I Think I Finally Understand What the Problem is | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I Think I Finally Understand What the Problem is

Marrone's biggest problem is that he's afraid to fail. Right when the expectations begin to grow, he leaves. He's done it everywhere he's been. He's sensitive and he feels comortable building something, but not confident enough to take it to the next level. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but he is what he is. What bothers me is that everyone is crapping their pants about him leaving and how it's going to hurt recruiting. His recruiting class is rated #72 in the country. That is after four years. He can't close or finish what he started. It is who he is.

After seeing what a good number of Doug's first recruits did after having one of the worst ranked recruiting classes in the country, maybe we should give the staff the benefit of the doubt with respect to these rankings.

That is not the way it works everywhere. In some industries the company's assets go down the elevator every night - Wall Street in the prime example. Certain employees (bankers, traders and sales people) bring their own book of business . When they walk out the door the business goes with them. They become commodities and, in the final analysis, trade to the highest bidder. You can't stop it with all the management skills in the world.

Pros never call their competitors - they need plausible deniability. They are all known to head hunters and it only takes one word to get your name out there. Head hunters or, in sports, agents do the first contact.

Here's the deal
  1. You can only put the gun to the firm's head once. After the first time, they will prepare a contingency plan and will have people in the bull pen. Senior management will all of sudden start showing up at events where your clients are and will attempt to build relationships above you. You will all of a sudden have an assistant to "help you". They will start making sure that if you leave they can retain as much of the relationship as possible. We need to have a succession plan in place now. I would be happy with either Hackett or Shafer.
  2. However, in this situation, I do not know how it is possible to come to any other conclusion than Doug wants out. He is simply being marketed too heavily and taking every interview he can. If this were a leverage play one interview would suffice.
  3. Some things cannot be undone. This is one of them. I, for one, was among those that felt we had to have more patience with Doug because he was committed to SU and we needed to return that commitment. There was a feeling of a special bond to an alum that told us this was his dream job. That is gone now and it will never be the same. It can be good but never like it was.
  4. This has to come to an end soon. This kind of time delay would never be tolerated on the street because of the damage it does to morale and the fact that the sharks will start circling your other assets - coaches, recruits etc.
I am convinced that Doug is either gone or will be gone. Either way, we need to get our heads out of the sand and prepare for that eventuality.

I will be forever grateful to Doug for returning the program to respectability and will root for him at whatever NFL team to which he goes.

The program is healthy and will survive but we need to get this behind us soon.
Well said great post.

It's true that Dougs recruits have turned out ok, but you also have to admit that the top ranked recruiting classes go to the schools that are usually ranked in the top 10.

It's true that Dougs recruits have turned out ok, but you also have to admit that the top ranked recruiting classes go to the schools that are usually ranked in the top 10.

Your point? This staff can coach players up to above what their numbers say...they have proved that...they can continue to improve and get into top 25

My point is that with the current players they are recruiting, they will never be a top 10 team. You can coach them up all you want, but they will never beat a top 5 team. I don't think Doug ever cracked a top 50 recruiting ranking and this class is the lowest. You can't really count his first class because he was here only a month.

My point is that with the current players they are recruiting, they will never be a top 10 team. You can coach them up all you want, but they will never beat a top 5 team. I don't think Doug ever cracked a top 50 recruiting ranking and this class is the lowest. You can't really count his first class because he was here only a month.

But those rankings are not accurate anyways, they do not evaluate many NY players, and according to Nurry on Rivals most of SU recruits are just a tenth of a point from being the next level i.e 3 to4 or 2 to 3. I think we can all see that the recruits have been getting better each year based upon the eye test and performance test. That being said if they continue to win, and contiue to upgrade eventaully they will have talent that can get them consistantly in top 25 and can occasionally get a great year like 1987. SU has bever been a great recruiting scholl based on those sites

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom