I think there's more to work with on the OL than others | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I think there's more to work with on the OL than others

Everyone seems to forget SU lost a fantastic prospect in Sellers that flipped on signing day. They then lost Lamson in the spring. Thats two at least adequate players that would have played so that they could have run a normal offense and won a few more games. Beck was a first year coordinator, I thought he was really good
You have to have a guy on the roster capable of beating a dog shyte BC team besides the #1 guy. There is no excuse. We should be able to pull a D2 transfer that can perform better than 7 of 17 for 37 yards, 1.9 yards per pass, 0 TD’s, and 4 INT’s.

You have to have a guy on the roster capable of beating a dog shyte BC team besides the #1 guy. There is no excuse. We should be able to pull a D2 transfer that can perform better than 7 of 17 for 37 yards, 1.9 yards per pass, 0 TD’s, and 4 INT’s.
You do realize he was high school 4 start that transferred from an SEC school right ??

You do realize he was high school 4 start that transferred from an SEC school right ??
I understand what he was thought to be out of high school and what he is in reality. It doesn’t take Andy Reid to see he doesn’t have “it”

I think we have major issues here.

I think our coaching was poor. Hopefully that is now fixed.

I think we have a talent issue. Hopefully we fix that after the Spring.

We lack underclassmen with only 2 FR and 2 RFR on next year's roster. That will cause a numbers problem in 2026 and 2027.

I think Cruz is ok. He is young so he can still grow. Bradford is fine as a backup. So we need to bring someone in. I don't think Reed played well this year. We might need to recruit over him. We lose Bleich so who replaces him? Petry is fine as a backup, assuming he comes back. Based on last night's OL IMO we need 4 new starters. That is a lot.

We do have 4 guys who were out injured and can help in that regard. Wohlabaugh. Is he better as a G or T? Cruz, who right now seems like he is better as a 2nd stringer. Maybe in time. Ellis, I am not very high on him. Not sure he is good enough to be a starter. More, if he is back is he good enough to start?

I only see 2 quality starters. We really need two quality portal guys. Hopefully Fran has some magic left.

Yes, we have a lot of depth guys. We need a good LT, a good center, and one more starting quality guy, and then I’m sure we can find enough from all the other guys to get 8 or 9 healthy ACC quality guys to start the season with. You know that 2 or 3 are going to get hurt. It happens every year.

But if we have more quality depth, maybe we can rotate guys a bit more and not have to play people who are obviously hurt, like we have so much in the past.

You do realize he was 5th on SC’s depth chart and decided to transfer because he got beat out by a true frosh who had been on campus for 3 months?

What he was in high school doesn’t matter. What does matter is why he wasn’t succesful at his first school and why he’s transferring. Did you see any SC fans upset that he left because of his potential like we did with UGA fans and Zeed Haynes? I know I sure didn’t. I saw more concern here about Lamson leaving than anything out of SC about Braden Davis.

Last edited:
Yes, we have a lot of depth guys. We need a good LT, a good center, and one more starting quality guy, and then I’m sure we can find enough from all the other guys to get 8 or 9 healthy ACC quality guys to start the season with. You know that 2 or 3 are going to get hurt. It happens every year.

But if we have more quality depth, maybe we can rotate guys a bit more and not have to play people who are obviously hurt, like we have so much in the past.
Ideally we can add 3 more portal kids - C, G, T to what we currently have, and maybe one more high end HS prospect before Feb 7th signing day. That way Jonre has comp at the C, E Cruz and Wohlobaugh at the T’s and may the best men win. Because that will make our 2 deep super strong. Then you have 2 new portal guards of which we already have one, and can use More/Ellis as the rest of the rotation. Again, best men win. Then we’ll have a strong 2 deep and the beyond will be the young guys from this and the last class.

Ideally we can add 3 more portal kids - C, G, T to what we currently have, and maybe one more high end HS prospect before Feb 7th signing day. That way Jonre has comp at the C, E Cruz and Wohlobaugh at the T’s and may the best men win. Because that will make our 2 deep super strong. Then you have 2 new portal guards of which we already have one, and can use More/Ellis as the rest of the rotation. Again, best men win. Then we’ll have a strong 2 deep and the beyond will be the young guys from this and the last class.

At this point I think a high quality LT might be enough.

Ts
1s Xfer, E. Cruz
2s J. Cruz, Petry, Mack/Bass?, Kauhi

Gs
1s Wohlabaugh, best of...
2s Miller, Bradford, More, Ellis, Mack/Bass?, Moeolo

C
1 best of 2s or a G moved here
2s Reed, Illaoa

I do think we also need one more underclassman as we only have 5 as of right now. But that is more for the future.

You do realize he was 5th on SC’s depth chart and decided to transfer because he got beat out by a true frosh who had been on campus for 3 months?

What he was in high school doesn’t matter. What does matter is why he wasn’t succesful at his first school and why he’s transferring. Did you see any SC fans upset that he left because of his potential like we did with UGA fans and Zeed Haynes? I know I sure didn’t. I saw more concern here about Lamson leaving than anything out of SC about Braden Davis.
People think because someone went to an SEC school that somehow they’re special. There are good and bad players everywhere. There are misses everywhere. Each player needs to be evaluated for what they’ve actually accomplished, especially coming out of the portal.

Ts
1s Xfer, E. Cruz

Gs

C
2s Reed, Illaoa

I do think we also need one more underclassman as we only have 5 as of right now. But that is more for the future.
E. Cruz still a question mark as to how good he really can be. Play not impressive so far. Backups not exciting. Need transfer plus a Cruz upgrade would be nice.

Wohlabaigh was hurt and he had questionable play at Kentucky. Out of the rest, none have proven to be very good. Upgrades needed here too across the board.

Reed was okay. Another year could do him some good. Need depth here.

Ts
1s Xfer, E. Cruz

Gs

C
2s Reed, Illaoa

I’d rather just see us move on from Ilaoa, and then 2 of Bradford, Moeolo and Kauhi. We can do better than Ilaoa even as a backup and no need to carry guys that won’t contribute.

I get that there is always going to be some sort of drop off between the 1st and 2nd unit, but we need to get to a point where that is due to experience and physical maturity and not due to ability.

My hope is that Fran uses some power run concepts. We pretty much ran zone. ZBS and power are equally effective, depending on personnel. That is not in question.. Smaller agile guys excel in zone, bigger powerful guys like power. I'm old school, so I prefer power. (Different debate)

I find power far more aggressive. It's insanely meaner, and helps instill that, every run. In 21, we ran a bunch of Schmidt plays. Many power. Oline LOVED them. Tucker for 1500. Ditched em in 22, to fit the overall philosophy.

I know that when Dino was pushing the run - he DID. Many guys that had some power backgrounds were begging for power. The handful of Cuse Linemen I spoke to, said, If you want to Run, then let us run block. POWER. They just wanted to hurt someone. They didn't like zone (Different debate)

Zone can be really good. Especially; if you are running RPO. All I ask, is that Fran gives them the Self Respect of trusting them to run Power. You need to give these guys an outlet to hurt someone...

Last edited:
My hope is that Fran uses some power run concepts. We pretty much ran zone. ZBS and power are equally effective, depending on personnel. That is not in question.. Smaller agile guys excel in zone, bigger powerful guys like power. I'm old school, so I prefer power. (Different debate)

I find power far more aggressive. It's just meaner, and helps instill that, every run. In 21, we ran a bunch of Schmidt plays. Many power. Oline LOVED them. Tucker for 1500. Ditched em in 22, to fit the overall philosophy.

I know that when Dino was pushing the run - he DID. Many guys that had some power backgrounds were begging for power. The handful of Cuse Linemen I spoke to, said, If you want to Run, then let us run block. POWER. They just wanted to hurt someone. They didn't like zone.
I get the feeling that our OL very shortly will resemble a SEC line.

I find power far more aggressive. It's insanely meaner, and helps instill that, every run. In 21, we ran a bunch of Schmidt plays. Many power. Oline LOVED them. Tucker for 1500. Ditched em in 22, to fit the overall philosophy.

I know that when Dino was pushing the run - he DID. Many guys that had some power backgrounds were begging for power. The handful of Cuse Linemen I spoke to, said, If you want to Run, then let us run block. POWER. They just wanted to hurt someone. They didn't like zone (Different debate)

Zone can be really good. Especially; if you are running RPO. All I ask, is that Fran gives them the Self Respect of trusting them to run Power. You need to give these guys an outlet to hurt someone...
When you say power are you talking about a specific power run play or are you saying gap runs? If you are saying gap I just dont think SU is good enough up front to do that the whole game. Thats running to a specific gap each play. They ran a lot of lead on the goal line/short yard packages. They were ok at it but not great. Pitt game was fun too watch but duplicating that each week would be hard to do.

I could be wrong but I thought Schmidt was running more of a zone blocking scheme that sprang Tucker, not gap blocking. They did change things up after Anea got here, which is one of the reasons Tucker was less effective last season.

In any case, our line isn’t agile and nimble enough to be great zone blockers nor are they strong and powerful enough with proper technique to be great power run blockers. Hence, the problem.

I do agree that imposing an olines will on an opposing defensive is very enjoyable the watch. We don’t have the personnel for that yet. Our oline fails to consistently move bodies. It’s the biggest fix we need.

I could be wrong but I thought Schmidt was running more of a zone blocking scheme that sprang Tucker, not gap blocking. They did change things up after Anea got here, which is one of the reasons Tucker was less effective last season.
Yup, their best runs come from zone blocking. Specifically split zone. Tucker got most of his yards from that.

The question would have been did we have the talent to run the scheme or not. You can see so many plays where we just missed assignments or messed up the blocks.

When you tell the guy who they should block and get beat thats a talent thing, When you tell them who to block and they block someone else, is that talent or coaching or what?

I would think they fact they we have struggled for year after year with short yardage plays would point at strength/talent issues over scheme. We cant create push when its needed and thats not a zone blocking issue.

I miss the old toss sweep plays, Like what we ran with Reyes in the backfield.

or the delay sprint draws we ran with Joe Morris

We cant even run a good screen pass most of the time.

just make them functional.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom