If cuse and duke r 1 seeds, can duke bump | Syracusefan.com

If cuse and duke r 1 seeds, can duke bump

gilardino

Starter
us out of boston and send us out west as a 1 and duke gets boston as a 1?

I don't think so. I think the only reason we lost the East in 2010 was because Arinze was hurt.

Hell no. Duke would go to Phoenix. If and when we get a #1 seed it will be as the East #1.

As of today, no chance. We'd have to slip up considerably and Duke may need to run the table to make that happen.

I cannot fathom us not being in the East Regional, no matter what our seed is. And if we win our last three regular season games, or even go 2-1, we will absolutely be a 1 seed and playing in the East. Duke has virtually no chance to jump us.

If Duke beat Florida State and North Carolina 2 times each which they could and won out AND Syracuse lost to either UConn/Louisville AND lost in the BET Quarterfinals THEN MAYBE. Anything short of this it impossible for Duke to pass unless we suffer major injuries.

We got bumped out of the East because we were hosting it.
Duh. I meant to say that Duke jumped over us that year and sent us to the West as the 4th number 1. Thanks.

If Duke beat Florida State and North Carolina 2 times each which they could and won out AND Syracuse lost to either UConn/Louisville AND lost in the BET Quarterfinals THEN MAYBE. Anything short of this it impossible for Duke to pass unless we suffer major injuries.

when it comes to duke and the selection committee, impossible is nothing.

If Duke were to get the #1 seed in the West, can they still play their first round/second game in Greensboro? That would be par for the course.

If Duke wins the ACC tourney, and we lose in the 1st round of ours, it's absolutely on the table.

I've underestimated the impact of conf tournies too many times. I've finally learned that those are almost mini seasons themselves. Winning the ACC tournament, regardless of who you played to do it, is still winning the ACC tournament. And that will earn a ton of respect from the committee.

If Duke wins the ACC tourney, and we lose in the 1st round of ours, it's absolutely on the table.

I've underestimated the impact of conf tournies too many times. I've finally learned that those are almost mini seasons themselves. Winning the ACC tournament, regardless of who you played to do it, is still winning the ACC tournament. And that will earn a ton of respect from the committee.
And that fact will remain true up until the day we win the ACCT.

If Duke were to get the #1 seed in the West, can they still play their first round/second game in Greensboro? That would be par for the course.

They pretty much are assured of that.

I feel like in general, the committee doesn't put too much on it. Someone mentioned UConn lost their first BET g ame in 2009, got a 1, we did the same in 2010, lost out last 2 games in fact. There are probably examples that go against me though.

They pretty much are assured of that.

I feel like in general, the committee doesn't put too much on it. Someone mentioned UConn lost their first BET g ame in 2009, got a 1, we did the same in 2010, lost out last 2 games in fact. There are probably examples that go against me though.
My sense of it is that's it's not a killer to lose early, but it's a major boost to win one. If you lose early, you're at risk of being passed by anyone near you in the rankings who can win theirs or get to the finals.

My sense of it is that's it's not a killer to lose early, but it's a major boost to win one. If you lose early, you're at risk of being passed by anyone near you in the rankings who can win theirs or get to the finals.

When it comes to one seeds the committee puts way more into what you did during the regular season and not in 3 days of a conference tourney. The fact is we have been a top 5 (top 2 team actually) for the entire year. Even if we did stumble and finish 29-2 going into the BET and lose in the quarters we still will get a one seed. Too many top 25-50-100 wins and we also won the conference regular season.

Yeah, I think the 1 seeds are often locked in by the time conf tournament starts.

Actually, now that I think of it, 3 years in a row the BE regular season champion has lost their first round BET game and gotten a #1 seed.

I sure hope we don't get bumped. Depending on how the last few games of the season go, for all involved, it's possible that the we could end up with the same 4 #1 seeds as in 2010 (Syracuse, Kansas, Duke, Kentucky). But in 2010 we were displaced because of a weak end to the regular season, loss in the BET and injury of AO. If we win-out this regular season then it's a moot point. I think the chances of being usurped by Duke are pretty slim.

At least someone gets it

Ryan (Boston)​

I'm a Syracuse fan living in Boston. Should I be getting my tickets for the East regional now? What would have to happen for Syracuse to not get the #1 seed in the East?
Dana O'Neil​

(2:25 PM)

Ryan: Armageddon. If I'm a Cuse fan, I'm presuming they'll be targeted for Boston and if I'm a Kentucky fan, ready myself for Atlanta. After that, open season.

When it comes to one seeds the committee puts way more into what you did during the regular season and not in 3 days of a conference tourney. The fact is we have been a top 5 (top 2 team actually) for the entire year. Even if we did stumble and finish 29-2 going into the BET and lose in the quarters we still will get a one seed. Too many top 25-50-100 wins and we also won the conference regular season.
I think SU and UK this year are examples where the regular seasons are so dominant that they can't be moved off the 1 seed line based on a conf tourney.

Now, shifting within that seed line, I'd like to think no, but Duke, Kansas, and UNC are involved, so...

Exactly. Duke in 2010 is the perfect example: http://www.dailyorange.com/news/new-connective-corridor-director-supports-city-engagement-1.2790713

They had five losses on Selection Sunday; we had four. They leapfrogged us after winning their (mediocre) tournament even though we were regular season champions (by two games) and lost a close quarterfinal game to a team that had been in the top ten for much of the season (and that we'd beaten twice - and that had blown out Duke a few weeks earlier).

Say we lose three of our last four and Duke wins out. Not only might they get #1 in the East, I think they'd be almost certain to do so.

(As an aside, look at their rankings in 2010. Even after bad losses to unremarkable teams, they hardly dropped. They really are judged by a different standard.)

Exactly. Duke in 2010 is the perfect example: http://www.dailyorange.com/news/new-connective-corridor-director-supports-city-engagement-1.2790713

They had five losses on Selection Sunday; we had four. They leapfrogged us after winning their (mediocre) tournament even though we were regular season champions (by two games) and lost a close quarterfinal game to a team that had been in the top ten for much of the season (and that we'd beaten twice - and that had blown out Duke a few weeks earlier).

Say we lose three of our last four and Duke wins out. Not only might they get #1 in the East, I think they'd be almost certain to do so.

(As an aside, look at their rankings in 2010. Even after bad losses to unremarkable teams, they hardly dropped. They really are judged by a different standard.)
You are forgetting one thing. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. cuse brings thousands to Boston. No chance Duke gets the east.

You are forgetting one thing. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. cuse brings thousands to Boston. No chance Duke gets the east.

I've wondered this. Does Duke not draw as well in Boston as they do in the Tri-State area?

I missed the boat on Boston tickets through Ticketmaster, but am waiting to pull the trigger on Stubhub. $314.99 for all sessions is the best price right now. Think that'll come down? Think someone like Duke as a #2 in that region would send prices higher?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom