I'd like to make something clear | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I'd like to make something clear

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what's more sickening? A message board full of adults who are attacking a journalist for bringing to light allegations that a grown man in a position of prestige may have a long history of sexually molesting boys.

He didn't bring it to light himself. The Post-Standard reported on it and investigated it back in 2003. Not one person here is blaming the P-S or upset with the P-S. This is because the P-S reported facts: that two individuals made allegations against Bernie Fine. The P-S also reported about other aspects of the claim. It did not assign guilt. That's what responsible journalists do.

That's all you've got? A guy was doing what he thought was right and I'm the a-hole for not taking the homer defense? You're pathetic.

What do you do for a living?

That's because other people's reputations don't mean **** to LemoyneCuse.

Of course that matters to me. It's really sad that Bernie is forever damaged because of this, true or not. Unfortunately, that's the world we live in.

But you can't ignore that bad things happen, and 9 times out of 10 these kinds of allegations are proven to be true.

He has 0 facts he has a few gay sounding guys saying they were touched.

You don't just throw a story out there that the police aren't involved in yet.

What does their perceived sexuality have to do with anything?

You know what's more sickening? A message board full of adults who are attacking a journalist for bringing to light allegations that a grown man in a position of prestige may have a long history of sexually molesting boys.

Hes doing more than just bringing the allegations to light. Hes basically accusing him of being a child molester not because of facts or evidence, but because the guy's step brother is backing up the story. Why he didnt back up the story in 2005 id love to know, but im sure mark schwartz wont bother to find out.

What do you do for a living?

Former news producer at YNN and now a graduate student in Media Studies at SU, where I also TA in the Broadcast Journalism department.

Sorry. Can't let you get away with that.

He was selling. Not reporting. If he just repeated or summarized what the accusers said, you could make the case that it was premature but not that it was yellow journalism.

This was bad journalism.

Of course that matters to me. It's really sad that Bernie is forever damaged because of this, true or not. Unfortunately, that's the world we live in.

But you can't ignore that bad things happen, and 9 times out of 10 these kinds of allegations are proven to be true.

9 out of 10? Do you have proof of these numbers? Or was this in Journalism 101 too?

Didn't espn say he was a ball boy 12 years earlier? Now they are saying 6.

9 out of 10? Do you have proof of these numbers? Or was this in Journalism 101 too?

Just a total guess. But the only libel case I can think of from a news piece that was won by the defendant was Winn Dixie case where an ABC news team deliberately deceived the grocery store to gain access. And I can think of several successful investigate pieces involving sports off the top of my head.

Binghamton basketball, St Bona basketball, Sandusky, etc...

Hey LeMoyne,

Did that report feel incomplete - or a rush job - to you? There'd be no other reason to not have the report airtight unless you felt someone else was about to break the story, so let's get out in front, own it, stand by it, we'll be proven right.

Makes me wonder if Yahoo! Sports is also on the case or something. Damn, doesn't that Nevin Shapiro story seem like 10 years ago?

Just a total guess. But the only libel case I can think of from a news piece that was won by the defendant was Winn Dixie case where an ABC news team deliberately deceived the grocery store to gain access. And I can think of several successful investigate pieces involving sports off the top of my head.

A TA in SU's Broadcast Journalism department making up statistics?

smh

Cheers,
Neil

Just because something doesn't give rise to the incredibly difficult legal standards necessary for a libel action (as you point out) does not mean that 9/10 stories are proven to be true.

Ah yeah, Food Lion. Barbecue sauce hides all.

Good to see that you set the standard of "good journalism" at "didn't lose a libel suit". Considering how hard libel is to prove, that seems like an excessively broad standard. But that broad standard benefits you personally as a journalist, so I suppose that makes sense...

Why LOL? You asked a question and I gave you an honest answer.

Because it was obvious. You were/are coming off like Capt. Journalist. I think we get it...some book in your classes says 2 sources = a story.

You mentioned the Binghamton story...Why don't you ask Pete Thamel how many sources he had before he felt comfortable going forward with it. ...and that was just about a basketball program. This is about labeling someone as a PEDOPHILE for life.

Hey LeMoyne,

Did that report feel incomplete - or a rush job - to you? There'd be no other reason to not have the report airtight unless you felt someone else was about to break the story, so let's get out in front, own it, stand by it, we'll be proven right.

Makes me wonder if Yahoo! Sports is also on the case or something. Damn, doesn't that Nevin Shapiro story seem like 10 years ago?

I really feel it's an effort to capitalize on PSU on both ends. The events in State College could have prompted a second person to come forward. If both say they've been touched by Coach Fine, that's two people making the same story. By print standards, that's enough to go on. Is it fair? From this perspective, absolutely not.

Could Schwarz have collected more sources and more information? Of course. There's always more of that available. But this is a business and a brutal, cut-throat one at that.

If this turns out to be false, it is a real tragedy that Coach Fine was caught in this meat grinder. But that's the business.

Good to see that you set the standard of "good journalism" at "didn't lose a libel suit". Considering how hard libel is to prove, that seems like an excessively broad standard. But that broad standard benefits you personally as a journalist, so I suppose that makes sense...

His attitude is why people hate the media. The Post-Standard should really be commended for being responsible and just reporting the facts.

9 time out of 10, really? Where did you find that statistic? Is that for allegations that are in a tv report, or are 90% of all allegations true? I'd love to read that study if you have the link. It must be fascinating.

Yes, he should nhuman. It happens, even though ot assign guilt. But he's done everything else right. It sounds to me like his emotions got the best of him. He's it should not..

THIS is the kind S..T that puts journalists in the same bag as politicians !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom