If by chance we win the NC this year, would JB retire? | Syracusefan.com

If by chance we win the NC this year, would JB retire?

HarrisonJBounel

All Conference
Just asking - if by chance we do win the NC this year, would JB retire?

I just don't see him announcing before a season that he is going to retire, coaching through that season, and doing the whole "farewell" tour thing. As satisfying as that might be for the fans, that just isn't him, IMHO.

It's gonna happen someday, and if not like this , then how?

Certainly possible. And you're right - there will be no farewell tour for JB.

I could see him agreeing to a "Jim Boeheim Day" maybe in conjunction with Midnight Madness or something. But I suspect that once he made his decision, he would want to be pretty much out of his successor's way, at least publicly, so as not to take any of the spotlight or authority away from his successor.

There are certain transition issues to be addressed, potentially as in a recruit agreeing to come here because he thought JB would be the coach. JB would want to do this in a way that wouldn't disrupt recruiting. But that kind of thing happens every year somewhere - I never heard of any recruit changing his mind about a school because a coach decided to retire. Fired, maybe, but that is a whole different set of circumstances that negatively reflects on the school.

I think he wants 900, who wouldn't if you are that close, so I would say he's back for at least one more. Especially with the talent we have coming in. He has seemed happy this year (most of the time) and I think he is having fun.

I think he wants 900, who wouldn't if you are that close, so I would say he's back for at least one more. Especially with the talent we have coming in. He has seemed happy this year (most of the time) and I think he is having fun.
Definitely see it both ways. Amazing season he has had this year considering the zoo it was in the beginning.
Winning a NC would just be a big to certain members of the media. In fact it might even want him to come back and do it again next season.

no way jb retires this year regardless of the ncaa outcome. if i had to guess i'd say 5 more years.

I'll definitely take the under.

No chance in hell

Tend to agree. I think he might have his sights set on 1000.

And with the Melo Center, the level of success we've had the past few years, and recruiting going like gang busters--why the heck not stick around for a few more years?

doubt it. We have MCW, Dajuan, a Senior Triche, Cooney one of our best shooters ever, a Young staff of Gmac and Red, Harvey Grants boy, CJ Fair, All American Christmas,
and Noel could be wearing orange.

We have so much talent I think it would be a very very hard to walk away. He has always wanted to recruit ACC kids and now he can.

Tend to agree. I think he might have his sights set on 1000.

And with the Melo Center, the level of success we've had the past few years, and recruiting going like gang busters--why the heck not stick around for a few more years?

I think if you asked him, the number 900 or 1000 is absolutely meaningless to him, although he could probably get to 1000 if he wanted to (but by that time, Coach K will have 1050). It's just a number. JB is not motivated by external goals like he's some regional salesman looking to make that vacation in Cancun.

I also think JB is not the type to stick around past his prime. The last thing he will want to have happen is to be perceived as the coach whose best days are behind him, and has let the game pass him by. He will want to get out well before that happens, while he is still at the top of his game.

On his show last night he made a couple reference that suggested he expects to be coaching in the ACC. See my post "The Coach's Show".

JB doesn't want to retire before Tim Higgins...

On his show last night he made a couple reference that suggested he expects to be coaching in the ACC. See my post "The Coach's Show".

THAT I could understand. He would not want to be thought of as the coach who was not up to the challenge of coaching in the ACC, however totally untrue that is.

I just don't see him announcing before a season that he is going to retire, coaching through that season, and doing the whole "farewell" tour thing. As satisfying as that might be for the fans, that just isn't him, IMHO.

IMHO he promised DC he would be his coach. No inside info. Just a hunch.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

A very wise man once told me...... "Never answer a question beginning with the word "if."

No way JB retires no matter what the outcome. He will lead the transition to the ACC and coach at least SU's first season there, maybe more.

Nope. He's going to stay longer than Mike would like. I'm betting at least 3 more years now, with the move to the ACC being delayed another year. He'll want a couple years in the ACC to help us get established. Before, I thought he might retire with a championship, but he is still in very good health, the machine is clicking on all cyclinders, and the longer we keep this run going, the easier it makes Mike's transition.

He'd return for #3. 1k wins and 3 titles, all at one school. I have a feeling that's his dream.

He'd return for #3. 1k wins and 3 titles, all at one school. I have a feeling that's his dream.

Thats become my dream for JB as his retirement has started to loom closer over the last few years. One can dream...

I say 2 more years, regardless of what we do in the tournament. But there's absolutely no chance of a farewell tour. Not his style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom