If anyone is doubting Babers as THE guy... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If anyone is doubting Babers as THE guy...

We have the worst talent in the conference in my opinion, and we lost our best QB and best running back(both Dungey) for the stretch plus a brutal schedule. 4-5 wins unfortunately sounds about right, in spite of where we were after Clemson. Dino is the man, people continue to forget that the systems he brought in are the complete opposite of what Shafer was running. And the Shafer kids were mostly 2 Star kids as is.

Absolutely behind Babers just frustrating. We are not only battling a tough ACC schedule but we can not not get ahead depth wise it seems to sustain a "consistently" good team. Sure players graduate but we are still dealing with bad recruiting (previous coaches), players getting medically DQ'd, players behind suspended. I mean look at this year 2 possible starting DE's off the team before the start of the season, 2 players, medically DQ'd. This type of offense is exactly what should be played in a weather free dome, I'm still in the air on the defense because that seems where the lack of quality depth is really missing. Just frustrating as I said because whatever step forward we seem to be taking we take another 2 steps back for various reasons.

Absolutely behind Babers just frustrating. We are not only battling a tough ACC schedule but we can not not get ahead depth wise it seems to sustain a "consistently" good team. Sure players graduate but we are still dealing with bad recruiting (previous coaches), players getting medically DQ'd, players behind suspended. I mean look at this year 2 possible starting DE's off the team before the start of the season, 2 players, medically DQ'd. This type of offense is exactly what should be played in a weather free dome, I'm still in the air on the defense because that seems where the lack of quality depth is really missing. Just frustrating as I said because whatever step forward we seem to be taking we take another 2 steps back for various reasons.
babers has given us great moments which gives hope. but overall, the results are just as bad as ever. you have to chalk it up to prior recruiting and hope the great moments are enough to turn it around - yes we stink which is why you'll play right away and here's the evidence that it can work

I'm against any extension full stop. Let him play out the contract. Day trading contracts has become such a bad precedent IMO. Jim Boeheim, Paul Pasqualoni never day traded their extensions, etc and trusted their abilities and the ability to have success at Syracuse.

Dino is obviously the guy but let's not get crazy about extending someone who came in with a market contract and has received upgrades at the school, private jet access, etc. Pump the brakes on it. If he wants to leave b/c we're not ripping up contracts, let him. It won't stop no matter what.

The market is not set by JB and Coach P. This isn't the time or place to take a "the real issue is the system, back in my day" kind of stand.

If Wildhack believes he's the guy and there is reason to believe you can come out of the talks with something that helps the program, you do it. Full stop.

Dino signed a 6 year deal reportedly worth 2.5m not including bonuses. He has 4 years remaining. His buyout which is significant this year starts to decrease next year. If we want him long term now is the time to extend as if he wins next year as expected he will receive offers that will IMHOP cost us way more to match than an extension now.

babers has given us great moments which gives hope. but overall, the results are just as bad as ever. you have to chalk it up to prior recruiting and hope the great moments are enough to turn it around - yes we stink which is why you'll play right away and here's the evidence that it can work

It's always been and always will be an uphill climb. I think Babers 1st two seasons have been 2 steps forward, 1 step back... But progress is progress.

I still think it's more likely that our "peer" programs fall back to earth a bit (NC State, Wake Forest, BC - Pitt already has). We haven't gone through what they got this season in a long time (2012) - same systems over a bunch of years, talent at key spots being JR/SR - because we keep starting over.

Next season's schedule is hitting at a nice time. Get 7 wins and some momentum heading into TD era, young Dino era recruits start maturing, etc.

I'm against any extension full stop. Let him play out the contract. Day trading contracts has become such a bad precedent IMO. Jim Boeheim, Paul Pasqualoni never day traded their extensions, etc and trusted their abilities and the ability to have success at Syracuse.

Dino is obviously the guy but let's not get crazy about extending someone who came in with a market contract and has received upgrades at the school, private jet access, etc. Pump the brakes on it. If he wants to leave b/c we're not ripping up contracts, let him. It won't stop no matter what.

LOL when was PP ever in position to ask for an extension? 1998?

Im not sure I would cite guys who were fired almost fifteen years ago as examples of not asking fr an extension.

It's always been and always will be an uphill climb. I think Babers 1st two seasons have been 2 steps forward, 1 step back... But progress is progress.

I still think it's more likely that our "peer" programs fall back to earth a bit (NC State, Wake Forest, BC - Pitt already has). We haven't gone through what they got this season in a long time (2012) - same systems over a bunch of years, talent at key spots being JR/SR - because we keep starting over.

Next season's schedule is hitting at a nice time. Get 7 wins and some momentum heading into TD era, young Dino era recruits start maturing, etc.
I'm not sure about NC State and Wake Forest. It probably depends on whether their coaches stay. They both seem to have built their teams for the long haul. I suppose we'll see if WF can replace their QB next year. As we know, that can make or break a program.

Dino signed a 6 year deal reportedly worth 2.5m not including bonuses. He has 4 years remaining. His buyout which is significant this year starts to decrease next year. If we want him long term now is the time to extend as if he wins next year as expected he will receive offers that will IMHOP cost us way more to match than an extension now.
So it sounds like working on an extension makes sense just to keep a healthy buyout in place.

We’ve been playing with lousy players for 15+ years. The difference this year is that we beat Clemson and played LSU and Miami tight in hostile road environments. Wake, BC and NC St will pull back some, no doubt.

Babers can make lemonade out of lemons. He needs more time to get his players in. We’ve been sucking wind for way too long. This guy has shown promise. Lock him up and let’s go all-in for once.

We’ve been playing with lousy players for 15+ years. The difference this year is that we beat Clemson and played LSU and Miami tight in hostile road environments. Wake, BC and NC St will pull back some, no doubt.

Babers can make lemonade out of lemons. He needs more time to get his players in. We’ve been sucking wind for way too long. This guy has shown promise. Lock him up and let’s go all-in for once.
i agree

LOL when was PP ever in position to ask for an extension? 1998?

Im not sure I would cite guys who were fired almost fifteen years ago as examples of not asking fr an extension.

i'm old school that way. getting an extension after finishing 4-8 for second year in a row seems to be absurd.

I would say Paul could have leveraged his situation after most of those early/mid 90 seasons. He only went to 3 BCS games so i'm sure there was a down in the dumps program that would have opened the checkbook for his staff to come in and get Syracuse results. My whole point is, and i'll defer to the old timers, Pasqualoni, during his salad days, never asked for raises or was trying to leave even with us winning 8-10 games.

More excuses. Wake's players aren't any better than ours and they blew our dang doors off. Oh Oh but we beat Clemson!!!! Gerg beat ND, BFD. The wins against VT and Clemson are actually more slaps in the face when you finish the season by losing out. Nothing like having hope only to have it buried like a stash of Atari 2600 E.T. carts in an AZ desert. This is some of the worst defense we've EVER played and because we did alright against some 2nd string signal callers people think Ward's ok. He's not. Letting LJ pick apart our zone all damn day was ridiculous. Ward sucks, the numbers bear it out. People blame injuries for our D falling off, I think it's the opposite. It was other teams injuries that made our defense look more competent that it really was.

Then I'm not sure you're ever going to be happy with SU Football. IMHO, he is undoubtedly THE guy. One must remember that he is still dealing with razor-thin depth and skewed top-to-bottom talent from Shaf. When Dungey got dinged up a few weeks ago, we knew his season was over shortly thereafter. Sadly, thus went our realistic chances at a bowl. Without Dungey this year, we get dismantled in many of the close games. That kid singlehandedly kept us in games by sacrificing his body and getting that extra yard. Unfortunately, we all knew he would likely not get up from one of the hits. It happened.

Babers has these kids dialed in. They're still so damn young. Yes, we're losing key players in Zaire, Parris, Ish and Erv, but also bringing back boatloads of underclassmen who have valuable playing experience under their belts. The biggest focus right now IMHO is closing this recruiting class out strong. It's currently the best class we've had in some time (and can get better), but the staff really needs to fight off some bigger schools down the stretch. Be prepared for some fireworks, hopefully good ones.

Simply put, Babers has proven that they can play with and outscheme the big boys. This season will not end how any of us want, but we're getting better every year. Who thought we would beat Clemson 2 years ago? Who thought we would go toe-to-toe with LSU in Death Valley, keep it close against The U in Miami or actually start getting some extended love on GameDay? This is all credit to what Babers and his staff have done for this program. Let us not forget that so quickly.

People might have forgotten about SU for the rest of this year, but with so many key pieces coming back next year to go with a stellar recruiting class, people will now pay close attention to SU Football. This is a fact. I fully expect us to crack the Top 25 over the next year or 2. I fully expect us to play in a bowl game every year moving forward. If things really keep improving, who knows, maybe we could compete for an ACC Championship in the next few years, too. The good news is that NONE of this is out of question anymore. That is huge to think about. We finally got a guy who gets it and is still building his foundation. The results will continue to impress people. Call me an eternal optimist, but something changed this year. It's palpable.

Have some faith folks. Dino is the answer.

Happy Thanksgiving.
I have NOT seen ONE post on here that HCDB is not the man! What is the point of this post? Just in case someone in the future question him as coach?

I have NOT seen ONE post on here that HCDB is not the man! What is the point of this post? Just in case someone in the future question him as coach?

What on earth are you talking about?

More excuses. Wake's players aren't any better than ours and they blew our dang doors off. Oh Oh but we beat Clemson!!!! Gerg beat ND, BFD. The wins against VT and Clemson are actually more slaps in the face when you finish the season by losing out. Nothing like having hope only to have it buried like a stash of Atari 2600 E.T. carts in an AZ desert. This is some of the worst defense we've EVER played and because we did alright against some 2nd string signal callers people think Ward's ok. He's not. Letting LJ pick apart our zone all damn day was ridiculous. Ward sucks, the numbers bear it out. People blame injuries for our D falling off, I think it's the opposite. It was other teams injuries that made our defense look more competent that it really was.

It’s not about excuses. It’s about looking forward. The defense is going to get mangled when the offense can’t stay on the field. Look at how well the defense held up in games against far better offenses. Having no offense or constant 3 and outs will lead to the defense getting slashed for yards.

Looking at depth charts we return 16 of 22 starters - Wake Forest and BC are the same; Pitt returns 17; NC State only 10. So I expect our peer programs to maintain or improve with the possible exception of State. And we played three of the four at home this year - on the road next. I know many consider this yer's schedule strength an anomaly but I don;t see next year's as being significantly easier. We can;t just keep pace anymore. We need to out recruit, out prepare, out coach and out execute to take a step forward in the ACC.

The market is not set by JB and Coach P. This isn't the time or place to take a "the real issue is the system, back in my day" kind of stand.

If Wildhack believes he's the guy and there is reason to believe you can come out of the talks with something that helps the program, you do it. Full stop.

Boeheim and Pasqualoni were/are unique characters.

They were not driven by money - they were completely satisfied with Central NY and had no desire to go anywhere else.

Their kind is rarely seen these days.

Wake's QB was much better than the QB who ran our offense that day - I love Mahoney but it's not even close.

And that's the most important position on the field.

And, Wake's OL was much better than our OL - the second most important position on the field.

Wake is a better team at this point - in my opinion.

Last edited:
You may love Mahoney but I don't. Yes there are many QB better than him.

The OL is on Dino, he wants his tall thin agile lineman, that's fine but when they get pushed around it's on him.

As far as Wake being a better team, we can go explore ranking, stats, etc but it's not like we played Bama. It was Wake. A team Shafer went 3-0 against. They scored 40 points against us in one half. The Cards didn't even do that to us in their own house. I haven't checked but that must have been the worst half of football in the Dino era and we didn't respond against the Cards. We gave up a TD in 2 plays to start the game. Did Dino lose the team after Wake? Nobody looked like they wanted to play on Sat.

You may love Mahoney but I don't. Yes there are many QB better than him.

The OL is on Dino, he wants his tall thin agile lineman, that's fine but when they get pushed around it's on him.

As far as Wake being a better team, we can go explore ranking, stats, etc but it's not like we played Bama. It was Wake. A team Shafer went 3-0 against. They scored 40 points against us in one half. The Cards didn't even do that to us in their own house. I haven't checked but that must have been the worst half of football in the Dino era and we didn't respond against the Cards. We gave up a TD in 2 plays to start the game. Did Dino lose the team after Wake? Nobody looked like they wanted to play on Sat.
Comparing the Wake teams that Shafer faced to this year isn’t the strongest point ever.

This year’s Wake team is 7-4.
They aren’t a crap team like they were when Shafer beat them.

Comparing the Wake teams that Shafer faced to this year isn’t the strongest point ever.

This year’s Wake team is 7-4.
They aren’t a crap team like they were when Shafer beat them.

They had a coaching change but not some wild talent turnaround since Clawson took over. They are still getting the same types of guys that they always did.

if babers wants to cut and run before his contract is up well then he never was the man for the job in the 1st place. best to find out sooner rather than later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom