If Bernie Fine comes out clear after all of this, I will react in this manner | Syracusefan.com

If Bernie Fine comes out clear after all of this, I will react in this manner

I don't think we get a clear comes out clear. It's more like a non guilty verdict in a murder case. One that leaves both sides disappointed.

The only way Fine comes out "clear" in this, is if Davis and Lang recant or are proven to have lied about this. Many posters here have missed this point in claiming Bernie's innocence. Here is what we know:
  • The SPD either did not investigate the initial allegations (2002-2003) or did investigate the allegations but did not charge Fine criminally, due to the statute of limitations having lapsed;
  • ESPN did not run its OTL story in 2003 because they were unable to corroborate Davis' allegations and were uncomfortable running a story calling someone a pederast without more substantiation;
  • SU's independent investigation, conducted by BS&K (highly reputable and arguably the top firm in NY, not just Upstate when it comes to private sector labor and employment issues), found no witnesses would substantiate or corroborate Davis' claims.
None of these three investigations found Fine to be innocent (maybe the SU internal investigation, but its doubtful).
The investigation that most supports Fine's innocence would be the one conducted internally for the University by BS&K. As general and labor counsel for Syracuse University, Bond's primary responsibility is to limit the University's financial and legal exposure. The easiest thing they could have done was to recommend that FIne be terminated after the investigation, regardless of the outcome (unless FIne has some sort of due process rights to his position ala tenure, in which case, it still would have been better for some third-party arbitrator to order the University to keep Fine employed). Who knows, maybe they did? But the fact that Fine remained tells me they were pretty comfortable, with the information that existed at the time, concluding that there was little credible evidence that supported Davis' claims.

Some people seem to have mistaken this thread as deadly serious and not a chance to have a moment of levity. Please stop talking about the definition of cleared.

Some people seem to have mistaken this thread as deadly serious and not a chance to have a moment of levity. Please stop talking about the definition of cleared.

I have no problem with levity in this instance (other than the fact Scrubs ing blows), nor am I insinuating that Fine has been "cleared." I havent posted at all on this issue yet, and since you mentioned a possible outcome, I just wanted to add my two-cents. That's all.

Keeping my fingers crossed that we can find evidence that something else seriously messed these two up. They are a utter train wreck both of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom