I really like this new approach of finding a guy who can throw and letting him do that | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I really like this new approach of finding a guy who can throw and letting him do that

I think people are under appreciating how good McCord has been. I think a guy like Hartman would have us 3-3 right now, and getting a guy like Hartman isn't easy.
And we would be 2-4 with a guy who throws
wounded ducks.

Last edited:
25 years of warnings about northeastern gym coaches and Chuck and duck and run and stop the run from guys in Charles Way jerseys with lipitor drips notwithstanding, this newfangled approach of finding qbs who can throw better than they can run and letting them do that seems to be working

If Brown has told us this what he was going to do, i'd have been on board

I still didn't think he's great at a lot of the small details but I'm not that fussy. This stupid sport destroys brains and creates a self contained perpetual terrarium ecosystem of brain damaged future coaches so you didn't have to be great, you just have to be less stupid

I will take this all back if he wrings his hands about balance
350 & 50 is the new 200 & 200.

McCord has a ton of good traits but for me his best is making good reads quickly.
Next year's QB coach will probably be nearly as important as next year's QB.

Really don't need a great QB coach with Kyle.

Gonna need a great one next year with whomever the QB is.

Kyle seems to be doing okay...
Screenshot_20241014_132227_Chrome.jpg

Agreed. But the reality is Brennan = Nassib. Haven’t had a lot of them. Portal changes everything, IMo
We haven't but that's because we loved the dual threats who can't throw.

I hope we see the opportunity here but Big Lipitor is on a misinformation campaign comparing McCord to Brady and Mahomes

I think people are under appreciating how good McCord has been. I think a guy like Hartman would have us 3-3 right now, and getting a guy like Hartman isn't easy.
Harman's first senior year 63% 308 ypg 3.2 td 1 int per game

McCord 360 ypg 3.2 td 1 int

We throw a lot more than them

I hope we see the opportunity here but Big Lipitor is on a misinformation campaign comparing McCord to Brady and Mahomes
Who are you referring to here?

Everyone smooching Milly’s butt and fundamentally, he was still off.

Nobody could spin it like Devito. But he couldn’t make a read, feel pressure, avoid, tripping over his own feet, etc. McCords pocket presense and read making (he still misses his fair share) are second to none. The fact he can spin it some helps, but he’s not an elite arm talent.

#4 is how Marrone’s last season was so good. He schemed guys open constantly.
I'm off because Devito was bad?

As much as I wanted to throw it, I begged for shrader.

I bet Babers wanted to throw a lot more, Devito was just an unfortunate bet that cost him dearly

His arm really hurt us in a way, that temptation to hope he would someday learn to not eat the ball so much...

But we had way more dual that swings and misses

Agreed. But the reality is Brennan = Nassib. Haven’t had a lot of them. Portal changes everything, IMo

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. If we are lucky enough to get a HS kid that has a big Frosh or Soph year, it will be very difficult to keep him. But on the other hand we can get a JR or SR out of the portal that we likely would not have been able to get as a HS kid.

I suppose that getting a proven xfer is more likely than getting a diamond in the rough. So it will be a net positive. But having a McNabb won't likely happen again here. Being that was over 25 years ago, the risk is small.

I appreciate the (somewhat long-winded &) humorous approach to suggesting that McCord is not special.
I think he is and replacing him will be nearly impossible. In other words, what we are doing right now on offense is not sustainable without a special talent.
This isn't a system - it's a smart approach to making the most of what this particular roster offers.

I'm off because Devito was bad?

As much as I wanted to throw it, I begged for shrader.

I bet Babers wanted to throw a lot more, Devito was just an unfortunate bet that cost him dearly

His arm really hurt us in a way, that temptation to hope he would someday learn to not eat the ball so much...

But we had way more dual that swings and misses
McCord would have been the answer to Dino's dream QB. Remember his success at Bowling Green with the guy they called the Fat Pirate?

Harman's first senior year 63% 308 ypg 3.2 td 1 int per game

McCord 360 ypg 3.2 td 1 int

We throw a lot more than them

That was also his first season over 60% passing. Also are we always going to have an experienced upperclassman at QB?

I am not saying we cannot put up big passing numbers, we can. Heck, we did it with Mahoney at QB. But that doesn't simply mean we also get Ws. Some of what McCord is doing out there, Hartman cannot do. That IMO is the difference between being 5-1 and 3-3 right now.

The more you pass the better QB you can recruit which means the better receivers you can recruit. We can be right there getting another good QB in portal with McCords season this year. There's a pretty direct correlation with having a good passing offense and winning. Take FSU for example. 90% of their problems would probably go away if they had a decent throwing QB. Instead they went dual thread wounded duck guy.

I appreciate the (somewhat long-winded &) humorous approach to suggesting that McCord is not special.
I think he is and replacing him will be nearly impossible. In other words, what we are doing right now on offense is not sustainable without a special talent.
This isn't a system - it's a smart approach to making the most of what this particular roster offers.

We also need to replace OG and Meeks.

On top of that how long does Nixon stay? If he has continued success it will be hard for SU to keep him. Keeping coaches IMO is the bigger i$$ue with the B1G/SEC money gap.

McCord would have been the answer to Dino's dream QB. Remember his success at Bowling Green with the guy they called the Fat Pirate?
I really wish things had gone better for Dino at QB. That's the name of the game and if Brown gets me QBs and commits to throwing it a lot, I'm good

The more you pass the better QB you can recruit which means the better receivers you can recruit. We can be right there getting another good QB in portal with McCords season this year. There's a pretty direct correlation with having a good passing offense and winning. Take FSU for example. 90% of their problems would probably go away if they had a decent throwing QB. Instead they went dual thread wounded duck guy.

That didn't happen when Dino was here. He had 2016, 2017, 2018 to sell to WR recruits and we got nothing to show for it. Our group was actually below average somehow.

That was also his first season over 60% passing. Also are we always going to have an experienced upperclassman at QB?

I am not saying we cannot put up big passing numbers, we can. Heck, we did it with Mahoney at QB. But that doesn't simply mean we also get Ws. Some of what McCord is doing out there, Hartman cannot do. That IMO is the difference between being 5-1 and 3-3 right now.
Hartman lead Wake to 8 and 11 wins as a full season starter. They were 4th in the country in scoring with him as QB before he transferred to ND. You're vastly underrating him. He likely would have lead them to additional 8 and 9 win seasons had he not got injured two years in a row. They also had John Wolford before him who was just as good.

It would be interesting to see the way Meeks is playing if the main group ended up Pena/OG/Meeks/Haynes. That may have ended up being our toughest 4 to defend.

Hartman lead Wake to 8 and 11 wins as a full season starter. They were 4th in the country in scoring with him as QB before he transferred to ND. You're vastly underrating him. He likely would have lead them to additional 8 and 9 win seasons had he not got injured two years in a row. They also had John Wolford before him who was just as good.
The Wake slow mesh system creates huge throwing windows. And then he went to ND and it was much harder for him to stretch the field. He relied on the 50/50 deep balls and when that dried up he struggled,

The Wake slow mesh system creates huge throwing windows. And then he went to ND and it was much harder for him to stretch the field. He relied on the 50/50 deep balls and when that dried up he struggled,
If struggling is completing 64% of your passes with 24 td's to 8int's I would take that. That's friggin run and shoot numbers for Syracuse. They were 7th in the country in scoring. This year they are 27th without him.

You're getting pretty fussy
Sam Hartman was good
His teams did well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors