I want you | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I want you

I was watching this game in my living room with Tom W. and his fiancée. As I’m a man of my word, I’ll say it. As I said to them, if we pull this off, I’ll do an about-face on Boeheim.

The way he’s prepared this team to play the defense it has through three NCAA tournament games thus far shows that he has some gas left in the tank.

I’m big enough to admit that I’m wrong.
The way this post started off about watching a game with your BF and Fiancée , I was worried that it would be a VP Dense "I had to leave the room..."

That would be BS of epic proportions. If you'd qualified it with "on offense" I could have let it slide. We just beat a top team and one of the best coaches in CBB history. Give me a break!

I think he posted that a couple days ago

Boeheim has figured out how to make the zone a lethal weapon in the tournament. It has been this way since 2010. In our last two tournament appearances, he’s taken flawed teams with a combined seeding of 21 and gone 6-1 (and counting). If you can’t give the guy some credit, well I just don’t know where your head is at.
Amen, HoustonCuse! (Coming at ya from The Woodlands, btw.)

Today’s zone stats: We held Sparty to a season-low 0.88 points per possession (they averaged 1.15 PPP coming into today’s game). And we coaxed MSU into taking a season-high 37(!) 3FGAs - their average coming into the game was 20.2 attempts per game from 3-pt range. The zone is a major weapon!

umm. did you watch the games? we haven't exactly played well. Im thrilled we won these games, but it's not like there has been some sea change here. we could just as easily have been sent packing opening round...let's take the victories and enjoy them without trying to make some grand proclamations.
Oh puhleeze, Dude.
It’s become obvious that you and your ilk have lost all credibility.
Suck it up, admit you were wrong, and stop moving the goalposts.
At some point you just look silly.

This is a great run but it doesn't make up for his treatment of Tyler Roberson. Etan Thomas was right.
636188001593342975-USATSI-9761149.jpg

The offense is still terrible but the man is a genius at the zone and coaching game situations

crybabies that thought the game has passed Boeheim by to admit you were wrong.

What say you?

I admit that I wanted Mike Hopkins to take over the Program two years ago - I felt he had paid his dues - was promised the job and deserved to get it.

Having said that, I am impressed by what Coach Boeheim and the team have done this post-season.

The game certainly has not passed by Jim Boeheim.

Today was a lot of fun!

Boeheim’s coaching through the foul trouble and after Bridge’s dunk changed my mind.

He still has it.

I was wrong.
Thankfully it was an afternoon game and he hadn't gotten too sleepy yet, ya know?

We've beaten the 8th, 9th and 11th most efficient offensive teams in the country (according to a radio analyst). We've beaten 3 teams who average over 80ppg and who all scored in the 50's. We've held these 3 teams each to an average of 28 points fewer than their season PPG.

DEFENSE

We've beaten the 8th, 9th and 11th most efficient offensive teams in the country (according to a radio analyst). We've beaten 3 teams who average over 80ppg and who all scored in the 50's. We've held these 3 teams each to an average of 28 points fewer than their season PPG.

DEFENSE
Impossible for anyone to argue with. The zone is awesome and is the reason we are still dancing. Jimmy is the master

The roster management has driven me nuts recently and that’s been my biggest complaint, but there’s no doubt he’s turned himself into one of the best tournament coaches the past 5 or 6 years.

If we can find a couple more guys who can make shots we can win our second title with the way we defend most years.

Last edited:
Oh puhleeze, Dude.
It’s become obvious that you and your ilk have lost all credibility.
Suck it up, admit you were wrong, and stop moving the goalposts.
At some point you just look silly.

actually, Im not one of the "bashers" that you speak of. I also am unsure of what goalposts Im moving. I never set up any goal posts to begin with. I was simply stating nothing has really changed from before the tourney started to the present in terms of the actual quality of play of the team.

The OP was posting as if some incredible paradigm shift had taken place when the reality is we won three games we easily could have lost and what was true before remains true now from a big picture perspective. From an immediate perspective an immense amount has changed as we went from irrelevant a little over a week ago to one of the final 16 teams standing.

Finally, I certainly don't seek any credibility from anyone on this or any other board. If you seek credibility from message boards, it is a might sad state of affairs for you.

Boeheim’s coaching through the foul trouble and after Bridge’s dunk changed my mind.

He still has it.

I was wrong.

No offense, but I think that's only part of it. I thought it was more about the rest of the players playing through it. Seriously, they were practically heroic. What incredible hustle and hard work while they were all running on fumes. But in the end, certainly a product of both effects.

The fact that we ended the game with essentially a walk on playing clutch minutes tells you the razor thin margin we have. I think it was Spinarkle that stated during the broadcast that coach told him before the game that the center position is the only one where we really cannot afford foul trouble. I thought that was a rather curious statement seeing as though we have NO actual backup guards.

actually, Im not one of the "bashers" that you speak of. I also am unsure of what goalposts Im moving. I never set up any goal posts to begin with. I was simply stating nothing has really changed from before the tourney started to the present in terms of the actual quality of play of the team.

The OP was posting as if some incredible paradigm shift had taken place when the reality is we won three games we easily could have lost and what was true before remains true now from a big picture perspective. From an immediate perspective an immense amount has changed as we went from irrelevant a little over a week ago to one of the final 16 teams standing.

Finally, I certainly don't seek any credibility from anyone on this or any other board. If you seek credibility from message boards, it is a might sad state of affairs for you.

811CBBAD-5B96-4869-B2D3-7EF0FF572E85.gif

Don't worry, the next time JB is "out-coached" by a Krzyzewski, a Calipari, or a Williams, the haters will be back. Actually, they'll be back long before that, the very next time we lose.

Personally, I think the notion that any of these guys are routinely "out-coached" is patently ridiculous on many levels. For example, I don't think Boeheim out-coached Izzo yesterday. Do you honestly think Izzo didn't try to implement things that his long experience has taught him would work, in order to overcome what Cuse was doing and win the game?

He did try to make adjustments, and they were likely pretty good adjustments, for the most part. His players simply weren't able to execute in yesterday's game. Syracuse players executed better what JB told them and here we are.

Boeheim and other long-tenured coaches at major programs haven't gotten where they are - and remained in their positions - without understanding basketball fundamentals, the modern game, or how to get the best out of their players.

That doesn't mean Jim - and all the others - don't make a boneheaded move or a bad call from time to time. They all do, because they're human and basketball is pretty much just like the rest of life... filled with imperfect people trying to do the best they can with what they've got to work with.

I'm not saying it isn't reasonable to question things the coach does on a board like this. It is and we should, and the debate and conversation that ensues is often stimulating and enjoyable. Who knows, maybe even helpful in some way.

There are good times and bad times to do this, of course, and right after one of the most improbable wins in program history is not a good time.

But to say Boeheim has lost his edge, or the game has passed him by, or some other such foolishness is, as I said, ridiculous. He has 42 years of accumulated basketball coaching knowledge and experience, and he's a committed basketball junkie and student of the game. He watches basketball at every level, from high school to the NBA, and understands the game better than everyone but an elite few.

Passed him by? Please do yourselves, and the rest of us, a favor. Get a new schtick.

Don't worry, the next time JB is "out-coached" by a Krzyzewski, a Calipari, or a Williams, the haters will be back. Actually, they'll be back long before that, the very next time we lose.

Personally, I think the notion that any of these guys are routinely "out-coached" is patently ridiculous on many levels. For example, I don't think Boeheim out-coached Izzo yesterday. Do you honestly think Izzo didn't try to implement things that his long experience has taught him would work, in order to overcome what Cuse was doing and win the game?

He did try to make adjustments, and they were likely pretty good adjustments, for the most part. His players simply weren't able to execute in yesterday's game. Syracuse players executed better what JB told them and here we are.

Boeheim and other long-tenured coaches at major programs haven't gotten where they are - and remained in their positions - without understanding basketball fundamentals, the modern game, or how to get the best out of their players.

That doesn't mean Jim - and all the others - don't make a boneheaded move or a bad call from time to time. They all do, because they're human and basketball is pretty much just like the rest of life... filled with imperfect people trying to do the best they can with what they've got to work with.

I'm not saying it isn't reasonable to question things the coach does on a board like this. It is and we should, and the debate and conversation that ensues is often stimulating and enjoyable. Who knows, maybe even helpful in some way.

There are good times and bad times to do this, of course, and right after one of the most improbable wins in program history is not a good time.

But to say Boeheim has lost his edge, or the game has passed him by, or some other such foolishness is, as I said, ridiculous. He has 42 years of accumulated basketball coaching knowledge and experience, and he's a committed basketball junkie and student of the game. He watches basketball at every level, from high school to the NBA, and understands the game better than everyone but an elite few.

Passed him by? Please do yourselves, and the rest of us, a favor. Get a new schtick.
I wish I had the energy to completely follow that delight up. Reading that at 430 for me was like my 3rd breakfast. Completely agree about the outcoached etc rarely does that happen. Mr. Boeheim has severely thru the course of his entire time out recruited all of these guys. And his system is what it is.. One of the best of all time in college basketball.

While you may not consider this run as an indication of much of a change, the idea that the game had passed JB by should have been dispelled prior to this run. The future was bright, and the future remains bright, and those that didn't see this should get on board. The worries expressed at the end of last year have been answered prior to this gravy run.

Recruiting is back to stellar levels with well known studs coming in - Baz and Carey (he can still recruit big names in the traditional way). The last group of players brought in were/are excellent - OB and MD (he can still identify under the radar talent). JB/SU has moved away from the reliance on grad trannies and is going back to good developmental players who will pay their dues -see those who give up a year, either red-shirting or by normal transfer, which means they are serious about staying - PC, MM, Hughes, probably HW, and now even Buddy (team building and continuity). And if anyone had forgotten, this run once again shows that JB is currently one of the top in-game coaches in the country (game day coaching and to the chagrin of many -the zone).

So while most here now can see the bright future, many don't want to acknowledge it, the "I'll give him credit when the results are in" crowd. Now that good results are coming in early, a lot of the critics are/should be scrambling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom