I refuse to believ we would have played the G-town and Johnnies | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I refuse to believ we would have played the G-town and Johnnies

The Italian connection was 8-11 from 3 against our zone.

So exactly what did he suck at?
poor substitutions, taking coleman out when he was just getting some confidence and using his strength, not pressing much sooner than he did to energize his team, not getting lydon involved in the second half(i do not think he took a shot in the second half until the 9 min mark), not getting gbinije set up. not getting roberson to go to the hoop rather than taking longer range shots. use howard more---he is getting comfortable---and god forbid not trying m2m when it was obvious johnnies were killing it.---- it was very disheartening. i dunno the team was not ready to play---it did not help that cooney had one of worst games---should kj have played more???i may have tried it, just to settle cooney down---who knows. what we did know was what we were doing was not working

tipphill said:
poor substitutions, taking coleman out when he was just getting some confidence and using his strength, not pressing much sooner than he did to energize his team, not getting lydon involved in the second half(i do not think he took a shot in the second half until the 9 min mark), not getting gbinije set up. not getting roberson to go to the hoop rather than taking longer range shots. use howard more---he is getting comfortable---and god forbid not trying m2m when it was obvious johnnies were killing it.---- it was very disheartening. i dunno the team was not ready to play---it did not help that cooney had one of worst games---should kj have played more???i may have tried it, just to settle cooney down---who knows. what we did know was what we were doing was not working

Sounds like JB.

You could see he was intense on TV. But because we lost everyone has to have their scapegoats. If SJU had stopped making so many deep 3's, people would be saying we made a nice adjustment. If some of our shots fell, people would have said nice adjustments.

It's like JB always says, you have to make shots. Unfortunately we didn't and they did. Hop made an adjustment at halftime to extend the zone far out, still didn't matter. It was SJU's day.

Nail hits head. Good post.

I'm not sure what people expected. Some of the 3s St. John's was hitting were from five feet behind the NBA arc. Could the defense have played better, probably...but the Johnnies were unconscious. And it was our offense that ultimately lost us the game. Coming down the stretch we had a number of possessions where we had the margin at 7 and simply couldn't score.

This was one of those games that begged for us to try something other than zone to try to take St. John's out of its offensive rhythm and that just isn't going to happen while it is JB's team.

The program needs to get out of this mind-set that giving up an open, step-in 24 footer is a good strategy...the wave-by is not a defensive play. This is not 2002 where teams have 1, maybe 2 designated shooters. They are all over the place.

Hopkins will be fine so long as he transitions the program to developing coaching strategies around what the current make-up of the team, and their talents, will allow.

Under no circumstances should we have a scenario where Roberson or Coleman are responsible for flying out to a 3 point shooter who is 23 feet out at the extended elbow

And there should be an offense that does more to create open shots rather than relying on the players' individual talents to create them alone

I was sitting behind the bench. He yelled at players and refs, plenty. Unfortunately, he could not make free throws or layups for them
Can I like this 3 times!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom