If Alexis Sanchez leaves Arsenal | Syracusefan.com

If Alexis Sanchez leaves Arsenal

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
people are saying he will go back to Spain, likely to Sevilla, or perhaps to Chelsea, where he is being mooted as a replacement if Chelsea want to cash in and sell Costa to China.

To me, though, the obvious fit for him would be Liverpool. He is exactly what Liverpool needs - a leader who hates to lose, and will drag people with him to get results. Plus his fast pace and angled runs behind defenders fits perfectly with what Klopp does offensively. If I were Fenway Group, Sanchez would be my top priority this summer. They have a good squad, but no leadership, and they really need a goal scorer in front.

Second choice would be Sergio Aguero, who looks like Man City will be shipping him out at the end of the season. Another great fit for Liverpool.

They need someone of that stature to lead the line; they also need a defensive center back, a left back, and another holding midfielder. I like Wijnaldum, but when paired with Henderson, neither one of them stays back on defense enough.

people are saying he will go back to Spain, likely to Sevilla, or perhaps to Chelsea, where he is being mooted as a replacement if Chelsea want to cash in and sell Costa to China.

To me, though, the obvious fit for him would be Liverpool. He is exactly what Liverpool needs - a leader who hates to lose, and will drag people with him to get results. Plus his fast pace and angled runs behind defenders fits perfectly with what Klopp does offensively. If I were Fenway Group, Sanchez would be my top priority this summer. They have a good squad, but no leadership, and they really need a goal scorer in front.

Second choice would be Sergio Aguero, who looks like Man City will be shipping him out at the end of the season. Another great fit for Liverpool.

They need someone of that stature to lead the line; they also need a defensive center back, a left back, and another holding midfielder. I like Wijnaldum, but when paired with Henderson, neither one of them stays back on defense enough.

Kind of funny... Arsenal left Sanchez on the bench, and Liverpool thrashing them at the half.

My FIFA team has Frontline of Ronaldo, Diego Costa, Harry Kane, Mario Goetze ... I'll see if I have the fund to add him during transfer period

Kind of funny... Arsenal left Sanchez on the bench, and Liverpool thrashing them at the half.

Reports afterwards said that Sanchez has been unprofessional and causing problems in training. That's why Wenger kept him on the bench. He gone. If he goes anywhere, though, I think Liverpool is the best fit; either him or Aguero are exactly what Liverpool needs up front.

I thought Juve was a possible destination as well?

Yes, Juve and a couple Spanish clubs, but not Barca or Real. Those are probably more likely, since I kind of doubt Arsenal would want to sell him to a rival.

I don't think Liverpool is high enough caliber for the likes of Sanchez... and I say that as a Reds fan.

Right now there is Barca/Real Madrid in tier 1, PSG/Man City/Bayern in tier 2 then Atletico, Juventus, ManU, Chelsea in tier 3 then clubs like Borussia Dortmund, Arsenal, Inter, Roma, AC Milan on tier 4 and then Liverpool, Tottenham in tier 5 along with a bunch of other clubs like Napoli, Bayer Leverkuzen, Schalke, Sevilla, etc... I don't think a player of Sanchez's caliber ever goes out of the top 3 tiers unless his skills start to deteriorate.

Also when Sanchez first left Barca, Liverpool tried to get him (this was after the season they finished second so they could offer Champions League) and one of the reasons Sanchez chose Arsenal was London vs Liverpool.

I don't think Liverpool is high enough caliber for the likes of Sanchez... and I say that as a Reds fan.

Right now there is Barca/Real Madrid in tier 1, PSG/Man City/Bayern in tier 2 then Atletico, Juventus, ManU, Chelsea in tier 3 then clubs like Borussia Dortmund, Arsenal, Inter, Roma, AC Milan on tier 4 and then Liverpool, Tottenham in tier 5 along with a bunch of other clubs like Napoli, Bayer Leverkuzen, Schalke, Sevilla, etc... I don't think a player of Sanchez's caliber ever goes out of the top 3 tiers unless his skills start to deteriorate.

Also when Sanchez first left Barca, Liverpool tried to get him (this was after the season they finished second so they could offer Champions League) and one of the reasons Sanchez chose Arsenal was London vs Liverpool.

I think you're a little harsh with your tiers. Liverpool is a historic club with worldwide backing in the most popular (and wealthiest) league in the world. Alexis wants to win badly. Liverpool has a very good squad, but needs a couple leaders to make them into a contender. I'm hoping they make the Champions League for next year, so they can draw those couple players they need - including someone like Alexis.

Personally, my hope is that Spurs and City get left out of the Champions League spots, with Mourinho getting 4th. Spurs have a young squad and they are all signed long-term, so they could take one more year of seasoning. They aren't losing Harry or Dele Alli, and will clearly be in the Champions League places in the coming years.

Pep is kind of a fragile psyche for such a decorated manager. He started out on fire in England, winning their first 10 games, and then went in a ditch, as he commanded his goalkeeper(s) to only play out of the back, despite the fact that they are ponderous in possession, have poor fullbacks and everyone presses the hell out of them.

I love the way Klopp coaches. I love his enthusiasm. Give him another summer, with Champions League to sell to incoming players, and let them nail down a couple tested leaders who have won things, and I think Liverpool will be back to where they used to be under Rafa Benitez.

I think you're a little harsh with your tiers. Liverpool is a historic club with worldwide backing in the most popular (and wealthiest) league in the world. Alexis wants to win badly. Liverpool has a very good squad, but needs a couple leaders to make them into a contender. I'm hoping they make the Champions League for next year, so they can draw those couple players they need - including someone like Alexis.

Personally, my hope is that Spurs and City get left out of the Champions League spots, with Mourinho getting 4th. Spurs have a young squad and they are all signed long-term, so they could take one more year of seasoning. They aren't losing Harry or Dele Alli, and will clearly be in the Champions League places in the coming years.

Pep is kind of a fragile psyche for such a decorated manager. He started out on fire in England, winning their first 10 games, and then went in a ditch, as he commanded his goalkeeper(s) to only play out of the back, despite the fact that they are ponderous in possession, have poor fullbacks and everyone presses the hell out of them.

I love the way Klopp coaches. I love his enthusiasm. Give him another summer, with Champions League to sell to incoming players, and let them nail down a couple tested leaders who have won things, and I think Liverpool will be back to where they used to be under Rafa Benitez.
I agree historically, Liverpool is great... but zero EPL titles ever and the EPL is over 20 years old now, right? They had a hot spell with Rafa and one out of nowhere run with Suarez, but have been pretty mediocre otherwise in the last 2 decades. I think the proof is in the pudding... Name the last proven world class player who went to Liverpool. I don't count Torres and Xabi as they became world class at Liverpool, just like Suarez. The clubs in the top 4 tiers do occasionally get a world class player from time to time. I say this as a Liverpool fan.

I do love Klopp but he has a problem... the epl knows how to beat his system. The good news is, outside of Mourinho, the good teams won't resort to packing it in and playing long ball but at some point they will if they know it works. He needs to find a way to punish teams who are happy to sit back. I also think the team is structured very poorly... outside of Mane I don't see a lot of really great players, just a number of decent ones who can be great on their day. Countinho flatters to deceive, although when he's hot he's hot... Firmino is not explosive enough, Lallana is close but he doesn't have that cutting edge that a true world class player does, Henderson is a ball circulator/winner but is more a grinder who doesn't offer much going forward, Can has some skills but is not athletic enough and doesn't have much presence, I that winjaldum was an attacking player but they use him like Henderson except he's a bit better moving forward... and for me the entire back range from decent to mediocre. This is with a payroll of 200+ pounds.

I dunno maybe i'm being harsh.. when they're on they're on but I don't see an Abumayeng, or Reus, or Mikhatyrian, or Kagawe, or Hummels or Lewandowski, or all those other dudes who Klopp had at Dortmund. Klopp's system works when they don't have the ball but he's going to have to find better quality to beat teams who let them have the ball.

Bayern is tier 1 with Barca and Real Madrid.

And Atleti tier 3? Ridiculous.

No english team should be above tier 3 at the moment.

Bayern is tier 1 with Barca and Real Madrid.

And Atleti tier 3? Ridiculous.

No english team should be above tier 3 at the moment.
i'm grading based on a spending power/player draw perspective. Regarding Bayern being below Barca and Real Madrid... I can't think of a star Barca or Real Madrid player who was playing who went to Bayern. Bayern typically gets guys after Real and Barca are done with them or before they are big like Xabi or Robben or Thiago (who is probably going to Barcelona this offseason). If Real Madrid or Barca want a star from Bayern they probably will get him not sure it works the other way.

Same goes for Atleti albeit this is based more on spending power than prestige. If anyone in tier 1/2 wants a player from Atleti they will probably get him. Based on that logic I should probably bump manu and maybe chelsea to tier 2 given that they can buy from atleti or Juve anytime they want but their castoffs go the other direction.