I refuse to believ we would have played the G-town and Johnnies | Syracusefan.com

I refuse to believ we would have played the G-town and Johnnies

dasher

Living Legend
games this way if JB was on the sidelines. Hop doesn't have the command that JB does. He isn't going to yell aty players or at refs. Different vibe and it shows.

games this way if JB was on the sidelines. Hop doesn't have the command that JB does. He isn't going to yell aty players or at refs. Different vibe and it shows.
Sorry but totally disagree. We were out manned plain and simple. Can't make layups, can't hit free throws, can't rebound. We are just not good, no need to sugar coat it.

I think you're right. Interim is not the same as HC and this isnt Hop's team. Hopefully when it is, he's much better.

Too much pain too soon to make a good judgement.

Too much pain too soon to make a good judgement.
You still want to criticize my judgment on this team? Forget everything else. If you can't defend the post, you aren't good. and we can't. Can't score down there either.

I saw him tearing a new one into Cooney at some point in the first half. Not sure what you are seeing. Maybe the players realize that Hop is only the man for a couple more games so it.

I dunno Dasher, we lost to St Johns at home last year with JB. And in our prior game at the Verizon Center (2013) I believe we had the worst offensive output of the Boeheim era.

I dunno Dasher, we lost to St Johns at home last year with JB. And in our prior game at the Verizon Center (2013) I believe we had the worst offensive output of the Boeheim era.
I get what your saying but there's no way you can compare last year's St. Johns w this year's - this year's is just a plain bad team that we made look like an effn final four team today

Totally agree, we couldn't run anything that looked like an offense in the first half today. Also, there is no way that JB allows players to miss assignments on defense like they were for most of the game today. It certainly didn't help that we weren't making shots, but Hop was out coached today. St. John's is bad, no excuse to be down around 10 most of the game.

I get what your saying but there's no way you can compare last year's St. Johns w this year's - this year's is just a plain bad team that we made look like an effn final four team today

I'm just not interested in making Hopkins a scapegoat in this loss. This team has major flaws that aren't his fault.

cto said:
I was sitting behind the bench. He yelled at players and refs, plenty. Unfortunately, he could not make free throws or layups for them

You could see he was intense on TV. But because we lost everyone has to have their scapegoats. If SJU had stopped making so many deep 3's, people would be saying we made a nice adjustment. If some of our shots fell, people would have said nice adjustments.

It's like JB always says, you have to make shots. Unfortunately we didn't and they did. Hop made an adjustment at halftime to extend the zone far out, still didn't matter. It was SJU's day.

You could see he was intense on TV. But because we lost everyone has to have their scapegoats. If SJU had stopped making so many deep 3's, people would be saying we made a nice adjustment. If some of our shots fell, people would have said nice adjustments.

It's like JB always says, you have to make shots. Unfortunately we didn't and they did. Hop made an adjustment at halftime to extend the zone far out, still didn't matter. It was SJU's day.
Look, I basically agree with what you're saying. But SJU just absolutely carved up the 2-3, with basically nothing done to change it. That's SJU, who couldn't score 50 vs Niagara or Rutgers.

I'm just not interested in making Hopkins a scapegoat in this loss. This team has major flaws that aren't his fault.
bench coaching is his fault --- he sucked---simple as that--- team stunk and he did as well--very bad playing --very bad coaching

I was sitting behind the bench. He yelled at players and refs, plenty. Unfortunately, he could not make free throws or layups for them
yelling does not = coaching--he made very bad desicions ---waited WAY TO LONG TO PRESS--TO INFUSE ENERGY INTO HIS OWN TEAM!!! many other issues as well--- i don't care where u were sitting---i care where he was sitting

Shots didn't fall from the 3 pt line, easy baskets weren't made down the stretch when we needed them and we are awful from the free throw line (roberson)...don't blame Hopkins. This isn't his team and he's coaching the way boeheim would coach. The only issue I have with Hop is that needs to keep his suit jacket on during the games...he reminds me too much of BC's head coach.

bench coaching is his fault --- he sucked---simple as that--- team stunk and he did as well--very bad playing --very bad coaching
yelling does not = coaching--he made very bad desicions ---waited WAY TO LONG TO PRESS--TO INFUSE ENERGY INTO HIS OWN TEAM!!! many other issues as well--- i don't care where u were sitting---i care where he was sitting
Have you ever heard of fallacy of composition? 3 games.

tipphill said:

So exactly what did he suck at?

fyi, the first time Hop called press StJ carved it up like a hot knife through butter

maybe he's wrong for getting gunshy, maybe if we make a stop/shot or tow and this became the 5 pt game it threatened to all half, things turn out differently

I do however believe Hop wasn't aggressive enough with some of the poor & no calls early, and I was watching him through binocs just to see how he reacted to those

You still want to criticize my judgment on this team? Forget everything else. If you can't defend the post, you aren't good. and we can't. Can't score down there either.

No doubt those are big issues. And they'll be big issues when JB is back, too.

or threes.

I'm not sure what people expected. Some of the 3s St. John's was hitting were from five feet behind the NBA arc. Could the defense have played better, probably...but the Johnnies were unconscious. And it was our offense that ultimately lost us the game. Coming down the stretch we had a number of possessions where we had the margin at 7 and simply couldn't score.

This was one of those games that begged for us to try something other than zone to try to take St. John's out of its offensive rhythm and that just isn't going to happen while it is JB's team.

I'm not saying his demeanor or "fire" should have been better/different - I could see on TV he was getting after players (he lit Cooney up in the 1st half - I believe it was something like, "Run the f___ing play!!") and trying to get them going, but...
the zone in the 2nd half was swiss cheese, every time down - JB has (generally) shown a great knack of tweaking things to take away what the other team is having success with - maybe Hop tried to tweak and the players weren't executing but it just looked like we weren't able to adjust an iota defensively and poor team made us look silly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom