I think Cohen's article exposed ...... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I think Cohen's article exposed ......

Cohen will be a good reporter. I really think so.

But he does not know Xs and Os and has a melodramatic viewpoint on something mean to be insightful, but comes across as hilariously trivial.

A few things that are important to point out:

1) Media day is by definition a complete joke with no actual meat/potatoes material. It's the whole point -- to schmooze and write fluff and make the conference (whatever conference it is) sound competitive. Does that happen? No, but I'd love to see anybody here go to a media day and come back with a great, hard-hitting news piece or analysis.

2) Cohen seems OK to me otherwise and this piece was somewhat pointless but, see point 1 on that. I thought the idea of having teammates break down younger teammates we haven't seen yet was a pretty cool, somewhat insightful way of providing a bit of football news when there's no actual football news happening. Does it make Cohen a Pulitzer winner or even a great replacement for Dave/Donnie? No, but it wasn't terrible reporting at all.

3) He's a new writer -- give him a little time before you despise him.

4) Had he written how Shafer handled media day like a true pro -- a story that's equally as meaningless -- half the posters here would be lining up to give both Cohen and SS handies in the men's room.

Anyway, I agree -- there's never much real meat in preseason articles, there is concern over how much green there is on this staff, we still miss donnie and dave and the PS often appears to be a shell of what it used to be (though there were plenty here who criticized donnie/dave quite a bit as well). But folks need to chill.

A few things that are important to point out:

1) Media day is by definition a complete joke with no actual meat/potatoes material. It's the whole point -- to schmooze and write fluff and make the conference (whatever conference it is) sound competitive. Does that happen? No, but I'd love to see anybody here go to a media day and come back with a great, hard-hitting news piece or analysis.

2) Cohen seems OK to me otherwise and this piece was somewhat pointless but, see point 1 on that. I thought the idea of having teammates break down younger teammates we haven't seen yet was a pretty cool, somewhat insightful way of providing a bit of football news when there's no actual football news happening. Does it make Cohen a Pulitzer winner or even a great replacement for Dave/Donnie? No, but it wasn't terrible reporting at all.

3) He's a new writer -- give him a little time before you despise him.

4) Had he written how Shafer handled media day like a true pro -- a story that's equally as meaningless -- half the posters here would be lining up to give both Cohen and SS handies in the men's room.

Anyway, I agree -- there's never much real meat in preseason articles, there is concern over how much green there is on this staff, we still miss donnie and dave and the PS often appears to be a shell of what it used to be (though there were plenty here who criticized donnie/dave quite a bit as well). But folks need to chill.

You've put a nice bow on exactly my issue with it: it was both pointless and negative. If its both of those things don't post it.

If it makes a good point and happens to point out negatives - we are big boys, no issue.

If it's pointless and positive? I dunno - we bleed orange, right? I don't want too many fluffy articles but a few is fine.

You've put a nice bow on exactly my issue with it: it was both pointless and negative. If its both of those things don't post it.

If it makes a good point and happens to point out negatives - we are big boys, no issue.

If it's pointless and positive? I dunno - we bleed orange, right? I don't want too many fluffy articles but a few is fine.

So I just read it -- I think it's a good article for what you're dealt. He pointed out that Syracuse is not in any way, shape or form interesting to the rest of the ACC at this point. Negative? I guess, but it's what I've been saying for a long time and it's going to be a very strange feeling when everyone is a minimum of 6 hours away and they have zero history. That's obviously new for a school that built the Big East.

It's also pretty funny from an anecdotal standpoint that Shafer had a cheat sheet with coaches' names and stuff. I don't think that's negative as much as a kind of funny story, right? I don't think it's bad but it is kind of funny.

The point of the story was that at a BE media day, you're getting questions from the NYC contingent, opponents reporters, etc. as well as plenty of questions for all-league type guys like Macky and Bromley. This was a stark contrast.

Does it mean it's the end of the world for SU football? No, but it's going to be very weird.

So I just read it -- I think it's a good article for what you're dealt. He pointed out that Syracuse is not in any way, shape or form interesting to the rest of the ACC at this point. Negative? I guess, but it's what I've been saying for a long time and it's going to be a very strange feeling when everyone is a minimum of 6 hours away and they have zero history. That's obviously new for a school that built the Big East.

It's also pretty funny from an anecdotal standpoint that Shafer had a cheat sheet with coaches' names and stuff. I don't think that's negative as much as a kind of funny story, right? I don't think it's bad but it is kind of funny.

The point of the story was that at a BE media day, you're getting questions from the NYC contingent, opponents reporters, etc. as well as plenty of questions for all-league type guys like Macky and Bromley. This was a stark contrast.

Does it mean it's the end of the world for SU football? No, but it's going to be very weird.

Probably too much has been made of it - it wasn't over the top negative. Seemed like he was saying "you should worry about this coach because he was late, had a cheat sheet, and wasn't popular" - I read it and thought "I'm not worried at all." But this guy holds some power in driving perception of the program and coach SS. Just needlessly negative about inside baseball stuff.

4) Had he written how Shafer handled media day like a true pro -- a story that's equally as meaningless -- half the posters here would be lining up behind Chip and Millhouse to give both Cohen and SS handies in the men's room.
Fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom