I think I know why I'm taking this so hard | Syracusefan.com

I think I know why I'm taking this so hard

Toga

Living Legend
Over the years I've managed to let go of even tough losses (see Rutgers) pretty quickly. Wasn't always the case. Having a hard time with this one. I think it's because we were the better team, but mostly it was because there was a Lot to like about what we saw today. Seeing that, visions of 8-4 or better were dancing in my head.

Just playing no huddle the entire game made me feel that the coaches are capable of learning and the players of executing. That style should be attractive to future recruits with big playmaking ability.

But the loss put a big crimp in having a stellar season and it is hard to take.

I'm sticking with 7-5 despite the W. it was a tough loss immediately after the fact but now that I have cooled down, there are a ton of positives. 600 yards is 600 yards (especially without Pugh and lemon). Got to cut down on the mistakes thiugh

I think playing a decent game and still losing is hard. For years, we've been taking any win we possibly can. A win by any means is a wonderful feeling. But often, the team has looked like complete $**t, win or lose. Today, that was not the case. Yes, there were dumb penalties. Yes, the punt coverage unit looked like poo.

But the team was still in the game! They put up 600 yards of total offense and lost by a point!

They won that game physically and statistically and still lost. How many times has that happened over the last 10 years? That's why it hurts!

I think if you had a record of higher than 8-4 you were reaching. We can still put together a good tring of wins just need to learn from these mistakes get better at tackling.

The false starts were not acceptable but I'd at least attribute it to a team running a change of pace no huddle offense they have never run before in a game situation. We'll improve.

The false starts were not acceptable but I'd at least attribute it to a team running a change of pace no huddle offense they have never run before in a game situation. We'll improve.

As mentioned, due the offensive gameplan, I can live with the false starts a lot better than the numerous encroachment & illegal substitution penalties on defense.

Agree 100%. SU needs to win when it is the better team. Too often this season we will not be the better team and we will need to win a few of those to go 7-5 or 8-4. If you can not win when you are the better team that says something about the coaching. I don't really want to put this on them but I was not surprised at all they were able to go down the field when we were only rushing 3 or 4.

The change in defense on the last series had to be Marrone's call, and turned out to be wrong, so yes it is on the coach. He went to 3 rush 8 back, when we had run 4 rush 7 back and attacked all day.

This loss is not the end of the world.

There were a few things that impressed me about today's game that I haven't seen in a very long time. We would get 5 yard penalty on 1st down and last year the and the past few years, you knew that meant we would really struggle to get a first down on that series. Today, it didn't faze this team, all day long I felt that we could get the first down even if it was 1st and 15 or 1st and 20.

The offense gave up two TDs and the punt team pretty much gave up two more. The defense played exceptional and the offense was unstoppable. When is the last time you could say that? This loss is NOT the end of the world. It looks like we have a good season ahead.

Over the years I've managed to let go of even tough losses (see Rutgers) pretty quickly. Wasn't always the case. Having a hard time with this one. I think it's because we were the better team, but mostly it was because there was a Lot to like about what we saw today. Seeing that, visions of 8-4 or better were dancing in my head.

Just playing no huddle the entire game made me feel that the coaches are capable of learning and the players of executing. That style should be attractive to future recruits with big playmaking ability.

But the loss put a big crimp in having a stellar season and it is hard to take.

Hard loss to take as this was a game they, on paper, should absolutely win. And they didn't. Great to have lots of enthusiasm - and there are a number of things that are good - but my confidence level is tepid remembering that we put 49 points on the board and blistered W Va...and never sniffed much of a close game thereafter.

Painful loss. And with just 12 games, I kinda feel we need to make up for one somewhere else.

The margin for error is still too slim for this team. You must win the games you should win. I fear this one is going to come back to haunt us down the road.

This loss is not the end of the world.

There were a few things that impressed me about today's game that I haven't seen in a very long time. We would get 5 yard penalty on 1st down and last year the and the past few years, you knew that meant we would really struggle to get a first down on that series. Today, it didn't faze this team, all day long I felt that we could get the first down even if it was 1st and 15 or 1st and 20.

The offense gave up two TDs and the punt team pretty much gave up two more. The defense played exceptional and the offense was unstoppable. When is the last time you could say that? This loss is NOT the end of the world. It looks like we have a good season ahead.

Seriously. This is nothing. We have been to the bottom and I've tried but no amount of bourbon can kill those brain cells.

Watching Penn State at home walk through our D like it was warm bathwater, that was a hard loss.

We'll be back. this game showed me that we are seriously a potential BE contender. If anyone here posts anything about this offense not being aggressive, they are insane.
Heck, we were without some of our best options and we still had a crazy day on O. I kept telling the kid in front of me, “I think this is an SU record breaking day on O. Crazy numbers, what are they? but I think Nassib has thrown for about 350 – 400 yds before the last TD drive” – can’t wait til I get home to see the stats, but dang, we put up some crazy throwing numbers.! “

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom