If Cooney keeps up this torrid pace for the next 3 yrs, the rest of the ACC will hate him as much... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Cooney keeps up this torrid pace for the next 3 yrs, the rest of the ACC will hate him as much...

yeah, the ACC hates Duke . . . but things are about to change.

Here come the Yankee interlopers, with their northeaster street ballers (you can decipher those code words for yourselves) and their gimmick defense and their coach with the funny sounding name (another one for you to decode).

If Syracuse wins the ACC in its first season, all of the old ACC will be united in a new hate object. Hatred of the carpetbagger might be the only thing that can unite even UNC and Duke

I dont mean to quibble, and its a silly argument, but the fact is that there is zero chance the level of hatred the ACC collectively has for SU will ever approach that which they have for Duke. Zero.

yeah, the ACC hates Duke . . . but things are about to change.

Here come the Yankee interlopers, with their northeaster street ballers (you can decipher those code words for yourselves) and their gimmick defense and their coach with the funny sounding name (another one for you to decode).

If Syracuse wins the ACC in its first season, all of the old ACC will be united in a new hate object. Hatred of the carpetbagger might be the only thing that can unite even UNC and Duke

You could be right about this, but I doubt it.

As I understand it, the rest of the ACC feels that Duke is (or are) already the Yankee interlopers given where the majority of Duke students come from (NY, NJ, PA, MD etc). So, SU and Pitt aren't all that much more "Northern" than is Duke.

UVA and especially Maryland have very large segments of their undergraduate students from the Northeast charging them an inflated full price that effectively subsidizes their in-State student population. Add to that the large number of people that have moved from the North to the South.

We may hear some complaints about SU being a Northern school, but only if we are successful. I don't think BC has gotten a lot of negative blow-back.

I'm guessing you are over dramatizing this. Regionalism is slowly dying. We are much more likely to get questions about Boeheim's sideline nasal passage excavation than we are complaints about Sherman's March to the Sea.

Terry McAuliffe -- a Syracuse native and Bishop Ludden grad --- was just elected Governor of VA. So much for the effectiveness of the "Carpetbagger" charge.

I dont mean to quibble, and its a silly argument, but the fact is that there is zero chance the level of hatred the ACC collectively has for SU will ever approach that which they have for Duke. Zero.
If you're saying within the next 5 years, I agree. In the next 15 anything can happen. Part of the hatred for Duke is their success. If we were to dominate the league in a Duke like fashion we'd be hated.

Devo, going all batty in celebration.

I miss him.

devendorf-ot-game.jpg

There are two ways to be a hated player: talk and occasionally back it up or get excessive fawning media coverage. Cooney will never get the fawning media coverage like Dukies to make him a hated player and he doesn't have Devo 's or Marshall Henderson's attitude.

I will too. Probably my favorite spontaneous pose ever. Look at his face, and his teammates'. What an awesome moment that was, as long as it lasted anyhow.
That face is awesome in this picture, hahahaha, Devo! And I do mean Devo's face, not Andy's. You guys are too hip a crowd for me. :)

That face is awesome in this picture, hahahaha, Devo!

If I could give you ten likes on this I would. That is pure defiance, a masters of the universe moment,

Why can't anyone just say what many of us are thinking...

College basketball fans tend to have an aversion that leans towards hatred of "plucky" and "never back down" white guys - And Cooney fits that mold.

It's a strange phenomenon... but it's true.

Per Grantland, many of the most hated college players of the last 30 years are white (or at least "half")

And look at the "Elite 8" of a bracket Grantland did with 32 players...

I looked up the results of the bracket and found that 5 of them were full Caucasian and then there were Rick Fox and Joakim Noah - both more than half Caucasian.

America hates white ballers.

GRANTLAND ELITE 8 - MOST HATED COLLEGE HOOPSTERS
Most hated: Christian Laettner (white)
Runner-up: Tyler Hansborough (white)
Semifinalist: Eric Montross (white)
Semifinalist: Rick Fox (half-white half-black)
Quarterfinalist: J.J. Redick (white)
Quarterfinalist: Danny Ainge (white)
Quarterfinalist: Mateen Cleaves (black)
Quarterfinalist: Joakim Noah (3/4th white 1/4th black)

Entire Article with Bracket

College basketball fans tend to have an aversion that leans towards hatred of "plucky" and "never back down" white guys - And Cooney fits that mold. ...
All of those guys on that list received an abnormal amount of press. The media love to push "scrappy" and "gritty" white guys. "They're not talented or athletic, they have to work to get where they are" (except that they're all exceptionally athletic). Look at Aaron Craft. He's not a great college basketball player (a very good one though), but he gets constant fawning from the worldwide leader. Same with Tyler Hansborough because he was "psycho T" (<a href="https://vine.co/v/hdtJZjIVYbw">or not</a>.

People just don't like having stories pushed down their throat.

Devo is probably in my opinion the most underrated player we've had, at least in my lifetime.

If Cooney keeps up this torrid pace for the next 3 yrs, the rest of the ACC will hate him as much as they hated J.J. Reddick.

Mark it down... With his scrappy-aggressive defense and lights out shooting, we've got an "ACC villain" on our hands through April 2016.

Really? You think they will hate Cooney this much?

College basketball fans tend to have an aversion that leans towards hatred of "plucky" and "never back down" white guys - And Cooney fits that mold.

It's a strange phenomenon... but it's true.

Per Grantland, many of the most hated college players of the last 30 years are white (or at least "half")

And look at the "Elite 8" of a bracket Grantland did with 32 players...

I looked up the results of the bracket and found that 5 of them were full Caucasian and then there were Rick Fox and Joakim Noah - both more than half Caucasian.

America hates white ballers.

GRANTLAND ELITE 8 - MOST HATED COLLEGE HOOPSTERS
Most hated: Christian Laettner (white)
Runner-up: Tyler Hansborough (white)
Semifinalist: Eric Montross (white)
Semifinalist: Rick Fox (half-white half-black)
Quarterfinalist: J.J. Redick (white)
Quarterfinalist: Danny Ainge (white)
Quarterfinalist: Mateen Cleaves (black)
Quarterfinalist: Joakim Noah (3/4th white 1/4th black)

Entire Article with Bracket

To be fair, it may not be just because they're white. And as others said, the media plays a part, and the media knows damned well the consequences of it's actions. To think otherwise is to be extremely naive. Plenty of articles totally unrelated to sports that lay down all the reasons for such, which can now be witnessed in plain sight these days even in advertising. But I'm not going into dangerous waters because like everyone else, I fear the lateral control mechanism where we're used to keep each other in check(I think that's explained in a you tube video called the story of your enslavement). At least Trevor kicks the stereotype about jumping in the balls.

EDIT: i need to stay away from serious topics when drinking. I'm no Bukowski(yet)

Last edited: