I really thought we were at a stage where | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I really thought we were at a stage where

I think Thompson left because of the injuries and that he knew last year was going to be a tough year.

Slayton is a different situation. If Slayton comes back, we'll have the entire DL returning (hypothetically). That doesn't happen.

The second level is where I worry. Franklin & Bennett have been playing at an extremely high level. I know Fagan was a top recruit, and Henderson is supposed to be pretty good too. Just worried about that unit for next year.

Secondary should be fine. Frederick/Bradshaw/Dowels/Foster/Cordy plus Carl Jones, Devon Clarke if he makes it, plus the true freshmen this year redshirting (Coley/Melifonwu).

Future is bright.

Rodney Williams will be back as well. He has quietly been very good this year. He was outstanding vs Clemson. Even guys who are deep on the depth chart like Cordell Hudson will be back. Granted he hasn't cracked the rotation this year, but he has plenty of experience. DB depth is right where we need it. Being able to absorb Cordy's loss with minimal drop off speaks to that.

I really want to see a handful of JUCO's at the Pierce/Alton Robinson level in this class, specifically at positions of need. We get that, it will really put us in a position to do some damage in the conference next year. DT, DB, maybe an OL as well would be huge.

I agree. The key is at the level of Pierce and Robinson. My opinion of taking these JUCO warm bodies under the last regime was never taken well, but if you are going to hit the JUCO market you better make sure they are going to contribute in year 1 like most of the kids Babers has brought in.

Slayton's having an all ACC calibre year and I expect him to do the same next year.

I dont see him leaving as a junior.

Rodney Williams will be back as well. He has quietly been very good this year. He was outstanding vs Clemson. Even guys who are deep on the depth chart like Cordell Hudson will be back. Granted he hasn't cracked the rotation this year, but he has plenty of experience. DB depth is right where we need it. Being able to absorb Cordy's loss with minimal drop off speaks to that.

I agree. The key is at the level of Pierce and Robinson. My opinion of taking these JUCO warm bodies under the last regime was never taken well, but if you are going to hit the JUCO market you better make sure they are going to contribute in year 1 like most of the kids Babers has brought in.

I think one thing to keep in mind too is that so many of the kids on this team played far earlier than they ever should have. Especially with developmental recruits, the leap between RF to Soph or Soph to Junior can be immense. Rodney Williams is a kid that should have redshirted no question his freshman year and had it not been for an injury he probably would have had a completely wasted year that year. So now he's a 4th year junior instead of graduating.

It will be nice when we get to a point where all the developmental prospects can redshirt and only kids play as true frosh if they can start, or significantly impact the 2 deep or specials.

Guthrie has also made a significant contribution with the DL rotation and depth. Probably not the role he envisioned, but he's been great.

Guthrie has also made a significant contribution with the DL rotation and depth. Probably not the role he envisioned, but he's been great.
Yes. He is likely going to return to LB for next season and I think he is close to a lock to start at one of the outside LB positions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom