I think Cohen's article exposed ...... | Syracusefan.com

I think Cohen's article exposed ......

BORZAK

2nd String
I think that the article exposed something which is a constant concern in every college team. I am very excited for this season and HCSS. I love his approach, the staff he has assembled and the direction he wants to go. We have so many coaches and players being put in positions which are not very familiar with at this level or any level.
Tired and late…. But as prepared as Coach Shafer was I think the press conference caught him off guard.
Wondering how many more things this season may catch the program off guard?
1st year --Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator, countless players expected to step up at numerous positions.
Many things that we will prepare for may at first catch us off guard in so many WAYS.
Hoping that we win all those challenges and have a HARD NOSED 8-4 SEASON

I think that the article exposed something which is a constant concern in every college team. I am very excited for this season and HCSS. I love his approach, the staff he has assembled and the direction he wants to go. We have so many coaches and players being put in positions which are not very familiar with at this level or any level.
Tired and late…. But as prepared as Coach Shafer was I think the press conference caught him off guard.
1st year --Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator, countless players expected to step up at numerous positions.
Many things that we will prepare for may at first catch us off guard in so many WAYS.

Good post. Largely agree... I will say, I hope media is the low priority in our FB coach. Hardnosed, football focus.

Just how you put that I'm thinking prob more a 3-9 season. :-(. Hope I am wrong!!!

He has a lot on his plate there is no doubt about that but to me he was a little bit out of his element. Coaching football is his thing while yes I do agree he will be learning a lot of things...new things that the HC does, feeling more comfortable on the field with his teams is more important to me than being able to BS with reporters. I've heard coaches be able to spew out all kinds of crap to reporters and sound like they have it going on but once on the field they are not nearly as effective.

I've noticed a bit of SS saying the same soundbites and once he gets to be coaching his guys...then we'll start to see what the man can do. I do get what you're saying about adjusting and adjusting on the field is what counts which we have seen him do quite well in his time here with the defense.

He's been coaching football for years. How long has he been doing press conferences? My take is that there is nothing you can take from this press conference. Failed attempt at being cute by Cohen.

He's been coaching football for years. How long has he been doing press conferences? My take is that there is nothing you can take from this press conference. Failed attempt at being cute by Cohen.

Inventing a story that isn't there. Exactly. As Tomcat pointed out in the other thread, there are so many more important story lines to flesh out, and he wrote this. What a wasted opportunity.

While those other coaches were at the press conference, SS locked 'em in and went after their recruits.

I think if you take anything away from that Cohen piece you're nuts. You have a valid point about the # of coaches stepping up to new roles - but inferring there is trouble due to Cohen's interpretation/slant of that last press conference is a huge stretch.

if you going to post about an article, can you please do it with the assumption that not every reader of the post has read the article?

in the future, please link the article that you are talking about.

note: this isnt about the OP specifically... this has been happening more and more frequently with other posters.

I think if you take anything away from that Cohen piece you're nuts. You have a valid point about the # of coaches stepping up to new roles - but inferring there is trouble due to Cohen's interpretation/slant of that last press conference is a huge stretch.

Agree about the Cohen piece -- meaningless other than to say Shafer is a rookie in the ACC media setting and SU isn't viewed as a contender by ACC media.

We might not be the most talented team (WRs, QB, right side of the OL & pass rush are issues), but I like the coaching staff, and I like our overall experience. On the defensive side the coaches are solid, and it is Shafer's strength anyway. On the offensive side, McDonald is surrounded by experience. Within the team, we have upperclassmen everywhere -- seniors at DE, best set of LBs we have had in years, best trio of CBs, and so forth.

We aren't a young team. Now if the passing game comes around . . .

My judgement is how prepared we will be against penn st could give a rats behind about some lousy press conference for Cuse it's all about Ws and gaining respect were about 2-3 years away from consistent winning to be considered a top 25 mainstay

if you going to post about an article, can you please do it with the assumption that not every reader of the post has read the article?

in the future, please link the article that you are talking about.

note: this isnt about the OP specifically... this has been happening more and more frequently with other posters.
Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt, he might have thought he didn't need to link it since there was a 67-reply post near the top of the board that has almost 2000 views.
http://syracusefan.com/threads/scot...guy-stereotype-at-acc-football-kickoff.54806/

Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt, he might have thought he didn't need to link it since there was a 67-reply post near the top of the board that has almost 2000 views.
http://syracusefan.com/threads/scot...guy-stereotype-at-acc-football-kickoff.54806/

fair enough... but when i got on to the board this morning. this thread was at the top of the forum. not the other 1. I, like most people, start at the top of the page and work my way down.

i realize i could (and ultimately did) research the article to read it - but i just think its a simple gesture for an OP to link what they are talking about... especially if the entire argument is hidden in the link.

i had NO CLUE what cohen's article was talking about based solely on OP's post.

but in response to the article - it was awful reporting. i couldnt care less what cheat sheet anyone carries. especially a football coach.

I'm not sure it was awful. It wasn't exciting but awful? HCSS is new to being the top guy, it showed. SU is not predicted to do well, ACC media responded by not giving us much attention. I don't think it was in any way meant to come off as negative but it was boring and seemed to run on forever for no apparent reason. Guy must be taking lessons from Poliquin.

fair enough... but when i got on to the board this morning. this thread was at the top of the forum. not the other 1. I, like most people, start at the top of the page and work my way down.

i realize i could (and ultimately did) research the article to read it - but i just think its a simple gesture for an OP to link what they are talking about... especially if the entire argument is hidden in the link.

i had NO CLUE what cohen's article was talking about based solely on OP's post.

but in response to the article - it was awful reporting. i couldnt care less what cheat sheet anyone carries. especially a football coach.
well at least you learned to not be so pigheaded as to demand that an already hashed about article/topic be including in any new OP because you cant figure out how to search for a thread to get perspective.

but anywho, i dont know who the guy that wrote it was. dont know his resume and maybe hes a lousy journalist, but i believe the point remains that we have NO FLUCKIN CLUE what shafer is going to be like as the man.

a ton of incredible O/DCs have failed as a HC.

was he an 'incredible' DC??

im going to say he wasnt, he was pretty good though and im not against him getting his shot.

but to think this may not be a red flag is incredulous.

as the season gets closer the weight and magnatude of the task at hand becomes greater and hes probably learning that all his little catch phrases dont win games and not only do we not want to hear for the upteenth time, but the ACC media had no use for them as well.

its too bad he didnt coach in the training wheel conf that was the bmw, for hes now in the big leagues with big time coaches with legimate shots to win a NC this year or any year.

its on scotty. dont make us beam you out.

Oh Lord

Those concerns are valid, IMO--not just for Shafer, but for the entire staff.

Until proven otherwise. Which hopefully begins in 2013.

well at least you learned to not be so pigheaded as to demand that an already hashed about article/topic be including in any new OP because you cant figure out how to search for a thread to get perspective.

how would i know that it was previously hashed out? it made no mention of it in the post.

Hey. First game on the sideline HC, OC, DC. I'm inferring you think it comes off without a hitch. First start at QB, right side. WR. It's going to be a challenge. Still hope they make 8-4

Every team has new guys on each side of the ball and a few new people coaching.

Article is a joke. Cohen joins the ranks of Sub Standard/Herald Urinal pissclams.

I've avoided the article. If Cohen was writing about HCSS being a newbie then I'll just substitute Cohen himself for every reference he makes to coach and assume that Cohen is really deep down writing about himself.

i still don't know what the article was inferring. was it Shafer doesn't have the stamina for an all day presser, or was it Cohen saying he doesn't seem prepared for what the ACC has for us? If that's the case it would be a strange way to go about saying it. The reason i'm not concerned is because when he had to turn it on he did. The 2 big interviews he did with ESPNU, and his allotted time with the whole press he was the say charismatic self that we all were used to. Maybe he doesn't like Cohen and Mink? That wouldn't be a long shot, i sure don't like them. Maybe he was short, and uninterested for a reason. New hires happen all the time, it will always be a gamble with what you get, but what I know is this team wants to go to battle for him. He has already won the team, that's half the job right there, now the football stuff should be easy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom