If anyone is doubting Babers as THE guy... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

If anyone is doubting Babers as THE guy...

Read my post, it's pretty clear. I just don't get all of these post about doubting Babers. I haven't seen one post from anyone saying he isn't the one. These post get old because they apply to no one on this forum

If you say so. The doubts around here set in amazingly quick.

Everyone should know I'm all in with Dino, he's exactly the type of coach I wanted, and I hope he's here for a long time.

Having said that, in my next life, I'm going to be a college football coach. You get a 6 year deal, and after year 2, people want to extend your contract and pay you more, bowl game or not. Yeah, a bunch of anonymous internet clowns hate you, but who cares. They might as well be bots.

What a country.

(for college football coaches).

Other than totally disagreeing with everything you stated above I will say that I at least now feel like we are building towards something. You know what Babers wants to accomplish on offense, and to some people's disapproval, we know what they are trying to do defensively as well. There is a plan. They are recruiting towards that plan on both sides of the ball.

Under the prior regime it felt more like he was throwing something against the wall hoping it stuck. The offensive philosophy changed. Recruiting strategy changed. There was no plan in place.

Say what you want about Babers, and his 1 bad wth loss (MTSU), but other then that he has won games many staffs (not just Shafer) wouldn't have been able to win with the current personnel, and has competed in several others. More importantly there is a plan in place. When his story is all done and written we will all hopefully see that the scope is much bigger than year 2. He is implementing his system and getting the players in place. If his plan is executed correctly we won't really care about eeking out 6 wins in his 2nd season. Try to think bigger than right now.

Good post.

Babers has proven he can win the big games. Shafer, even though was a great guy, got dismantled in matchups against top competition. We beat Clemson and played LSU and The U to the ropes on the road. I mean, What?

The difference in head coaching ability is night and day between Babers and Shafer.

Looking at depth charts we return 16 of 22 starters - Wake Forest and BC are the same; Pitt returns 17; NC State only 10. So I expect our peer programs to maintain or improve with the possible exception of State. And we played three of the four at home this year - on the road next. I know many consider this yer's schedule strength an anomaly but I don;t see next year's as being significantly easier. We can;t just keep pace anymore. We need to out recruit, out prepare, out coach and out execute to take a step forward in the ACC.

Agree about the schedule. NC at home is easier than Miami on the road, but Notre Dame replacing LSU is no easier and as you mentioned we get 3 of 4 so called peer schools on the road. Honestly the first game may tell the tale. Lose to a G6 school for the 4th straight year and we are in trouble right off the bat.

Excited to see some faster LBs in the system next season. I love Zaire and Bennett as people, they're good personalities. But I think they were both exposed this season when it came to outside runs, zone reads, and coverage. Guys like Armstrong/Fagan/Richards were specifically recruited for this defense and I'm excited to see them play. Not to mention the freshmen we have on the way.

Excited to see some faster LBs in the system next season. I love Zaire and Bennett as people, they're good personalities. But I think they were both exposed this season when it came to outside runs, zone reads, and coverage. Guys like Armstrong/Fagan/Richards were specifically recruited for this defense and I'm excited to see them play. Not to mention the freshmen we have on the way.

Zaire and Parris were exceptional this year, but yes, not perfect.

There will more than likely be a drop-off in production out of that unit next year, but hopefully not as much as people might be thinking. Factor in the legit depth and talent across the DL and in the secondary and it shouldn't be much of an issue at all.

As a matter of fact, we’ve had more WTH losses under Dino than we had under DM or Shafer.

1. I think you're applying the same eye test to DM and Shafer - when the eye test fails due to tempo and more possessions. Just squint real hard and imagine last weeks game is over at the end of the 3rd Q and you have a DM/Shafer era blowout. They happened too, just feels worse due to tempo.

2. Shafer never had a win over top 25 team in 3 years. Closest he got in that time was -10 vs #21 Clemson in 2104 in year 2.

3. It took Saint Doug midway through his 2nd year to get a win over #20 WVU. Got another one over #15 WVU in year 3. And got one more with a win over #9 Louisville in year 4. All good wins. He had a close one vs #20 Rutgers in 2012 (-8) in year 4.

4. Dino Babers in year one has a win over #17 VaTech. In year two he gets a win vs #2 Clemson. We got close to #25 LSU (-9) and #8 Miami (-9) in year 2.

There are more wild swings due to tempo - but tempo and Babers system/philosophy gives us a punchers chance vs more talented teams. It's 10000% the way to go on offense. I think Ward did fine this year until his S went down - now we look like last years D with last years S.

1. I think you're applying the same eye test to DM and Shafer - when the eye test fails due to tempo and more possessions. Just squint real hard and imagine last weeks game is over at the end of the 3rd Q and you have a DM/Shafer era blowout. They happened too, just feels worse due to tempo.

2. Shafer never had a win over top 25 team in 3 years. Closest he got in that time was -10 vs #21 Clemson in 2104 in year 2.

3. It took Saint Doug midway through his 2nd year to get a win over #20 WVU. Got another one over #15 WVU in year 3. And got one more with a win over #9 Louisville in year 4. All good wins. He had a close one vs #20 Rutgers in 2012 (-8) in year 4.

4. Dino Babers in year one has a win over #17 VaTech. In year two he gets a win vs #2 Clemson. We got close to #25 LSU (-9) and #8 Miami (-9) in year 2.

There are more wild swings due to tempo - but tempo and Babers system/philosophy gives us a punchers chance vs more talented teams. It's 10000% the way to go on offense. I think Ward did fine this year until his S went down - now we look like last years D with last years S.
Look at Baylor's results under Briles. Look at Wazzu's results under Leach. Teams that play this style get burned sometimes, it happens. ESPECIALLY early in those coaches' careers. If we go 8-4 next season but lose some What games because we gave up too many points, I'll deal with it.

FWIW Greg Robinson beat ranked UL and ND teams on the road. I don't mind Babers offense as long as we figure out how to run the ball better. Defense is a huge issue. Starting QB's regularly gash Ward's D. Rushing 3 and dropping 8 into zone doesn't cut it, the opposing WRs are sitting under the zone or finding the pockets to sit in between the LBs and DBs because the QB has all day. Why is it people think the Tampa-2 somehow compliments this offense? The offense shouldn't care what the defense is doing as long as they are getting the ball back without points going on the board for the other team. Why can't we get after it, apply some pressure, and just give the ball back to the offense regardless?

FWIW Greg Robinson beat ranked UL and ND teams on the road. I don't mind Babers offense as long as we figure out how to run the ball better. Defense is a huge issue. Starting QB's regularly gash Ward's D. Rushing 3 and dropping 8 into zone doesn't cut it, the opposing WRs are sitting under the zone or finding the pockets to sit in between the LBs and DBs because the QB has all day. Why is it people think the Tampa-2 somehow compliments this offense? The offense shouldn't care what the defense is doing as long as they are getting the ball back without points going on the board for the other team. Why can't we get after it, apply some pressure, and just give the ball back to the offense regardless?
Shafer had no wins over top 25 teams and a lot of blowouts.

Shafer had no wins over top 25 teams and a lot of blowouts.
Because his OC, McFit was absolutely clueless and he was playing with a 4th string QB with Lester. Dino can't seem to beat anyone with a backup QB either. How many wins does Mahoney have as a starter? Do you really think this is a good defense?

Because his OC, McFit was absolutely clueless and he was playing with a 4th string QB with Lester. Dino can't seem to beat anyone with a backup QB either. How many wins does Mahoney have as a starter? Do you really think this is a good defense?
We were healthy and got destroyed at Northwestern, got embarrassed by Clemson, Georgia Tech in year one.

Shafer was in an over his coordinator who should thank his lucky stars he got to be a HC in a P5 league other than GRob his tenure is a stain on Syracuse football.

Look at Baylor's results under Briles. Look at Wazzu's results under Leach. Teams that play this style get burned sometimes, it happens. ESPECIALLY early in those coaches' careers. If we go 8-4 next season but lose some What games because we gave up too many points, I'll deal with it.

I have always been more concerned about getting the offense humming at a high level more so than defense, defense looked fine for most the season, Wake we got involved in a track meet in 2nd half and couldn't counter, would have looked a hell of a lot different if we could have, obviously.

Leach is interesting at WSU, 3-6 then 6-7, trending right direction, then 3-9 third year and I am sure many fans were like, CAN LEACH STILL COACH? does his system still work etc. defense stinks, etc. I have been embarrassed!!! Cougar Ish was staying home, questioning heart and scheme and then year 4, 5, and 6. ( 9 wins, 8 wins, and probably 10 this year)

I have always been more concerned about getting the offense humming at a high level more so than defense, defense looked fine for most the season, Wake we got involved in a track meet in 2nd half and couldn't counter, would have looked a hell of a lot different if we could have, obviously.

Leach is interesting at WSU, 3-6 then 6-7, trending right direction, then 3-9 third year and I am sure many fans were like, CAN LEACH STILL COACH? does his system still work etc. defense stinks, etc. I have been embarrassed!!! Cougar Ish was staying home, questioning heart and scheme and then year 4, 5, and 6. ( 9 wins, 8 wins, and probably 10 this year)
lots of syracuse fans just don't like college football that much. they vaguely know about games out west that are way too high scoring but they can just ignore those to avoid getting offended that harry carson isn't shutting down keith byars

The offense will get there. Another year on the O Line with the same coaches will go a LONG way. I've never been more confident in a coaching staff that has won 4 games in consecutive seasons to succeed.

We were healthy and got destroyed at Northwestern, got embarrassed by Clemson, Georgia Tech in year one.

Shafer was in an over his coordinator who should thank his lucky stars he got to be a HC in a P5 league other than GRob his tenure is a stain on Syracuse football.
A stain? Jeez man. Shafer was good to the kids and community and at least went to a bowl game. The last 2 years sucked but one was on McFit and the other was really due to injuries but I guess Dino's the only one who gets a pass on that. Shafer was playing 4th string QBs, not even Dino has had to dig that deep. But Dino loses a S and a QB and all is forgiven. Okie dokie.

lots of syracuse fans just don't like college football that much. they vaguely know about games out west that are way too high scoring but they can just ignore those to avoid getting offended that harry carson isn't shutting down keith byars

Yep.. Leach would drive people in Syracuse insane because he is a bit crazy but he is the type of coach that can succeed in strange places because he's unconventional with his approach. He's not perfect but he sticks to his plan and wins games by outscoring and if he gives up 65 he just wants to score 66 and is fine with it. Like I said, I am way more worried about the offense than defense and obviously we need 2 decent Qb's at all times. We really need to recruit another QB sooner rather than later, a shame they don't seem to be in line for a real good one this year, we can't have such a significant drop off from 1 to 2 anymore, it's a season killer

We got after it plenty this year. We blitzed more this year than last, actually it started toward the end of last year. Shafer's defenses both as coordinator and head coach would mix blitzes with dropping 8 into coverage. Remember the oakie package? We've been over matched athletically for much of the conference schedule. We made up for it with effort but we're worn out at LB and paper thin in the secondary.

I liked that Babers/Ward showed they're willing to adapt with the increased pressures this year. I think we'll see improvement as we get better athletes. We'll see some of that next year as our young dline has another year of maturity, we get guys back along with some new faces in the secondary, and we see new faces at LB.

Yep.. Leach would drive people in Syracuse insane because he is a bit crazy but he is the type of coach that can succeed in strange places because he's unconventional with his approach. He's not perfect but he sticks to his plan and wins games by outscoring and if he gives up 65 he just wants to score 66 and is fine with it. Like I said, I am way more worried about the offense that defense
A few locals have mentioned they heard something about him being looked at for the Tennessee job. As much as I want Tennessee to suck, I hope it happens just so I can watch the show.

A few locals have mentioned they heard something about him being looked at for the Tennessee job. As much as I want Tennessee to suck, I hope it happens just so I can watch the show.

I don't see him leaving WSU. Pullman is a perfect spot for him and I think he knows it and likes it up there. He's also got momentum on his side right now as well. Tenny has to high expectations as well. I wish he took Kentucky job at one point, that's his type of place. red headed step child in good conference and I don't think he wants to deal with 5 star prima donnas. Why give up past 6 years to go to another job. I watch WSU anytime I can and Leaches pressers are the best. Great follow on twitter as well, he engages with fans way more than any other P5 coach out there. Why? because he really doesn't give a F about so many things that others worry themselves sick about. I think it's because he's a lot smarter than most coaches, a lot.

He had a 5 minute story couple weeks ago about a streaker at some football game he was at when he was a kid that was hilarious. Out of left field

Last edited:
They had a coaching change but not some wild talent turnaround since Clawson took over. They are still getting the same types of guys that they always did.

If you can't grasp the concept of why wake is trending up then I'm not sure there is much hope for you to understand why babers is our best bet moving forward.

If you can't grasp the concept of why wake is trending up then I'm not sure there is much hope for you to understand why babers is our best bet moving forward.

Agreed, don't know why people cant admit that Wake is playing pretty good football and Clawson is a good coach and done a damn good job there. Crazy, Whatever floats ones boat I guess. I just think it's because 99% of Syracuse fans believe that it's 100% unacceptable to ever lose to Wake in football, well those days left town 15 years ago.

Agreed, don't know why people cant admit that Wake is playing pretty good football and Clawson is a good coach and done a damn good job there. Crazy, Whatever floats ones boat I guess. I just think it's because 99% of Syracuse fans believe that it's 100% unacceptable to ever lose to Wake in football, well those days left town 15 years ago.
Greg Robinson and Dino are the only two SU coaches to ever lose to Wake. Dino did it back to back years

Lmao, classic. 'If you don't know why I'm mad at you then you don't deserve to know!". I bet you have a great home life.

Lmao, classic. 'If you don't know why I'm mad at you then you don't deserve to know!". I bet you have a great home life.

Actually I do, thank you for asking. Not sure what that has to do with the topic at hand though?

It just seems like you don't grasp how important consistency is in college sports. We're on our 4th HC in the past 10-11 years. Name one other p5 program that has had as much coaching turnover as we have that is successful.

Why is Wake, NC state, FSU, Clemson, VT good every year? Hmmmm they all share something in common. (And I know Wake and NC state are just now starting to trend positively, but they finally have consistency).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom