I'd like to make something clear | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I'd like to make something clear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because that was linked from a message board on a poker website. These are interviews with two men who say they personally were molested by the associate head coach of one of the best basketball programs in the country. One is moronic reporting. The other is reporting you don't agree with.

You got to be kidding. How is this any more credible? If I said I was molested by Obama FOX NEWS wouldn't put me on TV without some proof. And they are biased!

Yes, he should not assign guilt. But he's done everything else right. It sounds to me like his emotions got the best of him. He's human. It happens, even though it should not.

Are you at least willing to admit he's done a crappy job on this story? Piss. Poor. Job. Period.

Ah, the wonderful message board defense. He's a horrid reporter and always has been based on one television appearance.

Yes, he should not assign guilt. But he's done everything else right. It sounds to me like his emotions got the best of him. He's human. It happens, even though it should not.

Any other school and you wouldn't care less about his tone. If it was Rutgers, you'd probably be agreeing with him 100%.

Gotta disagree with you there. I hate that crap when reporters spin stories. Hate it. I wouldn't accept it if I saw it being done to PSU either and I have no love for Penn State, believe me.

Saying maybe his emotions got the best of him means you probably should retract your original post. He blew it.

This isn't a kill the messenger thing. He crossed the line. I'm willing to believe that BF did it and JB suspected it but that doesn't change the fact that Schwarz is acting like a snake oil salesman.

Lemoyne, get off your high horse. No one on this board would defend Fine if he is guilty. But we can see a reporter not doing a fair job. Did he ever mention that he spoke with Fine and Fine refused to speak with him? Did he ever give Fine the chance to defend hismself? He had an agenda. It was obviously a story too good to check. When this night started, I thought Fine must be guilty. I mean they must have a lot to go on the air with charges like this. But all they have that they didn't have before was the kid's relative. You have to have more. the charges are too serious.

Yes, he should not assign guilt. But he's done everything else right. It sounds to me like his emotions got the best of him. He's human. It happens, even though it should not..

Isn't that the whole point of being a good journalist? Basically, you're saying he did a great job except he assigned guilt (CHILD MOLESTER - not a recruiting violation or something minor) and let his emotions control how he reported the story. Umm - that seems like he's a pretty sh!tty journalist if that's "all" he did.

And although I've come around to doubt the accusations, I still believe there was some strange behavior on Bernie's part, and want the whole investigation to come out.

I think there are many reporters worth white-knighting but I'm not familiar enough with Schwarz to do so.

The print reports seem incomplete and rushed and I'm getting the tingle that someone somewhere is trying to compensate for some really poor initial coverage of the PSU scandal and making sure to be first on the next big thing.

Schwarz's name's attached to it, he has the power to say no to his bosses if he wasn't behind it.

Anyone that runs a story like this without going to the police has beef with us.
Even if he has to go with a different police department.

He knew he would be upsetting alot of fans. That is basic science every action has a positive negative reaction.

If he had no beef he would have gotten facts first. Not some freedom fight to push harder for them. Not a fan already.

Why are you ignoring the other points being made in the thread about the $5000?

Because I hadn't seen them yet.

The question is when Davis told the Post-Standard that piece of information. Was it back in 2002 or 2003, two years before Schwarz worked with this story the first time? The PS story was never published and the paper is under no obligation to share anything with Schwarz. Therefore, he may not have known.

If Schwarz only has what Davis told him to go off of, there's no reason to believe that Schwarz even knew about the debt.

Schwarz could have felt it wasn't important to the story, forgot about it, or specifically left it out because it didn't back up his case. I'm making many assumptions here. The guy is human.

I'm just guessing here, but journalism isn't the world many of you seem to think it is.

Anyone that runs a story like this without going to the police has beef with us.
Even if he has to go with a different police department.

He knew he would be upsetting alot of fans. That is basic science every action has a positive negative reaction.

If he had no beef he would have gotten facts first. Not some freedom fight to push harder for them. Not a fan already.

He did get facts. He interviewed Davis several times and didn't run the story until he had Lane to back it up.

Many Watergate articles ran with less source material than this, and those pieces turned out to be sadly very true.

Schwarz could have felt it wasn't important to the story, forgot about it, or specifically left it out because it didn't back up his case. I'm making many assumptions here. The guy is human.

I'm just guessing here, but journalism isn't the world many of you seem to think it is.

Not good enough. Bernie Fine's life could be RUINED. You have an obligation to tell the whole story.

He got what he thought was a big story and didn't do enough background research before going on the air. Probably not a friable offense, but he absolutely deserves to be raked over the coals for it.

I might not be a journalism major, but it isn't freakin' rocket science chief...

Not good enough. Bernie Fine's life could be RUINED. You have an obligation to tell the whole story.

And he has every right to sue for financial damages if it is. Schwarz and his editors felt he had enough to go forward. I trust their judgment more than any fan of Syracuse basketball.

And although I've come around to doubt the accusations, I still believe there was some strange behavior on Bernie's part, and want the whole investigation to come out.

It will. Investigative journalism is a moving thing that is often aided and helped along by the turmoil it creates after an initial story is released.

He got what he thought was a big story and didn't do enough background research before going on the air. Probably not a friable offense, but he absolutely deserves to be raked over the coals for it.

I might not be a journalism major, but it isn't freakin' rocket science chief...

Yeah? And how much background information is enough? He's been sitting on this story for six years and it didn't run back in 2005 because his editors or producers didn't think there was enough information to go with at the time. But having a second source changes everything. It's Journalism 101.

And he has every right to sue for financial damages if it is. Schwarz and his editors felt he had enough to go forward. I trust their judgment more than any fan of Syracuse basketball.

Reputation >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> financial damages. And the reputation is what you never get back.

I'm terrified that you think it's OK to trash a man's reputation because he can always get a little cash back if it turns out you were wrong. Like that's a fair trade. Frankly, your attitude is sickening.

You got to be kidding. How is this any more credible? If I said I was molested by Obama FOX NEWS wouldn't put me on TV without some proof. And they are biased!

No. MSNBC is biased. Sorry, that should have been on the OT board. ;)

Schwarz is an investigative journalist. His job is to wade through a sea of conflicting information and interpret as best he can

Are you kidding? Wading through conflicting information? The guy took one side of the story as gospel, and stated it as such.

I pride myself on being a skeptic, and I went to watch the report online, really looking to see how over exaggerated people were in knocking the report.

After watching, I don't think it's possible to over exaggerate how piss poor the reporting was. At first Schwarz uses words like alleged and what not, but that all disappears the more he talked. Most disgraceful was his response to the question "why not reported on in 2003?". The response was no one was brave enough and because it's a taboo thing. Forget about the fact that now in 2011 the person who does back-up the accusation is a relative.

That was disgraceful reporting. Schwarz is give himself the role of judge, jury and executioner. The guy saw his chance at breaking the big story, and he stepped over the line.

Yeah? And how much background information is enough? He's been sitting on this story for six years and it didn't run back in 2005 because his editors or producers didn't think there was enough information to go with at the time. But having a second source changes everything. It's Journalism 101.

Yea a second source, who just happens to be a relative LOL

It will. Investigative journalism is a moving thing that is often aided and helped along by the turmoil it creates after an initial story is released.
You're really flippant over the possibility that Bernie's reputation is forever ruined regardless of the veracity of the claims.

Reputation >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> financial damages. And the reputation is what you never get back.

I'm terrified that you think it's OK to trash a man's reputation because he can always get a little cash back if it turns out you were wrong. Like that's a fair trade. Frankly, your attitude is sickening.

You know what's more sickening? A message board full of adults who are attacking a journalist for bringing to light allegations that a grown man in a position of prestige may have a long history of sexually molesting boys.

Yea a second source, who just happens to be a relative LOL

I would think that it would be important to assess the credibility of your second source before you ran with the story, but I learned from LemoyneCuse tonight that's not true - any old drunk meth addict will suffice as your second source to print a story. So I learned something new today - thanks, L-Cuse!

He has 0 facts he has a few gay sounding guys saying they were touched.

You don't just throw a story out there that the police aren't involved in yet.

You know what's more sickening? A message board full of adults who are attacking a journalist for bringing to light allegations that a grown man in a position of prestige may have a long history of sexually molesting boys.

off, .

The story proceeding isn't the issue for me. It's the presumption of guilt by Fine that makes it "bad" journalism.

Cheers,
Neil

You're really flippant over the possibility that Bernie's reputation is forever ruined regardless of the veracity of the claims.

That's because other people's reputations don't mean to LemoyneCuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom