I was very impressed with Minnesota tonight | Syracusefan.com

I was very impressed with Minnesota tonight

2-3zone

2nd String
I know it was Wofford but Minnesota was missing their starting center and starting power forward and made Wofford look awful. Minnesota played hard nose in your face D, full court press, shot the 3 well and looked crisp and in mid season form

Monday will be a big time challenge for SU

Sounds like a team coached by Rick Pitino's son. Same type of intensity. But if SU plays inspired ball, they win.

Saw Minnesota from up close last week against Richmond. Minnesota was in control of the game throughout. They are a good team who really gets after it on the defensive end. They play tight man to man D and have some scorers. I think it will be a tight game.

No offense, but some of the posts in this thread are too much.

Let me offer an alternate / insider perspective. One of my coworkers / good friends here in Minneapolis is a former Gophers basketball player. He is a former top 100 recruit, who had scholarship offers from St. John's, Uconn, Marquette [in the Tom Crean era], and Miami amongst others. Guy tore his ACL and ended up being a backup big for the majority of his career, but played against the likes of Greg Oden. He played there in the last decade, and is still fairly close to the program as a recent alum.

We've been going back and forth about this game ever since it got announced. This morning, we talked about the Wofford game, and he indicated that he doesn't read much into the shooting performance by Minnesota because it was against such a heavily overmatched opponent. He wasn't remotely impressed that they were able to press Wofford into oblivion, and is scared about the number of easy scores they'll give up playing that style when they play a good opponent that can handle their press. He said that Wofford was miniscule--their tallest starter was like 6-5--which is why their bigs had such strong games. His prediction is that we blow them out.

I'm not suggesting that this will come to pass. Or that we are going to come out and merely outclass Minnesota by walking on the floor on Monday. Quite frankly, i'm more concerned about this game than I was after the egg we laid on Monday on both ends of the floor [on a personal level, I'll never hear the end of it if we somehow lose to these guys on Monday--really, really, really want to win this !@#$ game]. But I think people are overstating how good Minnesota is by a WIDE margin. They have one good scoring guard [Andre Hollins] who is all big 10 caliber, and the rest of the squad is pretty untalented. They compensate with relentless full court pressing, with Dick Pitino emulating his father's system, but they are a one-trick pony. No doubt--they'll get hot from three early, but the question is whether or not they'll be able to sustain that, and whether or not their press bothers us. Their frontcourt is significantly depleted. Let me state that again: their frontcourt is lousy, and they are down several players.

Doesn't mean that we don't have to play well--certainly, better than we did on Monday--but let's stop pretending these guys are even top half of the Big Ten. Given the way they play, I view them as being a lot closer to Depaul than Michigan State.

Last edited:
This will be a tough game. Our big men better come to play (especially on the defensive end and rebounding). This will give us a better or worse feel as to whether or not our bigs are ready

This will be a tough game. Our big men better come to play (especially on the defensive end and rebounding). This will give us a better or worse feel as to whether or not our bigs are ready
They got zero front court, their best front court player just had jaw surgery yesterday. This is villanova without a Cunningham down low. We have to be worried with their defense, that's the only thing I'm worried about to be honest. We win this by 10+.

They got zero front court, their best front court player just had jaw surgery yesterday. This is villanova without a Cunningham down low. We have to be worried with their defense, that's the only thing I'm worried about to be honest. We win this by 10+.
Eliason did have 11 rebs and 7 blocks last night.

I am not donning him Alonzo Mourning all of a sudden but our bigs havent exactly lit up the world against lesser talent so I think it will be a good test for them

I hear ya and in theory this is all true. I'm concerned as well about their D but lets be realistic about these SU bigs. We don't really feed the post and our centers can't score. They have no post moves. Coleman is showing some signs of life but when have we dominated a team and imposed our will with great C play?

I've never understood this. What exactly is "inspired ball"?
I don't know, but it sure sounds good.

I guess it means that they actually play with lots of passion, effort, and movement on O and D, and oh yeah, make some darn shots too.

I hear ya and in theory this is all true. I'm concerned as well about their D but lets be realistic about these SU bigs. We don't really feed the post and our centers can't score. They have no post moves. Coleman is showing some signs of life but when have we dominated a team and imposed our will with great C play?
I have a feeling one of the three centers will be shaky potatoes. As long as 1 goes shaky potatoes a night we are good.

The key to getting a win will be the play of our back court meaning Ennis and Cooney. We aren't going to blow anyone out.

Let's face it, we don't stand a chance on Monday. 1st off, this is the biggest test for SU in decades! (read "ever") Also, I've heard from the ex wife of a former big 10 talent evaluator who once played for Al McGuire when he coached Marquette that the inside buzz is that Richard Pitino will be wearing an earpiece that will enable him to hear the instructions from his father Rick Pitino and that essentially we will be playing a team which is being coached by proxy!!!!! That's right, Minnesota will actually be coached by Rick Pitino Sr. on Monday and we may even see Kevin Ware dress out as a Minnesota player to act as a special "Louisville Liaison for Victory"

I know, it seems hard to believe but you better believe it baby! The bad blood between Rick Sr. and Jimmy B. runs deeper than you could ever imagine and this game is Rick Sr's way of twisting the knife while kick starting juniors team! Really unnecessary since the Cuse is so, so deeply flawed and hopelessly over rated. They clearly have been struggling and the razor thin victory margins prove that the team is in for a rough season.

Cuse by at least 10. book it!

The key to getting a win will be the play of our back court meaning Ennis and Cooney. We aren't going to blow anyone out.

The key to this game will be CJ and Grant. Minnesota doesn't have anyone who can match up with either of them. They BOTH need to bounce back and have good games. If they do, we'll be fine.

My biggest concern with SU is I don't think they will score the ball against good defensive teams. They will struggle to put up 60 points. Key on Cooney and make other players beat you from the perimeter. CJ is a good player, but he can be guarded. Force him to his right and he is done. We saw it the other night. We have nothing inside and Grant can only score from point blank range. I hope I'm wrong, but we might be lucky to come out of Maui with two wins.

The key to this game will be CJ and Grant. Minnesota doesn't have anyone who can match up with either of them. They BOTH need to bounce back and have good games. If they do, we'll be fine.
minn has zero players ranked as high as our top ten

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom