If Cooney keeps up this torrid pace for the next 3 yrs, the rest of the ACC will hate him as much... | Syracusefan.com

If Cooney keeps up this torrid pace for the next 3 yrs, the rest of the ACC will hate him as much...

OttosBestFriend

2nd String
If Cooney keeps up this torrid pace for the next 3 yrs, the rest of the ACC will hate him as much as they hated J.J. Reddick.

Mark it down... With his scrappy-aggressive defense and lights out shooting, we've got an "ACC villain" on our hands through April 2016.

Cooney, Cooney, he's our man if he can't do it nobody can!

U.G.L.Y
You ain't got no alibi
You're ugly
You're ugly

<<say it with attitude>>
imagesCAAZ0CXM.jpg

You're down,
We're up
You really do suck
We're right,
We fight,
That's right, we really shut you up,
Go ORANGE!
Go ORANGE!

If Cooney keeps up this torrid pace for the next 3 yrs, the rest of the ACC will hate him as much as they hated J.J. Reddick.

Mark it down... With his scrappy-aggressive defense and lights out shooting, we've got an "ACC villain" on our hands through April 2016.

Not a chance. Devendorf perhaps because he was so unlikeable to opposing teams. But Cooney will never approach Reddick, or Wojo, or a number of them. You might be underestimating the hatred of Duke most ACC fans have. Having spent about 20 years in ACC country, I can tell you it is unbelievably strong. If you ask 100 ACC fans their 5 least favorite college basketball players of all time (not even limited to ACC), I bet 90 of them would have 3 or more Duke players on the list.

No one will ever dislike him more than Big East teams hated Devo, especially the mid majors.

Not a chance. Devendorf perhaps because he was so unlikeable to opposing teams. But Cooney will never approach Reddick, or Wojo, or a number of them. You might be underestimating the hatred of Duke most ACC fans have. Having spent about 20 years in ACC country, I can tell you it is unbelievably strong. If you ask 100 ACC fans their 5 least favorite college basketball players of all time (not even limited to ACC), I bet 90 of them would have 3 or more Duke players on the list.

Even if you ask many non-ACC fans the most hated list will have many Duke players.

He could become hated but a few special things would have to happen. We'd have to own the ACC over the next three years, we'd have to do well in the tourney, and he'd have to go off on/hit game winning shots against a few teams before he'd be truly hated.

Here's my problem with the possibility of Cooney being hated. Sure, he could blow up on a given night, win with a buzzer beater, etc. But he just doesn't seem like the kind of guy that other fans would hate. CJ, Ennis, Cooney all seem pretty chill. I think Cooney has a fire in him, but he doesn't torture the other team with it.

Devo, going all batty in celebration, Fab with that half laugh/half smile after a rejection, more up in the other team's faces. Cooney just seems business like in that manner. Come to think of it, do we have anyone that could potentially be a villain, as perceived by opponents? Coleman, Grant maybe, but not so sure.

I'm not saying we need this personality, because I sort of like that the boys are all business.

Here's my problem with the possibility of Cooney being hated. Sure, he could blow up on a given night, win with a buzzer beater, etc. But he just doesn't seem like the kind of guy that other fans would hate. CJ, Ennis, Cooney all seem pretty chill. I think Cooney has a fire in him, but he doesn't torture the other team with it.

Devo, going all batty in celebration, Fab with that half laugh/half smile after a rejection, more up in the other team's faces. Cooney just seems business like in that manner. Come to think of it, do we have anyone that could potentially be a villain, as perceived by opponents? Coleman, Grant maybe, but not so sure.

I'm not saying we need this personality, because I sort of like that the boys are all business.
I see what you're saying, but sometimes that guy that just hustles all over the court because he's a hard worker gets under people's skin. That's pretty much what wojo was. He wasn't a jerk. He was just a guy that didn't back down and worked his butt off. When you do that and people assume you're not supposed to be good, it can rub them the wrong way. I can see that happening to Cooney, but I don't think, as a team, we're hated like Duke, so it's less likely.

I think Cooney will always be more of a 'thorn in your side' guy. If he can rise to arch-nemesis status, then things are looking good for us.

Last edited:
I see what you're saying, but sometimes that guy that just hustles all over the court because he's a hard worker gets under people's skin. That's pretty much what wojo was. He wasn't a jerk. He was just a guy that didn't back down and worked his butt off. When you do that and people assume you're not supposed to be good, it can rub them the wrong way. I can see that happening to Cooney, but I don't think, as a team, we're hated like Duke, so it's less likely.
Good point about Wojo. Maybe because I hated dukies so much that I just saw him as a villain and equated scrappiness to being a pest.

Regardless of how nice they are etc.

ACC teams are going to HATE Cooney, Ennis and probably Coleman.

It's just how basketball works.

That's how it'll be I'm telling you.

i believe jj redick stepped immediately onto the court as a starter and star at duke. luv him or hate the dude shot 40% from trey and was absolute money on the line. trevor cooney's path thus far has taken a radically different arc . he's worked hard for his time on the court and after struggling all last year has had a great start so far this season. we'll see if he can keep it up but it's hard to hate on a guy who works his tail off.

Wojo sucked. He couldn't play and tried too mask his deficiencies with "grit and hustle". All the while Dickie is singing his praises. Enough

Wojo sucked. He couldn't play and tried too mask his deficiencies with "grit and hustle". All the while Dickie is singing his praises. Enough
No D1 starter "sucks," and he certainly didn't, given that he's 8th all time at Duke in steals and assists. But your description reinforces my point. He's a guy that had a full ride and was a starter for a high level program despite being viewed as not having high level talent (that's debatable, given he was a McDonald's All-American). He pulled it off because of grit and hustle. That's why people hate him. It's ok when Jabari Parker beats you because he's supposed to. You hate when a guy like wojo beat you because he's not talented enough to do it, but just out worked you.

Last edited:
There is not much to hate about our team from an individual level.

The last team we had that had unlikable characters for a non SU fan was the 2009 team with Flynn, Devendorf, Harris. These guys had a little more flair on the court that rubbed people the wrong way.

yeah, the ACC hates Duke . . . but things are about to change.

Here come the Yankee interlopers, with their northeaster street ballers (you can decipher those code words for yourselves) and their gimmick defense and their coach with the funny sounding name (another one for you to decode).

If Syracuse wins the ACC in its first season, all of the old ACC will be united in a new hate object. Hatred of the carpetbagger might be the only thing that can unite even UNC and Duke

They'll only hate Cooney as much as Redick if ESPN does a big feature on how he writes poetry, too.

The worst ESPN feature was on Reddick and Adam Morrison playing xbox together. I almost literally can't think of anything I could care less about than the fact that those two 2006 Douche of the Year finalists played xbox together.

We're not as white? S'alright.

Here come the Yankee interlopers, with their northeaster street ballers (you can decipher those code words for yourselves) and their gimmick defense and their coach with the funny sounding name (another one for you to decode).

If Syracuse wins the ACC in its first season, all of the old ACC will be united in a new hate object. Hatred of the carpetbagger might be the only thing that can unite even UNC and Duke

Do we have to go there? Do you think that's why they hated Miami last year, or was it more likely 'cause Miami kicked their asses? These generalizations are hypocritical to what they supposedly oppose. I'm sure we can find enough to mock them about(if we feel we need to do so) without this.

I mean the thread is about Cooney for crying out loud(hello?)...the baddest street baller of them all.

Last edited:
He could become hated but a few special things would have to happen. We'd have to own the ACC over the next three years, we'd have to do well in the tourney, and he'd have to go off on/hit game winning shots against a few teams before he'd be truly hated.
So you're saying they will hate him?