I want you | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I want you

I swore he forgot that Chukwu had four fouls instead of five. I had no idea why he left Sidibe in for so long.

But I guess he knew what he was doing.

Personally, I thought that was his best move in the game.

This is a great run but it doesn't make up for his treatment of Tyler Roberson. Etan Thomas was right.
636188001593342975-USATSI-9761149.jpg
Apparently you hold a grudge longer than Etan.He spoke at Hendricks Chapel about 3 weeks ago as part of a lecture series and had this to say about JB after Boeheim introduced him:

On Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim's role in allowing him to pursue activism: "My first week at Syracuse me and a football player, Roland Williams were on campus, right out there. There was a big rally. They were protesting the campus security being able to use pepper spray. The thought was that if they were using pepper spray the first people they'd use it on was us at the underground parties, the Schine parties. If there's a little altercation, a little argument, they would pepper spray everyone. That was the fear. ...

"We were at the rally, you have everyone in the background and you have me and Roland Williams. That was on the cover of The Daily Orange. That was my first week on campus. Coach, I don't know if he remembers this, but he pulls me into his office and says, 'So you're into a lot of different stuff, huh?' He said, 'That's good. If you use your position and you speak out make sure that you can back it up.' That's all he said. Later on I got what he meant because you have to be able to defend your position. You have to articulate it. People are going to try to discredit you so you have to be able to defend your position. People have asked me if I felt any pushback at Syracuse. I didn't. I felt very supportive coaches. ..."I talk about Coach Boeheim and how he used his moment. It was when he had a big number of wins (900) and he used that moment to talk about gun reform. It was after one of the shootings and it's so terrible that there have been so many that I don't remember which one (it was Sandy Hook), but he used that moment to talk about gun reform."

Did Boeheim go overboard in his comments about Roberson? Probably yes, and Etan was right to criticize him, but I think there s evidence on this board that Roberson and family have gotten over it.

Last edited:
Don't worry, the next time JB is "out-coached" by a Krzyzewski, a Calipari, or a Williams, the haters will be back. Actually, they'll be back long before that, the very next time we lose.

Personally, I think the notion that any of these guys are routinely "out-coached" is patently ridiculous on many levels. For example, I don't think Boeheim out-coached Izzo yesterday. Do you honestly think Izzo didn't try to implement things that his long experience has taught him would work, in order to overcome what Cuse was doing and win the game?

He did try to make adjustments, and they were likely pretty good adjustments, for the most part. His players simply weren't able to execute in yesterday's game. Syracuse players executed better what JB told them and here we are.

Boeheim and other long-tenured coaches at major programs haven't gotten where they are - and remained in their positions - without understanding basketball fundamentals, the modern game, or how to get the best out of their players.

That doesn't mean Jim - and all the others - don't make a boneheaded move or a bad call from time to time. They all do, because they're human and basketball is pretty much just like the rest of life... filled with imperfect people trying to do the best they can with what they've got to work with.

I'm not saying it isn't reasonable to question things the coach does on a board like this. It is and we should, and the debate and conversation that ensues is often stimulating and enjoyable. Who knows, maybe even helpful in some way.

There are good times and bad times to do this, of course, and right after one of the most improbable wins in program history is not a good time.

But to say Boeheim has lost his edge, or the game has passed him by, or some other such foolishness is, as I said, ridiculous. He has 42 years of accumulated basketball coaching knowledge and experience, and he's a committed basketball junkie and student of the game. He watches basketball at every level, from high school to the NBA, and understands the game better than everyone but an elite few.

Passed him by? Please do yourselves, and the rest of us, a favor. Get a new schtick.

Izzo sh-- the bed by not pressing us after Howard went out. It still makes absolutely no sense to me that he didn't attack us when we were weakened. JB and the zone have been fantastic this tournament, but had Izzo done just that one thing, this thread doesn't exist.

Izzo sh-- the bed by not pressing us after Howard went out. It still makes absolutely no sense to me that he didn't attack us when we were weakened. JB and the zone have been fantastic this tournament, but had Izzo done just that one thing, this thread doesn't exist.
And maybe he crapped it by not going after Howard harder while he was still in the game.

The last group of players brought in were/are excellent - OB and MD (he can still identify under the radar talent).

And the fact he recruited Marek off film alone, which he stated he basically never does, means he's willing to take a big risk when he feels the potential payoff is big enough. Good sign, in my opinion.

Yep, huge huge tactical error by Izzo. Those last few crazy possessions by us showed he made a big mistake.

Apparently you hold a grudge longer than Etan.He spoke at Hendricks Chapel about 3 weeks ago as part of a lecture series and had this to say about JB after Boeheim introduced him:

On Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim's role in allowing him to pursue activism: "My first week at Syracuse me and a football player, Roland Williams were on campus, right out there. There was a big rally. They were protesting the campus security being able to use pepper spray. The thought was that if they were using pepper spray the first people they'd use it on was us at the underground parties, the Schine parties. If there's a little altercation, a little argument, they would pepper spray everyone. That was the fear. ...

"We were at the rally, you have everyone in the background and you have me and Roland Williams. That was on the cover of The Daily Orange. That was my first week on campus. Coach, I don't know if he remembers this, but he pulls me into his office and says, 'So you're into a lot of different stuff, huh?' He said, 'That's good. If you use your position and you speak out make sure that you can back it up.' That's all he said. Later on I got what he meant because you have to be able to defend your position. You have to articulate it. People are going to try to discredit you so you have to be able to defend your position. People have asked me if I felt any pushback at Syracuse. I didn't. I felt very supportive coaches. ..."I talk about Coach Boeheim and how he used his moment. It was when he had a big number of wins (900) and he used that moment to talk about gun reform. It was after one of the shootings and it's so terrible that there have been so many that I don't remember which one (it was Sandy Hook), but he used that moment to talk about gun reform."

Did Boeheim go overboard in his comments about Roberson? Probably yes, and Etan was right to criticize him, but I think there s evidence on this board that Roberson and family have gotten over it.

Thanks for posting that - great exchange between Boeheim and Etan.

Tbonezone really is the new Igor. A ghost after this win

Eh, he was in a bunch of threads saying positive things yesterday: https://syracusefan.com/search/37195136/

He's negative sometimes and I can't stand his unwillingness to concede that crappy officiating has an effect on the game, but he's obviously a fan of the team. Way more, based on their respective posting histories, than people like the OP who apparently are only here to pick fights with other posters.

Tbonezone really is the new Igor. A ghost after this win
Lots of regulars are conspicuously absent from some of these threads. Probably still celebrating the wins.

Eh, he was in a bunch of threads saying positive things yesterday: https://syracusefan.com/search/37195136/

He's negative sometimes and I can't stand his unwillingness to concede that crappy officiating has an effect on the game, but he's obviously a fan of the team. Way more, based on their respective posting histories, than people like the OP who apparently are only here to pick fights with other posters.

Yeah? I've been a fan since 1980. I'm not here to pick a fight, but to make a point. Which I did. So mission accomplished.

this was a post about other posters, which honestly would not be allowed if we lost and someone said "WHERE IS EVERYONE SAYING JB IS THE BEST". The post would be gone in a second.

As a card carrying member and President-Emeritus of the JB Fan Club, let me say that this post season has been most enjoyable, no matter what happens next.

In my nearly 50 years on this planet, I can think of only 1 other coach of my teams who has been better at his job than JB. And he did it for only 1/2 year we will say.

JB is better than Parcells.

Better than Torre.

Better than Coughlin.

Better than Billy or better than Girardi.

Better than Mac or P.

Better than Keenan or even Holzman.

Only guy in his stratosphere is Herb Brooks from July of 1979 till February of 1980.

That’s it.

He can coach forever as far as I’m concerned.

All the haters can go do u know what to themselves.

this was a post about other posters, which honestly would not be allowed if we lost and someone said "WHERE IS EVERYONE SAYING JB IS THE BEST". The post would be gone in a second.

Honestly, I thought it would be gone immediately. Glad it's not. I posted it after the TCU game after about 10 delicious IPA's and a Guinness, so even if we had lost yesterday, my point would still have been correct. Clearly, JB hasn't forgotten how to coach, the game hasn't passed him by, and he's not too old to still be a great coach. Yesterday was just more evidence that Boeheim IS still a great coach, despite having a very limited team. He's done a great job and doesn't get the credit that he deserves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom