I still dont understand why? | Syracusefan.com

I still dont understand why?

Ok, here's my problem.

I watched that part of the game several times and, as usual, Dick'son (and Tony Soprano) were on the court barking orders 6th-man style, holding up the game. The ref motioned them to sit down. Then Dick'son approached the ref and ref blew the whistle for the TO.

Regardless of what he said later, JD didn't really *want* a time out. He was forced into it by the ref's actions.

One can hope... Maybe...

Set the defense (not that the ref wasnt giving him plenty of time anyways..). It wasnt that long ago people were questioning JB for not calling the timeout in the duke game.

I was complaining that the ref was letting him pretty much go out and tell his guys what to do while we were ready to inbounds. I think Grant was very smart to walk back in bounds and look around like What. The ref then kind of motioned for Dixon to get off the court and then he finally called a TO.

The answer obviously is that DIxon is a control freak and even in game situations where his team has the advantage and it dictates no TO he cannot help himself. When Seth Greenburg is saying the TO is good and he understands it you know it was completely the wrong thing to do. Jay Williams description of the offensive team in that situation with and without a TO from a players perspective was actually spot on IMO.

The questioning of JB for the Duke game was us not fouling more than not calling a TO. CJ just missed the foul just past half court where we needed to give it.

After that last free throw, why did the ref have the ball and then he held it for a while? Am I wrong or did that happen?

To quote a loyal Pitt fan "Screw you Dixon!! Why the hell would you call that goddamn timeout?"

And another about what the TO produced. "got no one on the ball, Cooney open and Ennis played soft."

Or this: "Never seen a coach like Dixon. You shorten the game against the #1 team with a lead." and "we were out scored 10-2 at the end"

I really feel their pain. Don't you?

After that last free throw, why did the ref have the ball and then he held it for a while? Am I wrong or did that happen?

He would usually hold it for a possible substitute but that is it. He was holding it whole Dixon was literally going out and positioning his players.

He would usually hold it for a possible substitute but that is it. He was holding it whole Dixon was literally going out and positioning his players.

That's what annoyed me but I couldn't really see what was happening because Dixon was in the way! Heck, the ref basically gave Dixon an X second timeout and much to Dixons chagrin he had too much time to think and then called the T.O. .

College coaches feel like they need to orchestrate the entire game. That is why there are so many late timeouts, and so many possessions that use 30+ seconds of the shot clock. They don't trust their players to remember what they're taught in practice and just play.

That said, I agree with him that it probably worked for them. They forced Tyler to catch the ball pretty deep, forced him towards the sideline with 2 guys running with him and he put up a pretty low percentage shot. It just happened to be a clean look and it went through!

I was complaining that the ref was letting him pretty much go out and tell his guys what to do while we were ready to inbounds. I think Grant was very smart to walk back in bounds and look around like What. The ref then kind of motioned for Dixon to get off the court and then he finally called a TO.

The answer obviously is that DIxon is a control freak and even in game situations where his team has the advantage and it dictates no TO he cannot help himself. When Seth Greenburg is saying the TO is good and he understands it you know it was completely the wrong thing to do. Jay Williams description of the offensive team in that situation with and without a TO from a players perspective was actually spot on IMO.

The questioning of JB for the Duke game was us not fouling more than not calling a TO. CJ just missed the foul just past half court where we needed to give it.
Great point about Grant. Not sure of it was intentional or actual confusion but him doing that forced the refs to get their ish together. That was so bizarre, normally a timeout is called or you get the ball and go, there's not a 2 minute stoppage while coaches are on the floor moving their players around and yelling out strategy.

Great point about Grant. Not sure of it was intentional or actual confusion but him doing that forced the refs to get their ish together. That was so bizarre, normally a timeout is called or you get the ball and go, there's not a 2 minute stoppage while coaches are on the floor moving their players around and yelling out strategy.

I wondered if he actually was confused and thought it was a TO as well. I'll give him credit for doing it on purpose but your right who really knows.

Meh the TO was fine. It did work in the sense that Tler had to go almost the length of the court in 4 seconds. It took a miracle shot to pull it out.

I wouldnt have called it but it really didnt affect the outcome IMO

Couldn't get the game here, but am I correct in assuming SU had no TO's left after the 2 foul shots with 4 seconds to go?

Couldn't get the game here, but am I correct in assuming SU had no TO's left after the 2 foul shots with 4 seconds to go?

Correct Cow. We wouldn't have been able to call one so Dixon's did help JB have a chance to set something up.

I think there's something to that, jordoo, he's on the floor so much he's accustomed to having that all his way. If the ref forced him to take the TO, good on the ref. And what would have happened if Dixon had none left? Would the ref have teed him, giving SU 2 and possession? Could you imagine the sh!tstorm that would have caused? :D

I think there's something to that, jordoo, he's on the floor so much he's accustomed to having that all his way. If the ref forced him to take the TO, good on the ref. And what would have happened if Dixon had none left? Would the ref have teed him, giving SU 2 and possession? Could you imagine the sh!tstorm that would have caused? :D

That would have been great!

That said, I agree with him that it probably worked for them. They forced Tyler to catch the ball pretty deep, forced him towards the sideline with 2 guys running with him and he put up a pretty low percentage shot. It just happened to be a clean look and it went through!

"Newkirk really screwed up by allowing himself to get crossed over when we had 2 defenders on the ball. No excuse to bite on that when you have another defender bracketing. Shot would never have been so clean of he had held his ground. Freshman -up."

Pitt translation.

Look, I hate Dixon as much as the next guy but the timeout didn't cause them to suddenly suck. They sucked long before that timeout. And their fans should be thrilled with that timeout - it game them 3 more minutes of thinking they were going to win!

"Newkirk really screwed up by allowing himself to get crossed over when we had 2 defenders on the ball. No excuse to bite on that when you have another defender bracketing. Shot would never have been so clean of he had held his ground. Freshman -up."

Pitt translation.

Yeah, I saw that too. That said, he did and gave Tyler the clean look. Tyler did a great job of setting that up.

I wondered if he actually was confused and thought it was a TO as well. I'll give him credit for doing it on purpose but your right who really knows.

Pretty sure Grant was trying to hear what Boeheim was instructing, so he took advantage of the delay too.

Dixon waited as long as he could before taking his TO to see what our setup was going to look like.

College coaches feel like they need to orchestrate the entire game. That is why there are so many late timeouts, and so many possessions that use 30+ seconds of the shot clock. They don't trust their players to remember what they're taught in practice and just play.

That's probably because they're getting paid at least a million, if not 2 or more, and for that kind of money you damn well better do something more than say, "Let's have fun out there." If he didn't take the TO and Ennis scores (like he did, anyway), he's got a lot of answering to do to the media, the AD, the boosters & alumni (read: $$$ :)). So if I'm Dixon, I'd take the TO. I'd rather go strength against strength than leave it to luck. An unused TO in that situation would become Dixon's albatross until their next win of any consequence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom