I think Boeheim is taking the easy way out too much | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I think Boeheim is taking the easy way out too much

I think you're being unduly harsh about Christmas. He had a 61% FG percentage, by far the best on the team. He averaged 1.9 blocks a game, by far the best on the team. He actually is one of the best big-man passers SU has had in years. He ended with the third best free throw percentage, better than CJ Fair. His block on Hood at the end of the Duke game was perhaps the biggest defensive play of the year. I think it is inexcusable for SU not to have taken more time to figure out an offense that gets him the ball more often. But he's constantly being yanked out of the lineup due to the coach's bad temper. If you want to know why SU's offense was so stagnant, look no further than the failure to use Rak more effectively.

I might be too harsh and I agree that we didn't get him the ball enough. We never get the center the ball enough. I'm just looking at his game to game, play to play consistency. He had a good game against Dayton and a poor game against W Mich and NC St in the tournament after he had dominated them in the dome. He did have a good game against Duke in the dome but not at Duke. He was inconsistent throughout the year. I think he's gotten yanked more because of foul trouble and defensive lapses than because of a coaches temper. He's really played quite a bit more minutes than Baye averaging over 8 more minutes a game. Baye who is far from an offensive player averaged 50% also from the field. I just see so much potential in Christmas, the McDonalds All American, who is averaging only one rebound and one block per game over Baye in an extra 8 minutes of game time. Baye didn't start at Oak Hill if I recall. I see glimpses of Rak's ability to be a dominating factor then watch him disappear. How many games were his minutes limited because of foul trouble requiring Baye to play?

I'm sorry if I came across harsh because I really think Christmas is key to our success and am frustrated by seeing his potential limited and play so inconsistent. I think the staff sees it too and why they are so focused on challenging him. They should have higher expectations for Christmas and he's shown he's capable just not consistently.

i think it says something about our defense that it seems so strange to have the strategy of guarding the other teams shooting guard closely

I'm guilty of it too. look at that defense, they have one player follow Cooney wherever he goes! it's like the defense says ok we're going to have this man guard that man instead of guarding an area! it's crazy!

They are KEYING ON HIM...ya know..where they take one guy and guard him.