I really think the standing and clapping hurts us sometimes... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I really think the standing and clapping hurts us sometimes...

With Boeheim standing arm's length from the players, alternately glaring and spewing obscenities at them, I think the clapping crowd is the least of the potential distractions.

Boeheim would never do such a thing. :)

I would love if after every Fab Melo basket the student section just erupted in "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!"
we NEEEEDDDD this to happen

Hell, why not steal the roll call from the Yankees and use that instead (Albeit not while the play is live)
that would be awesome... go thru the lineup 1-5 til they wave LMAO

I started a similar thread last night on this and I was only half joking

I never liked the clapping, I would rather be sitting and jump up stand and clap when they score, then sit down when they score

I would love if after every Fab Melo basket the student section just erupted in "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!"

I approve.

Probably a bit better than the budding tradition of everyone yelling "AH -K!" after a missed free throw in honor of the great Kris Joseph.

I approve.

Probably a bit better than the budding tradition of everyone yelling "AH -K!" after a missed free throw in honor of the great Kris Joseph.

I can't be the only one who enjoyed the hell out of that.

Psst, the players could give 2 stuffs if we're standing and clapping. On either team. Any more than waving ur arms like a jackass impacts free throw shooting, or yelling at the refs from section 309 is gonna get us a call.

It's just silly crowd fun. The players hear us when we're rowdy, don't when we're not. They don't really notice what we are doing.

I do enjoy ridiculous theories like this though. Next up: is the wave hurting our 3pt shooting? Thoughts?
I will have to double check but I am pretty sure I read in one of the PS articles that KJo mentioned it in the huddle during a timeout

yea the players don't notice or care about the standing and clapping:

"As the Orange came out of its huddle, Syracuse senior Kris Joseph whispered to his teammates, “I know these fans are ready to sit down.’’"

another one:

“I felt bad,’’ Syracuse guard Scoop Jardine said. “The ball wasn’t going in.’’

I love the A-F after a Ft. Pretty funny.

Once thing they need to get rid of is the Damn cheerleader Lets-Go-S-U ridiculous chant that they attempt every game. Nothing like the crowd getting rowdy after a 10-0 run only to have to do a fake cheer. I am not making fun of the cheerleaders I am just saying that cheer is beyond weak and needs to stop immediately. Its painful to have to sit through.

I love the A-F after a Ft. Pretty funny.

Once thing they need to get rid of is the Damn cheerleader Lets-Go-S-U ridiculous chant that they attempt every game. Nothing like the crowd getting rowdy after a 10-0 run only to have to do a fake cheer. I am not making fun of the cheerleaders I am just saying that cheer is beyond weak and needs to stop immediately. Its painful to have to sit through.

It's terrible.

I do have to say, i did kind of think about this last night when it took us forever to score to start the half. Probably nothing, but I was thinking it by about the 3-4 min mark.

We should definitely kill the last tiny shred of tradition we have left.

Definitely.

Next we can change the fight song to "New York State of Mind"

Definitely.

well if people were actually into the tradition I would agree, but half the people are just waiting to sit down aka time for it to go

Definitely.

I wasn't saying that. I watched the game last night and thought about it. Then I rewatched the game and it seemed to me to have an impact. So I thought it might be interesting to discuss.

I approve.

So that's what they've been saying. I noticed that during the game on Saturday and last night on TV but had no idea what they were saying. When did this little tradition start? I like.

I wasn't saying that. I watched the game last night and thought about it. Then I rewatched the game and it seemed to me to have an impact. So I thought it might be interesting to discuss.

I know, I'm just riffin'. Discuss away!

People complain that SU doesn't have any traditions, then they want to do away with the few traditions that we do have.

well if people were actually into the tradition I would agree, but half the people are just waiting to sit down aka time for it to go

How about we make a deal, when that half the crowd learns the words to the fight song and alma mater, we can kill the clapping thing?

;)

Yup, the clapping tradition is terrible. I like it much better at other schools when they stand up and clap until the other team scores. That way, the clapping and standing is a good thing, and the crowd excitement naturally grows the longer than the standing/clapping goes on. It's really fun to be up and cheering while your defense is shutting out the other team. It is no fun at all to be up an cheering when your own team is getting shutout.

I hope you're not serious. (1) the idea that they really "hear" or care about the standing and clapping is silly and (2) the idea that they aren't going to be pressing for a first FG when they are 4-5 minutes into the start of the half without one regardless of whether the fans are standing and clapping is also silly.

It's silly to assume that it doesn't negatively affect the players: empiricism shows that crowd support dramatically effects basketball players.

Players are very aware of streaks, crowd support, momentum, etc. By having our fans stand and cheer for as long as our opponent shuts out us, we create crowd support for our opponent. It makes no sense.

What would have been neat is that at the 11 minite mark we still had not scored a basket. Then the majority of the people standing would just have left the game early like they usually do without sitting once during the second half.

Definitely.

And we can replace LGO with "New York's Sport's Team clap clap clap clap New York's Sport's Team"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom