whole bowl system. Nobody watches anymore. I haven't watch a New Year's Day bowl game since literally they moved the National Championship game to the weekend after New Years. I'll bet I'm far from the only one - except degenerate gamblers, of which many are football fans - who really cares about 90% of the bowls now.

So you are a jerk to a poster about not providing the research and then you go and make a post that’s not factually correct. And let me say, was also pretty easy to look up in the google machine. Was actually the first article that popped up.

So it's my responsibility to supply information because other posters tell me to?

I believe in every word I post here. There are also words I feel strongly about right now that I cannot post because they will get me banned.
People just cant get too attached to these coaches. They come and go no matter the record or program status. I almost expect at least one coach to leave each year. Im surprised when there isnt a departure.

"Every school" loses both coordinators plus 2 or 3 other guys after their first winning season in 4 years? Maybe when you're Alabama or some big time school where you win 10 games every year.

But why are guys (who mostly can't recruit ...), who coach for a team that has only 2 winning seasons in about the last 10 years, such hot targets as coaches?
good question. Two possible answers. One they don't feel secure in their current boss being retained. Two they got better offers.

Yes, but it's better than plugging in 2 3-star high school kids, isn't it? At least they were ranked highly and recruited to better schools out of HS. That says something to their measurables (at a minimum) and their upside.
It’s better than nothing yes but we’re literally making false equivalences just to make ourselves feel better.

"Every school" loses both coordinators plus 2 or 3 other guys after their first winning season in 4 years? Maybe when you're Alabama or some big time school where you win 10 games every year.

But why are guys (who mostly can't recruit ...), who coach for a team that has only 2 winning seasons in about the last 10 years, such hot targets as coaches?
Because nuance matters? How many times do I have to repeat that Anae was not a long timer? That White and Monroe had been targeted before and we had retained them? But that both left for specific reasons?

Look, no one wants to lose good coaches. But it happens. To every program almost every year. Maybe next year we won’t lose any. Who knows?

I think its tough because we are lined up for a big year next season its backloaded again with an easier ACC stretch. Departures just give me pause that things could go very much south and last years team that was 6-0 and up on Clemson at their place in the 4th had no seniors out of eligibility.

Also long term having starters leave for Ohio St and LSU is worst case scenario stuff for us it never used to happen.

No reason to give up on next season and hopefully we get ranked and are relevant at some point like this past year.

While I sort of agree with this, will fans really care about college football if there are only 30 or 40 teams? That's like having an NCAA tournament only among P-5 schools. It would change the very nature of its appeal.
It's hilarious you post this take with an EPL avatar

I think that education matters more to football players and their families than it does for basketball players, who all think they're going pro.

Football families are maybe more in touch with the long odds of ever becoming a pro, and it's not like there are 30 other countries you can go play overseas and still make a nice living, like you can do with basketball.

I would take an SU degree over Wake, NC State, Va. Tech Pitt, Clemson, Miami. We're about on par with BC and Georgia Tech, and a step below UNC, UVa and Duke.

So that's one thing going for Syracuse, and it's something I get the sense that Dino sells pretty well, having all the data about successful Syracuse grads who are captains of industry in the recruit's local area.

Of course we play in a Dome, and with the new lights, let me tell you, it looks cool as hell, both in person and on TV. The fans for the early portion of the season were the best I've seen in 20 years. We had back to back sell-outs, and left announcers deaf and speechless. Fans here proved, yet again, that they will support a winning team.

The facilities are in the middle of a huge upgrade, and are really getting there, from what we have been seeing.

The worst thing happening to Syracuse right now is the fact that ESPN is not paying the league fair market value compared to other P5 leagues, and they are undermining the stability of their own product.
I’m not sure you know the quality of the degree from most of these schools. SU is ranked like 70 and BC is top 15. Wake and Pitt are also excellent schools. We are maybe in the middle of the ACC and I don’t think even that.

*edit: Found this. Says we are tied with Pitt at 62. BC is 35. We are better ranked than 3 schools in the ACC.

Last edited:
Coaches leave all the time, the important thing is to close gaps and weaknesses with our program. Recruiting in general has been at or below average (likely closer to below). We need proven recruiters. Every coach coming in must have a track record. I’m not married to any assistant. I liked swag’s online presence even though I had no idea what he was tweeting most of the time, but there are folks better than he was. We need to find them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom