Idea to get more students to games | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Idea to get more students to games

Then you should realize that every program has down periods.

And it happens to almost all schools, not just Syracuse. I know Ohio State even had a struggle with student tickets a few years ago when the program went 6-6.

Boston also has a much larger and denser metro area than Syracuse--and there are suburbs, which are really non-existant up here. They have enough people to handle all that, so really, we are on even footing.
i lived in Boston for 2 years and when i wasnt coming home for every home game to syracuse or going to an away cuse game i would try and get people to go to eagles games...not a single person i met had any interest in college sports. Not a single one. I went to an Eagles game alone once...yea thats pretty sad.

We should make the student section for football the opposite corner of the topps family fun zone and give the student section seats to the locals that go to games.

Yeah, make us the only student section in all of college football that puts all its students in the upper deck corner. That'll show them.

The Wagner game had a full student section that overflowed to the other side of the band, and probably the least amount of total people a Dome football game has ever seen. So what to do, what to do...

i lived in Boston for 2 years and when i wasnt coming home for every home game to syracuse or going to an away cuse game i would try and get people to go to eagles games...not a single person i met had any interest in college sports. Not a single one. I went to an Eagles game alone once...yea thats pretty sad.
As I said, it's a bigger area, and though less people percentage-wise care about BC--partially because there are so many other schools in the city--in total sheerly because of numbers, they can still draw a decent amount of fans, sometimes selling out. But like SU recently, they're in a bit of a lull right now, football-wise.

My idea...find a way to attract a different "type" of student to SU.

Most of these kids are dorks. Offense meant, if the shoe fits.

IS all this being based on two non conference games against horrible opponents where we destroyed them?

How many of you guys at age 19 would go to an alcohol free pizza party at 10:30AM? Or sat though 4 hours of a blowout? Remember, mot of these kids cannot drink in the Dome.

Winning generally solves everything, and just like hoops and everyone else it's an event driven audience.

The other alternative is reunite The Mexican Mudd Band, have them be the in house music.

When I was 19, I was a sports fan like I am now. So were most of my friends and acquaintances. Definitely would've been there.

I guess the majority of those types of kids go to Brockport, Cortland, Oswego, Buff. State, etc. and not SU though.

My idea...find a way to attract a different "type" of student to SU.

Most of these kids are dorks. Offense meant, if the shoe fits.

It's moving further and further away from your ideal

I think the increasing amount of international students at S.U. is one thing to point at because they don't know the game at all. Having said that... someone on campus could be getting them to the games and teaching them the game.

This is where winning helps the most. Win and it becomes the in thing to be associated with the winner. Games are more fun when your team wins and you can actually expect them to win. When the program becomes a winner and students are back going to games...they eventually become alumni who will be more likely to come to a game after they graduate. The wins of the late 80s and 90s were a catalyst to good attendance in the 90s.

we didnt win much in the early 80s and the attendance was still good
Not really. It got a lot better as they started to win.

1981 6 229,861 38,310
1982 6 211,666 35,278
1983 6 204,777 34,130
1984 5 221,107 44,221
1985 6 231,377 38,563
1986 6 207,204 34,534
1987 6 266,938 44,490
1988 6 276,484 46,081
1989 6 293,308 48,885
1990 5 235,112 47,022

Last column is avg.

But your entire premise if off, because we don't have a good football program (right now). Most of the current students couldn't tell you the last time we were ranked in the Top 25.

He doesnt get it. He must think we are 13-0 every year. We have one of the bottom 25 college football programs right now in D1. Until we get to the top 40, things will not change.

You seem to not understand what a good football program is. It is not having a good record for the last 4 years. It is having a rich tradition with elite players at the highest level, being in the top 15 all time for wins. Syracuse went through a down period which EVERY single program has gone through including Bama, notre dame etc. I guess if you havent been around for the duration i could see you not understanding what we are as a program.

No one cares how good SU was in 1973. This is about the now. You seem very naive about the world and economics in general. We have been down for ten years. That scares any fan base away.

(and dont sell me on last year being a good year.. we beat one team worth anything)

We have one of the bottom 25 college football programs right now in D1. Until we get to the top 40, things will not change.

No one cares how good SU was in 1973.
(and dont sell me on last year being a good year.. we beat one team worth anything)
Probably two of the worst posts I have seen on this board! Oh Lord

He doesnt get it. He must think we are 13-0 every year. We have one of the bottom 25 college football programs right now in D1. Until we get to the top 40, things will not change.
We have one of the bottom 25 programs based on what? Of 125 teams, we are not among the bottom 25. That's silly talk.

We have one of the bottom 25 programs based on what? Of 125 teams, we are not among the bottom 25. That's silly talk.

I actually meant to write "50". must have hit the 2 in error. And yes, we are one of the bottom 50 teams. We certainly have been over the past decade as a whole. People seem to forget that during Robinson we were legitimately a bottom 10 team in America.

People here are hilarious. If you arent "rah rah" then you are shunned. I have had season tickets for 15 years, donate annually, and travel to at least one road game each year. i attend every game, regardless of record or opponent. there isnt a bigger SU fan than me, i just see the reality of how it is.

I actually meant to write "50". must have hit the 2 in error. And yes, we are one of the bottom 50 teams. We certainly have been over the past decade as a whole. People seem to forget that during Robinson we were legitimately a bottom 10 team in America.

People here are hilarious. If you arent "rah rah" then you are shunned. I have had season tickets for 15 years, donate annually, and travel to at least one road game each year. i attend every game, regardless of record or opponent. there isnt a bigger SU fan than me, i just see the reality of how it is.

We are not even bottom 50. When g rob was here yes. Last 4 years no. Bottom 50 don't win bowl games.

iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

Nah. There is a big difference in being not rah rah and saying we are in the bottom 25 or even 50. Sure, our program was in the dumps back when GRob was there. The program has improved since GRob left. It's not great, but in the top 75 as programs go. I have had season tickets since '92 and went to most home games from about '84 to '92. The GRob years left a mark but we shall overcome.

Every swype goes into a pool at the end of the football season a winner or two or three winners are drawn for prizes; free books up to $500 at the bookstore maybe 250 and 100 dollars for 2nd and 3rd

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Every swype goes into a pool at the end of the football season a winner or two or three winners are drawn for prizes; free books up to $500 at the bookstore maybe 250 and 100 dollars for 2nd and 3rd

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, free books are going to convince a kid to come out to the game... :rolleyes:

Yeah, free books are going to convince a kid to come out to the game... :rolleyes:
Or it could end up being like a giveaway day at the Saratoga Race Track where people enter, get their free item, and leave.

How about the students just go I mean I went to every game for 4 years. The reason the students typically don't go to Football games is the fact most of the games are 12pm. Students don't get up early I remember when me and RobCWhatUp and couple of friends got up ridiculously early to walk from South Campus to the Dome for a game at 12pm that is rare. Nothing is going to boost attendance anymore from the students unless we win more, or we give the students free tickets.

I agree...winning can cure a lot. And it is not just winning in general, it is winning at home. I mean, we did attend Cuse during one of the worst football eras in school history. We were the die-hards, made it to every game early, and stuck it out to the end. My life long passion for Orange football is what got me through all that. The general college student wasn't going to get up for a Noon game to watch a 1-aa team disguised as Syracuse crap the bed week in and week out. It is a long term process, let's just keep winning in the Dome and the students will come out, it will become the "hype" thing to do on campus (like most basketball games, especially the big ones).

No one cares how good SU was in 1973. This is about the now. You seem very naive about the world and economics in general. We have been down for ten years. That scares any fan base away.

So going to two bowls in 3 years after the robinson years isnt improvement? We beat a top ten 10 that was the talk of the country and we beat the SNOT out of them. We go into an SEC school with a great crowd in Mizzou and win. Does Syracuse have to go 11-0 for you to be happy after the grob era?

People that understand college football have GOT to see that we are progressing. We currently have better athletes, better leaders, and better guys at the skill positions than we had in the previous 12 years. Our recruiting is on its way back. I guess if you are just an average fan that doesnt pay attention to the ins and outs of the game you wouldnt notice anything but the scoreboard when you look at it on espn from your couch. If you go to the games and cannot see an obvious change in the positive direction with the program currently you are not football smart.

Nah. There is a big difference in being not rah rah and saying we are in the bottom 25 or even 50. Sure, our program was in the dumps back when GRob was there. The program has improved since GRob left. It's not great, but in the top 75 as programs go. I have had season tickets since '92 and went to most home games from about '84 to '92. The GRob years left a mark but we shall overcome.

Over the past decade, we are a bottom 50 school. This is not even remotely in question. if you dont see that, then WOW. Flip side, we are trending upwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom