I love the off season banter with regard to transfers coming and going, coordinators leaving | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

I love the off season banter with regard to transfers coming and going, coordinators leaving

I'm only adding this because it's topical, not because I'm trying to dig a heel in.

nope, all good. it's fair. i said what i said.

anyways, after thinking about it more, i came back to say later on in another post that "it's one thing when a program that is reeling off conference and national titles left and right loses assistants. That's to be expected."

Forget Anae, he was a hired gun who was never going to spend more than a season (mayyyyyybe 2) here. We replaced him with Beck, who has precisely the kind of resume you want as a replacement.

People have said, repeatedly, that White and Monroe have had offers in the past and we managed to retain them. That won't last forever.

We replaced White with the guy who literally designed the D that he ran. Seems like an incredible bit of coach recruiting to me.

Monroe? Who knows, we'll get someone.

I just don't see the calamity some people do. We are Syracuse, this happens, has always happened, and will continue to happen.

I'm perfectly fine with the OC and DC backfill. We just reversed it a bit where we went from protege to mentor on one side and mentor to protege on the other.

We lost two DBs to big schools, but brought in 2 DBs from big schools.

We lost Alford, but brought in... uh, Alford.

Monroe is the only net loss at the moment but we'll find someone who can do the job and connect with recruits. This industry is loaded with them.

We're a mediocre P5 program who can compete with everyone in our conference (might have an FSU issue, but that's one team). It's who we are now, and it's fine. People should find peace with it. It can't be worth smashing your keyboard over.

If you are constantly defending your take to people about your posts it tells me you like to say things that entices a response. Thats my opinion.
Well you couldn’t be more wrong fwiw. I could care less about posting things for “attention”. I’m constantly defending my take because people are saying basically the same things just not in the same words. I’m also posting the same thing because I really care about the program and I can see the writing on the wall. I also don’t appreciate the “sneering” responses certain posters love to reply with (Everyone knows who) .So they get that same energy.

I'm perfectly fine with the OC and DC backfill. We just reversed it a bit where we went from protege to mentor on one side and mentor to protege on the other.

We lost two DBs to big schools, but brought in 2 DBs from big schools.

We lost Alford, but brought in... uh, Alford.

Monroe is the only net loss at the moment but we'll find someone who can do the job and connect with recruits. This industry is loaded with them.

We're a mediocre P5 program who can compete with everyone in our conference (might have an FSU issue, but that's one team). It's who we are now, and it's fine. People should find peace with it. It can't be worth smashing your keyboard over.
Losing 2 all conference caliber starters to big schools and pulling in 2 RF’s that were well recruited but haven’t played from big schools isn’t the same thing.

If you are constantly defending your take to people about your posts it tells me you like to say things that entices a response. Thats my opinion.
He used to be an informative poster, lately, all he has become is gloom and doom.
Through all the ups and downs, it takes a few years, at least 6 or 7 to acknowledge where we are.
It took guite a while with Ben, then almost 15 years before Mac got us back.
We seem to be in another one of those moments. Next year should be a good year, then we can decide.
Really believe Beck is the next great coach, young enough to be around for awhile.

There was a fundamental shift in NCAA football about 10 years or so ago when the SEC started to distance itself from everyone else.

There's now a new fundamental shift where the B1G is also distancing itself from the rest of the pack, while trying to keep up with the SEC. That's been evolving as they've always had OSU/Michigan and a sprinkling of others at the top which were playoff teams, but it seems now with the heavier annual revenue share they have that it's permeating down into the B1G schools that were always peer level to Syracuse. To lose assistants that we wanted to retain to Minnesota and Nebraska which aren't elite B1G programs isn't a good look.

I've not seen the definitive reason but $$ seems to be consistently be thrown around as major drivers for both White and Monroe departing for lateral moves.

Monroe is from Minnesota. His dad coached there and more importantly both his parents are alive and still live there.

Most any normal person makes that move.

Well you couldn’t be more wrong fwiw. I could care less about posting things for “attention”. I’m constantly defending my take because people are saying basically the same things just not in the same words. I’m also posting the same thing because I really care about the program and I can see the writing on the wall. I also don’t appreciate the “sneering” responses certain posters love to reply with (Everyone knows who) .So they get that same energy.
People are not here just to hang out. They are here to have reasonable discussions despite being a fan of a team that has been one of the worse p5 teams for 20 years. They are here despite the record. No matter how bad things are. You seem to have a problem with that. As if everyone here is insane to be following Cuse and having discussions about them.

He used to be an informative poster, lately, all he has become is gloom and doom.
Through all the ups and downs, it takes a few years, at least 6 or 7 to acknowledge where we are.
It took guite a while with Ben, then almost 15 years before Mac got us back.
We seem to be in another one of those moments. Next year should be a good year, then we can decide.
Really believe Beck is the next great coach, young enough to be around for awhile.
Do you think the circumstances are the same way back when Ben was here, or even Mac? It’s a totally different world and if you’re not in the club you’re not coming back. I wouldn’t think it would take a couple years of this to see what’s coming.

As soon as there is something positive to post about i’m sure I will. Then again I was too positive when we were 6-0 and about to be 7-0 so I guess people just like to disagree unless you’re in that club too.

People are not here just to hang out. They are here to have reasonable discussions despite being a fan of a team that has been one of the worse p5 teams for 20 years. They are here despite the record. No matter how bad things are. You seem to have a problem with that. As if everyone here is insane to be following Cuse and having discussions about them.
You’re talking to someone who has been here for 10+ years despite all of the bad things you stated. I’ve endured all that despite frustration but always with a glimmer of hope that we can catch lightning in a bottle and turn things around. Have you noticed me over those 10+ years as an overly negative poster? Maybe my tone changed because the landscape has now changed and I can’t for the life of me seeing how we maintain even that glimmer of hope. You say people are not here to just hang out, but to have reasonable discussion, but it seems to me you only prefer discussion that is tainted with orange colored glasses.

Strange after reading most of your posts and others in this thread who actually have an idea of the current landscape it's almost as if you agree with me but since I'm actually saying it I'm the bad guy?

I’ve posted on here for over 10 years. Probably too much at times. I wouldn't consider myself a “Doom and gloom” poster. Sure I'm critical at times but I call it like I see it and don't sugar coat it. What is happening right now is not about Nick Monroe, or any specific player/coach. I think it's a pretty easy analysis to make that this is just the beginning of things exploding outside of Syracuse’s control and will only continue getting worse for a program that has already experienced 20+ years of “doom and gloom”. For a school that has historically had a hard time finding and developing more than 4-5 extremely talented athletes we are now going to have to deal with our best players being picked off before they reach the upperclassmen level which we need to compete. If you or anyone else thinks we are going to consistently fill the holes these players and coaches leave on an annual basis then you’re just lying to yourself. We aren’t TCU replacing their OC with another proven and successful OC, and we certainly aren’t Georgia or Alabama who can deal with several coaches and players leaving early since they have an abundance of it. The separation has started and is now in full swing…..but I think you know that already.
There are too many posters here with orange colored glasses to realize this.

There are too many posters here with orange colored glasses to realize this.
I disagree, I believe it’s ok to be optimistic and you can have positive outlook without pulling a “Rutgers Al” . I have been a fan/ season ticket holder since the late 60s. I can’t find the enjoyment in the “ We suck and will never be good outlook”. So I will continue to put a positive foot forward, remember we were 6-0 and beating Clemson at one point. Didn’t end the way I wanted but I had a shitload of fun in September and October!!! Looking for even better year in 23.

, but it seems to me you only prefer discussion that is tainted with orange colored glasses.
You make comments like this when people don’t agree with your take. Please tell me within the last 10 years when Ive only responded with Orange colored glasses?

Even if I was that type of fan. Why would it bother you so much?

Last edited:
I disagree, I believe it’s ok to be optimistic and you can have positive outlook without pulling a “Rutgers Al” . I have been a fan/ season ticket holder since the late 60s. I can’t find the enjoyment in the “ We suck and will never be good outlook”. So I will continue to put a positive foot forward, remember we were 6-0 and beating Clemson at one point. Didn’t end the way I wanted but I had a shitload of fun in September and October!!! Looking for even better year in 23.
I’ve seen no RutgersAl type posters in this forum. Even some of the most optimistic fans on here have been critical at times.

I’m not saying the same thing as you using different words. I’m saying much different things than you are with different words. If you can’t distinguish that then I don’t know what to do. I’ve been as clear as possible, and it seems like everyone else here understands it.

anomander My take on your posts is essentially “Everything has changed and SU will, with certainty, be much worse off because of it”. Maybe I’m misinterpreting you, but that’s what I hear

I’m saying that *some* things have changed, some haven’t, and we really don’t know how
SU is going to net out when the system stabilizes. The portal may actually be a net positive for us, even though we’ll deal with some losses that are frustrating.

You make comments like this when people don’t agree with your take. Please tell me within the last 10 years when Ive only responded with Orange colored glasses?

Even if I was that type of fan. Why would it bother you so much?
Strange that you only take that sentence from my entire post. Maybe I made that comment because any time you respond to me or make a post referring to me it is when I am critical on the outlook for the program. The same people respond to me the same way just taking the other view point.

As far as only posting through Orange colored glasses it’s because I’m sick of it after 20 years of ineptitude and the playing field just got exponentially harder, and is stacked even more against us, or do you disagree? Just writing hopeful things for the sake of being liked is just fake and I’d rather not waste my time. To a lot of people that is just as annoying as those who are being critical. It just shows that you know what’s in store but just want to give people a hard time for expressing it.

Monroe is from Minnesota. His dad coached there and more importantly both his parents are alive and still live there.

Most any normal person makes that move.

Especially when it also likely includes a massive raise along with it.

Swag Daddy was here for 7 years, and with Dino for 12.

There are very few opportunities that woulda made him jump, but this was a no-brainer for him, and I’m 144% at peace with it, due to his family connections to that job and area.

Nobody can fault him for saying yes to this offer.

You’re talking to someone who has been here for 10+ years despite all of the bad things you stated. I’ve endured all that despite frustration but always with a glimmer of hope that we can catch lightning in a bottle and turn things around. Have you noticed me over those 10+ years as an overly negative poster? Maybe my tone changed because the landscape has now changed and I can’t for the life of me seeing how we maintain even that glimmer of hope. You say people are not here to just hang out, but to have reasonable discussion, but it seems to me you only prefer discussion that is tainted with orange colored glasses.
Lighten up the landscape has changed constantly since I first started following Syracuse Sports in the 50's. Somehow Syracuse Football and Basketball and other sports have survived.
We will survive this shift too, eventually with the one time transfer great players will start leaving the big programs, because they want to play.
The days of Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, and other powerhouses having beyond the top 40 being all star players will be over.
Kids want to play and believe they can be stars, they aren't going to sit at these powerhouses anymore.

Strange that you only take that sentence from my entire post. Maybe I made that comment because any time you respond to me or make a post referring to me it is when I am critical on the outlook for the program. The same people respond to me the same way just taking the other view point.

As far as only posting through Orange colored glasses it’s because I’m sick of it after 20 years of ineptitude and the playing field just got exponentially harder, and is stacked even more against us, or do you disagree? Just writing hopeful things for the sake of being liked is just fake and I’d rather not waste my time. To a lot of people that is just as annoying as those who are being critical. It just shows that you know what’s in store but just want to give people a hard time for expressing it.
I get it, you dont like the team and the direction. Why come to a forum judging people that continue to talk about the positives and the negatives?. I wanted DIno fired last year. Does that mean I have to come on the forum judging people for liking him? Its not my job to change their level of optimism and why would I want to? Its their own thought and mindset. It should bother you that much. Nothing we say on here is going to change the outcome of games or make the admins fire Dino anyways. Dont throw all your frustrations on fans. Its not their fault the team you follow doesnt win enough games for you

Last edited:
I get it, you dont like the team and the direction. Why come to a forum judging people that continue to talk about the positives and the negatives?. I wanted DIno fired last year. Does that mean I have to come on the forum judging people for liking him? Its not my job to change their level of optimism and why would I want to? Its their own thought and mindset. It should bother you that much. Nothing we say on here is going to change the outcome of games or make the admins fire Dino anyways. Dont throw all your frustrations on fans. Its not their fault.
That's my whole point I don't mind Dino nor want him fired. I also really like the team. We have more question marks now and not the amount of veteran leadership which good teams of ours in the past typically had, so now that is reduced , but imo Long and Beck were the right moves. My concern is with the future of the program and how we stay competitive. Kids see where Had and Duce went. Unfortunately I don't think there are a lot of Zaire Franklin’s, or Mikel Jones who will stay for far less money. My favorite part of being a college football fan is watching the recruiting process from start to finish. Watching those guys develop as young guys and then eventually turn into team leaders as upperclassmen. I'm just positive, just like college hoops who I stopped watching years ago, that the same fate is happening now to CFB just in a far more drastic and dirty way and that sucks because there was nothing I loved more than going to the Dome in the late 80’s - 00’s and watching SU play meaningful games.
So after all that it doesn't seem like you understood what I have been posting about this whole time.

Last edited:
That's my whole point I don't mind Dino nor want him fired. I also really like the team. We have more question marks now and not the amount of veteran leadership which good teams of ours in the past typically had is reduced , but imo Long and Beck were the right moves. My concern is with the future of the program and how we stay competitive. Kids see where Had and Duce went. Unfortunately I don't think there are a lot of Zaire Franklin’s, or Mikel Jones who will stay for far less money. My favorite part of being a college football fan is watching the recruiting process from start to finish. Watching those guys develop as young guys and then eventually turn into team leaders as upperclassmen. I'm just positive, just like college hoops who I stopped watching years ago, that the same fate is happening now to CFB just in a far more drastic and dirty way and that sucks because there was nothing I loved more than going to the Dome in the late 80’s - 00’s and watching SU play meaningful games.
So after all that it doesn't seem like you understood what I have been posting about this whole time.
You made fair points and I share the same thoughts. I understand you. I just dont choose to judge people that have different feelings than I do.

This environment is tough, but in the past two years we’ve gotten more four star players from the portal than we did recruiting in the past ten years. The two lineman we picked up appear to be better than what we recruited. If this weekend’s quarterback visit goes well, we will have picked up three four star quarterbacks in the past two plus years from the portal. We’ve never had three four star quarterbacks on the roster at one time. For years our assistants went nowhere unless they were let go. Now opposing teams covet them. I look at all of this as being positive and encouraging. I’m disappointed we lost a couple of players and coaches, but I think our coordinators are better and we have a chance to find two assistants that might have great recruiting contacts. At SU, you have to coach kids up, so Dino’s hires are really important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom