Ideal secondary starters | Syracusefan.com

Ideal secondary starters

Rocco

Watching you.
Based on all of the games, this is what I think is optimal:

Base 4-3-4 (Whigs, Reddish - if healthy, Morgan, Esk/Kelly; against running teams, sub Anderson in for Whigs).

Nickel - Esk/Kelly

Esk has the tools to be a player, but he has really struggled this year. I'm not sure if it's coaching, scheme or just bad instincts, but he has been responsible for a lot of the blown coverages. His tendency to bite on playaction is a killer.

Wilkes seems to do a lot of the same things, and his biggest problem is that he is the least athletic of the secondary, so he can't hide his mistakes.

I freaking love Darius Kelly. That kid is a worker, balls out on ST's, and has shown what he can on D. He is the most athletic of the d-backs IMO. Get him on the field.

From a cover perspective, we really need Reddish back. He is the only jammer on the team, and Whigs comes second. I wouldn't mind seeing Morgan coming down and playing corner against bigger WRs.

All in all, a big-time change needs to happen with the secondary. I really think it is the complicated zone schemes that Bullough/Reed have been running, but then again, it's hard to say. Clearly a lot of mental mistakes by the players, but there has to be a way to limit these mistakes. Use our athleticism to our favor. It seems pretty obvious that the playbook is a little too complicated for these guys right now. Dumb it down without exposing ourselves.

Great post, I think with this team on both sides of the ball we can do more with less. Take out the complication and confusion with the coverages and the play design. Be good at doing 5 things really well instead of being crappy at 15. It will help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

Consider this- Esk at corner. Previously they have said he is one of the better cover guys if not the best. If this is true and he is having difficulty with the schemes move him to corner. Man him up. There is nothing simpler than that.

Please call or email this into HCSS on Thursday during his show.

wilkes made the same mistakes last year so it's not anything they are doing differently this year.

eskridge didn't play enough to know but me thinks he's the ashton broyld of the defense if you know what I mean.

the losses of shu mungwa AND dontez ford were huge blows to the safety position.

we better find some guys. we lose 3/4 of the db's in the next 2 years and I doubt we find many Fr who will step in. our guys all need 1-2 yrs to develop.

On the other hand how many more looks will we be confused by. SS basically said they did a wrinkle they didnt expect and our guys messed it up. Do we only scout for what we see on film or do we never explain what could happen to the kids so they plan for things. the players should be asking the same question in the film room

On the other hand how many more looks will we be confused by. SS basically said they did a wrinkle they didnt expect and our guys messed it up. Do we only scout for what we see on film or do we never explain what could happen to the kids so they plan for things. the players should be asking the same question in the film room

this is concerning. too robotic. players need to recognize and adapt.

Sit Esk, start Kelly or Morgan. Kelly has a motor that doesn't stop and has wheels. We really need Reddish back this week.

I still think Desir might get more minutes at SS...eventually.

I still think Desir might get more minutes at SS...eventually.

SS or FS? I like Ritchy as a player, atleast when he knows what down it is. Made some nice plays including the pick on Saturday.

Honestly I don't know where he has been playing when he has gotten minutes...I know he's been listed as a SS on the SU roster.

The post-Lyn starters are Anderson, Esk, Wilkes and Reddish. Morgan moved over to be 1st CB off the bench. Technically Desir backs up Esk and Kelly backs up Wilkes. I'd like to see Kelly take over for Wilkes and be ready to float Desir in for both safety positions if needed.

Regardless, if we're in passing downs, we have to get Lynch off the field and bring in a true nickel (true Okie package). Somehow he's been out there too many times in passing situations. Much rather have Desir or Wilkes on a TE than Lynch. Let Lynch play the run and blitz.

The post-Lyn starters are Anderson, Esk, Wilkes and Reddish. Morgan moved over to be 1st CB off the bench. Technically Desir backs up Esk and Kelly backs up Wilkes. I'd like to see Kelly take over for Wilkes and be ready to float Desir in for both safety positions if needed.

Regardless, if we're in passing downs, we have to get Lynch off the field and bring in a true nickel (true Okie package). Somehow he's been out there too many times in passing situations. Much rather have Desir or Wilkes on a TE than Lynch. Let Lynch play the run and blitz.

Wilkes has been subbed in for on passing downs for at least the last two games. I think Davis has been the LB coming off the field in the Okie.

Wilkes has been subbed in for on passing downs for at least the last two games. I think Davis has been the LB coming off the field in the Okie.

Right. I'd rather see Kirkland in for Lynch and both Lynch and Davis off the field.

I'm excited to see what Morgan can do at corner.

I like a starting set of Morgan and Reddish, with Whigham the third and Anderson in spot duty.

I'm hoping that Kelly can overtake Wilkes.

I'm also happy to see Morgan at CB. That's what he played in high school and he seems to have the "you can't beat me mentality." You need that sort of brashness as a CB. I'm hoping Morgan and Reddish can limit some of these big plays we've been too accustomed to seeing this year.

Need all eight guys to play, and play well. Depth is a strenght, can't get to hung up on who is starting. Wilkes has already had his role limited to fit his strenghts. Whigs, Morgan, and Kelly need to increase their roles and production.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom