I really think the standing and clapping hurts us sometimes... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I really think the standing and clapping hurts us sometimes...

I would love if after every Fab Melo basket the student section just erupted in "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!"
He should also run back on defense looking like an airplane, and occasionally pull his jersey over his head and knee slide into the basketball supports.

He should also run back on defense looking like an airplane, and occasionally pull his jersey over his head and knee slide into the basketball supports.
YES! Though only after he gets the bucket on an and one.

Seriously, where's Dan? He needs to get the students to do this

Whether people want to hear it or not... it definitely helps the opposing defense. If you are an opposing team playing us in the dome and its been 5+ minutes of gametime and you hear the crowd still clapping, that means you are shutting them out and the applause is just a reminder of that momentum.

I agree they should be focused but they are also 17-22 year old kids and the constant clapping reminds them that they haven't scored a basket yet.

I hope you're not serious. (1) the idea that they really "hear" or care about the standing and clapping is silly and (2) the idea that they aren't going to be pressing for a first FG when they are 4-5 minutes into the start of the half without one regardless of whether the fans are standing and clapping is also silly.

I hope you're not serious. (1) the idea that they really "hear" or care about the standing and clapping is silly and (2) the idea that they aren't going to be pressing for a first FG when they are 4-5 minutes into the start of the half without one regardless of whether the fans are standing and clapping is also silly.

Yes I am serious and these are kids not machines. Don't make this a hyperbole and each kid is different regarding what effects them and what doesn't.

Whether people want to hear it or not... it definitely helps the opposing defense. If you are an opposing team playing us in the dome and its been 5+ minutes of gametime and you hear the crowd still clapping, that means you are shutting them out and the applause is just a reminder of that momentum.

Because teams shut us out for 5+ minutes all the time.

Psst, the players could give 2 stuffs if we're standing and clapping. On either team. Any more than waving ur arms like a jackass impacts free throw shooting, or yelling at the refs from section 309 is gonna get us a call.

It's just silly crowd fun. The players hear us when we're rowdy, don't when we're not. They don't really notice what we are doing.

I do enjoy ridiculous theories like this though. Next up: is the wave hurting our 3pt shooting? Thoughts?

I can't remember exactly how it went but does the student section do the tradition when the opposing players are announced?

Who's He...
So What...
Can't remember what the others were
Big $*%#

Psst, the players could give 2 stuffs if we're standing and clapping. On either team. Any more than waving ur arms like a jackass impacts free throw shooting, or yelling at the refs from section 309 is gonna get us a call.

It's just silly crowd fun. The players hear us when we're rowdy, don't when we're not. They don't really notice what we are doing.

I do enjoy ridiculous theories like this though. Next up: is the wave hurting our 3pt shooting? Thoughts?

And the hyperbole is continued. It's not like you screaming and spilling your beer in section 309 or the wave. Again ask the players themselves and I've talked to some former players and they have actually heard it and know what's going on. But please, continue the assumptions and hyperboles by all means.

And the hyperbole is continued. It's not like you screaming and spilling your beer in section 309 or the wave. Again ask the players themselves and I've talked to some former players and they have actually heard it and know what's going on. But please, continue the assumptions and hyperboles by all means.

They may have told you that, but if the team has gone an extended period of time without scoring from the field do you really think they don't already realize that they haven't scored and are pressing (or not) because of the direction the game is headed as opposed to because the fans are standing and clapping. If the standing and clapping impacts their play god help them when they go to play Pitt at Petersen and have to face a crowd that is truly going to try to effect their concentration.

They may have told you that, but if the team has gone an extended period of time without scoring from the field do you really think they don't already realize that they haven't scored and are pressing (or not) because of the direction the game is headed as opposed to because the fans are standing and clapping. If the standing and clapping impacts their play god help them when they go to play Pitt at Petersen and have to face a crowd that is truly going to try to effect their concentration.

I do understand where you're coming from in this and all I'm saying that it is a constant reminder they haven't scored a basket. I'm not against the tradition or did the players say they wanted it stopped just commenting on it not being so black and white like some have suggested.

On a tangent... the one thing I dislike about the clapping the most is that it is impossible to keep in sync and starts sounding like frustrated clapping after a minute or two.

On a tangent... the one thing I dislike about the clapping the most is that it is impossible to keep in sync and starts sounding like frustrated clapping after a minute or two.

Following your tangent. I think it is ok when the bucket comes in the opening 90 seconds...when it goes any longer than that it really looks stupid because the fans don't execute it well beyond that length of time, but unfortunately as someone else said we really don't have much in the way of traditions other than that.

If only they would let the crowd go back to throwing oranges at opponents when they are shooting free throws. Now there is a tradition I would embrace.

Following your tangent. I think it is ok when the bucket comes in the opening 90 seconds...when it goes any longer than that it really looks stupid because the fans don't execute it well beyond that length of time, but unfortunately as someone else said we really don't have much in the way of traditions other than that.

If only they would let the crowd go back to throwing oranges at opponents when they are shooting free throws. Now there is a tradition I would embrace.

Like in saving private ewing? He never heard the orange coming until it was too late. (I know it splatted on the back board, just going for some drama) That baby whistled over my right shoulder.

Ha! That's true, we really don't have any other traditions

We like to have our PA announcer talk over the band while they are playing the alma mater.

Not a lot of schools do that.

I agree they should be focused but they are also 17-22 year old kids and the constant clapping reminds them that they haven't scored a basket yet.

With Boeheim standing arm's length from the players, alternately glaring and spewing obscenities at them, I think the clapping crowd is the least of the potential distractions.

I don't think the fans standing and clapping has any impact on what the team does - they probably tune it out as they are focused on the game and I don't think the opposing team gets any boost from us not scoring.

They take forced shots and force bad passes (especially against lesser teams and especially when we have doubled up the opponnent at half time) with out without the constant clap clap in the background.

Seems like everyone has a complaint that the fans do not stand up enough, but now we are worried when they do?

It's a tradition I did when i was a kid and now it's one my son does. I like it, plus it sounds great when there are 30k+ clapping in unison.

Part of the reason (more than clapping) that it took us so long to score is that they were fouling the stuff out of us. I think we went into the bonus at the 16 minute mark. it was ridiculously chippy for a 25 point game.

Thread redeemed

Part of the reason (more than clapping) that it took us so long to score is that they were fouling the stuff out of us. I think we went into the bonus at the 16 minute mark. it was ridiculously chippy for a 25 point game.

We were in the DOUBLE bonus before we even made a basket. Just unreal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom