Idea to get more students to games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Idea to get more students to games

HAs the student attendance at Syracuse games really been that lacking? I've watched every game but haven't really payed attention to the crowds, mostly because it was on my laptop.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

For the most part the students suck at arriving on time and staying to the end. They are bandwagon fans.

I thought about that...but remember as good as that sounds at best you get 1 bus of 40 for an early kickoff. Oswego State students drink more beer and actually study less than SU students and don't wake up any earlier. There are a ton of Cuse fans at Oswego St. If they could start with one bus and see how it goes...it might work and get up to 2-3 buses for better games. Realistically you need to leave alcohol off the bus...too much liability.
I agree... but a "free beer" sign on the bus will get them on it. Then pull a Shafer and lock the door (but don't beat the hell out of them)

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

For the most part the students suck at arriving on time and staying to the end. They are bandwagon fans.
That's terrible.

They need to realize that there are kids like me who were accepted to Syracuse, and would've given anything to attend there because of the history, sports and education, but couldn't go due to financial woes.

The most ugly sight in sports is a non loyal crowd.

I think the target areas are greek life. Lets be real, the greek life kids are the kids that will make the student section fun. They will be chanting, be rowdy, and filling the seats. I think if the SU Athletics office gave some incentive to greek organizations..it would fill the seats. Over 2,000 kids in greek life at SU

It's not about rewarding the students for going to the game, it's about making the entire football gameday experience better. With the location of the Dome, this will always be a struggle. If you live in the dorms, there's nowhere to go to tailgate. My friends that go to South Carolina usually don't care who the team is playing, they care which lot they're tailgating in. Also, let's relax on the students for the Wagner and Tulane games. If they don't show up for Clemson, then it's time to worry.

IS all this being based on two non conference games against horrible opponents where we destroyed them?

How many of you guys at age 19 would go to an alcohol free pizza party at 10:30AM? Or sat though 4 hours of a blowout? Remember, mot of these kids cannot drink in the Dome.

Winning generally solves everything, and just like hoops and everyone else it's an event driven audience.

The other alternative is reunite The Mexican Mudd Band, have them be the in house music.

HAs the student attendance at Syracuse games really been that lacking? I've watched every game but haven't really payed attention to the crowds, mostly because it was on my laptop.
Syracuse student sections have been a damn joke since the late 90's

That's terrible.

They need to realize that there are kids like me who were accepted to Syracuse, and would've given anything to attend there because of the history, sports and education, but couldn't go due to financial woes.

The most ugly sight in sports is a non loyal crowd.
I couldnt afford cuse either. Was my lifelong dream and i couldnt swing it. I have however been bleeding orange since birth and have more passion for the school than almost any alumni ive ever met so there is always that. Its a matter of local pride for the region and S.U. being a big part of it.

We should make the student section for football the opposite corner of the topps family fun zone and give the student section seats to the locals that go to games.

Syracuse student sections have been a damn joke since the late 90's
You mean during one of the worst stretches in SU football history? SU's not a school that draws a lot of its student base from the local areas. My roommates wouldn't have gone to as many of the games during our time on campus (08-12) if I wasn't a die-hard and constantly waking them up. It's easy to say that students should have pride in their university's football team, but after we lost to Akron by two touchdowns and Penn State by 40 in our first two home games of our freshman year, my roommates preferred to sleep in and save their money. Your view on the student section is completely off.

UM...no. Its actually right on target. You were the acception to the rule my friend. You are missing the point...show me another school with a good football program that has to bribe their students to go to the games. Im on board for Cuse letting students get into games for free as long as they come to games..which they don't.

Students want basketball tickets in level one? Prove you went to Five football games.
I agree with this completely. If you want some of the best seats in the house for basketball..you need to go to all the home football games. We shouldn't need to bribe them with prizes or beer...if they want bball then they have to go to football.

UM...no. Its actually right on target. You were the acception to the rule my friend. You are missing the point...show me another school with a good football program that has to bribe their students to go to the games. Im on board for Cuse letting students get into games for free as long as they come to games..which they don't.
But your entire premise if off, because we don't have a good football program (right now). Most of the current students couldn't tell you the last time we were ranked in the Top 25.

The program was one of the worst in college football very recently, if student attendance is poor, it shouldn't be surprising--especially in contrast to our basketball crowds. Keep in mind that most of these SEC schools with great football teams both in the past, AND now can't draw anyone for basketball--we're the opposite, and the only way to fix that is winning. As far as a comparable, Boston College, which has had a more successful program this past decade and is of a similar size, has a hard time drawing.

We should make the student section for football the opposite corner of the topps family fun zone and give the student section seats to the locals that go to games.

There are plenty of seats between the 30s for them.

But your entire premise if off, because we don't have a good football program (right now). Most of the current students couldn't tell you the last time we were ranked in the Top 25.
You seem to not understand what a good football program is. It is not having a good record for the last 4 years. It is having a rich tradition with elite players at the highest level, being in the top 15 all time for wins. Syracuse went through a down period which EVERY single program has gone through including Bama, notre dame etc. I guess if you havent been around for the duration i could see you not understanding what we are as a program.

You seem to not understand what a good football program is. It is not having a good record for the last 4 years. It is having a rich tradition with elite players at the highest level, being in the top 15 all time for wins. Syracuse went through a down period which EVERY single program has gone through including Bama, notre dame etc. I guess if you havent been around for the duration i could see you not understanding what we are as a program.
Please don't disrespect my knowledge of the history of the program. I grew up a town over from Elmira, and listened to my grandparents reminiscing about watching Ernie Davis play high school sports. Alabama is a giant public university (33,000 students) in a a part of the country where high school/college football dominates every aspect of life. Notre Dame is a cult, and I have no idea what their student section looks like because the locals pick up the slack and fill that stadium every weekend.

I couldnt afford cuse either. Was my lifelong dream and i couldnt swing it. I have however been bleeding orange since birth and have more passion for the school than almost any alumni ive ever met so there is always that. Its a matter of local pride for the region and S.U. being a big part of it.

You and I are very alike.

To be honest, student's couldn't give a damn about the history, they want the here and now. If you were 18-22, what would excite you more, our rich history, but lack of great teams recently--you seem to forget the 2011 season, one with so much hope early, but where we crash landed at the end--or Oregon, a team with not much history, but flash, speed, and style? Being 6-6 every year isn't going to excite students, especially with a basketball program as good as ours in comparison.

Playing in the ACC will help, the new opponents are exciting and will bring out program to a different level--the Big East was a definite detriment, football-wise.

Back to my point on Boston College, here's an article that kind of reiterates my point. They have the same issues as us, and though they have worse basketball attendance than us (believe me, MUCH worse), they make up for it with their big hockey crowds (why don't we have a hockey team again?).

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2012/...ge-football-clemson-attendance-alumni-stadium

The program was one of the worst in college football very recently, if student attendance is poor, it shouldn't be surprising--especially in contrast to our basketball crowds. Keep in mind that most of these SEC schools with great football teams both in the past, AND now can't draw anyone for basketball--we're the opposite, and the only way to fix that is winning. As far as a comparable, Boston College, which has had a more successful program this past decade and is of a similar size, has a hard time drawing.
Please don't disrespect my knowledge of the history of the program. I grew up a town over from Elmira, and listened to my grandparents reminiscing about watching Ernie Davis play high school sports. Alabama is a giant public university (33,000 students) in a a part of the country where high school/college football dominates every aspect of life. Notre Dame is a cult, and I have no idea what their student section looks like because the locals pick up the slack and fill that stadium every weekend.
Then you should realize that every program has down periods.

To be honest, student's couldn't give a damn about the history, they want the here and now. If you were 18-22, what would excite you more, our rich history, but lack of great teams recently--you seem to forget the 2011 season, one with so much hope early, but where we crash landed at the end--or Oregon, a team with not much history, but flash, speed, and style? Being 6-6 every year isn't going to excite students, especially with a basketball program as good as ours in comparison.

Playing in the ACC will help, the new opponents are exciting and will bring out program to a different level--the Big East was a definite detriment, football-wise.

Back to my point on Boston College, here's an article that kind of reiterates my point. They have the same issues as us, and though they have worse basketball attendance than us (believe me, MUCH worse), they make up for it with their big hockey crowds (why don't we have a hockey team again?).

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2012/...ge-football-clemson-attendance-alumni-stadium
Boston as a city is about 2 things...Pro boston sports and college hockey.
Syracuse as a city is about 1 thing. Syracuse basketball/football/lax.

Boston as a city is about 2 things...Pro boston sports and college hockey.
Syracuse as a city is about 1 thing. Syracuse basketball/football/lax.

Boston also has a much larger and denser metro area than Syracuse--and there are suburbs, which are really non-existant up here. They have enough people to handle all that, so really, we are on even footing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom